News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT350 air cleaner decal

Started by KShane, September 04, 2020, 01:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jbrooks on December 20, 2020, 12:28:42 PM
If the Cobra sticker is at the six o'clock position on the air cleaner, what position should the smaller air cleaner sticker be placed?  I saw it mentioned that it should be 180 degrees, but the picture above shows it offset a little (like the 1:30 position). Searching Google, I see it at both positions as I go through the pictures.

Thanks in advance.
I believe it was meant to be at the 12 o'clock position but variations happened . Just another example of variations that happen in mass produced conditions.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jbrooks

Thank you Bob. My new stickers are supposed to arrive this week, and I wanted to confirm where to place them. Thanks!
67 GT350 #2260
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Jbrooks

It does touch up the engine bay, and it had to at least gain another 5 hp!  Thanks for the knowledge share.
67 GT350 #2260

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jbrooks on December 24, 2020, 05:36:23 PM
It does touch up the engine bay, and it had to at least gain another 5 hp!  Thanks for the knowledge share.
If you are concerned about the correct look of stickers then remove the sticker from the oil breather cap on the valve cover because it did not get one. Also the plaza fiberglass sticker is placed in a out of the ordinary location. It is commonly placed up by the hood latch end of the hood. It varied where it was placed up by the hood latch but I have not ever seen any evidence of it down low where you placed it.If you would like more meant to be friendly and helpful critique let us know.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jbrooks

Bob,

Thanks for the input. Minus the rebuild on the 289 (that I just finished last month), the car is just the way I bought it 6 years ago. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
67 GT350 #2260

J_Speegle

An earlier discussion (with pictures) on the Plaza sticker location that might help

Looking at your picture (we're getting off thread a bit) a few simple things that jump out that are pretty easy to correct

-Your master cylinder- with lid, and booster - with check valve would have been painted semi-gloss black as a unit (so filter holder/spacer also) off the car before installation.

- Of course the bright colored shocks draw your eyes to them also. Konis of course would not have been original but you likely knew that

- Visible and likely the other freeze plugs would have been installed before the engine was painted.

All offered in an attempt to help and not to belittle the effort or car.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Jbrooks

Jeff,

Again, my feelings won't get hurt about differences with my car, so thanks for the input. It's 53 years old and has passed through some hands before me, so I'm not surprised that some things were changed. I really enjoy learning more about my car, so thank you for the information.
67 GT350 #2260

Bob Gaines

To add to the things Jeff pointed out are the radiator hose hose clamps. They should be the wire type instead of the tower type currently on the car. The bypass hose from the intake to the WP should be painted engine color,The intake bolts appear to be hardware store variety and should be exchange for typical 67 289 cast iron intake bolts and since thyey were reused from when the cleveland engine plant made the change the bolts should be painted Engine blue and evidence of tool marks from the work would be normal. If you can't find some original then AMK will have replacements suitable for most  levels of concours competition (or your peace of mind).Another easy fix is correct hardware needed for the battery hold down (correct nuts).Nuts should have spinning attached washer. You have a 1970 and later power steering) dipstick. A nice repro is available if a original (writing on thumb pull) is not available. I would consider exchanging your after market positive battery cable with a correct Marti replacement available from Virginia Classic Mustang or NPD. All easy fixes .I'll let others critique further .

Jbrooks

Bob,
Do you have a picture of bypass hose that is painted?  I've tried finding a picture on google, but I haven't found one. Thanks for the input.
67 GT350 #2260

J_Speegle

Quote from: Jbrooks on December 29, 2020, 07:14:40 PM
Bob,
Do you have a picture of bypass hose that is painted?  I've tried finding a picture on google, but I haven't found one. Thanks for the input.

Not Bob but here is a picture. Age and manipulation has cracked and allowed some paint to chip off in this example. Unfortunately pictures from the era were mostly black & white and the detail does not show up 

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Here are a couple restored cars, sorry top radiator hose is blocking the view, can see some of the ends
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Skidado

"...the HIPO sticker [was] not typically used."

Does this mean that the white and blue COBRA sticker was used on most, but not all '67 GT350s?  Did some come from SA with the 289 High Performance sticker on the air cleaner lid?

Which one would you expect to see on #2751?

Guidance here much appreciated.

David.

JD

Quote from: Skidado on February 22, 2021, 08:22:49 AM
"...the HIPO sticker [was] not typically used."

Does this mean that the white and blue COBRA sticker was used on most, but not all '67 GT350s?  Did some come from SA with the 289 High Performance sticker on the air cleaner lid?

Which one would you expect to see on #2751?

Guidance here much appreciated.

David.

The blue on white COBRA version
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

T-Bone68

Just capturing a relevant data point.  From the current BAT auction of Dave Mathews / Colin Comer owned "SAAC Unrestored-Class-Winning 1967 Shelby Mustang GT350" #3002.  I'm sure multiple versions went out the door over the year of production.

TLea

Unrestored is a broad paintbrush. Likely decal was changed by PO just like hose clamps at filter