News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fender apron VIN stamping

Started by 1109RWHP, September 05, 2020, 10:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1109RWHP

Is it normal to have two VIN stampings on the driver's side fender apron? This is a regular Mustang not a Shelby.

J_Speegle

If your asking about a San Jose Mustang in 67 yes
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1109RWHP

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1109RWHP on September 05, 2020, 11:00:37 PM
No, it is a Metuchen car.

Yes I have examples of dual (one set over the other) on the driver's side front inner panel from NJ in 67 also

Not unusual for them to be stamped inward enough for both to be visible with the fender on the car
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1109RWHP

I can see both with the fender on. 67 had a VIN tag on the right side of the dash correct? Was it attached to the metal dash of the pad?

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1109RWHP on September 06, 2020, 07:46:32 PM
67 had a VIN tag on the right side of the dash correct? Was it attached to the metal dash of the pad?

No the VIN tag visible through the windshield (attached to the top of the dash) started in 68 production

69mach351w

Here's our Metuchen Oct 66 built with double stamping seen with fender on.

Of course this is a 30 yr old enamel paint job and the dumbazz that painted it for my late dad in law then painted the red like you see it 🙄

1109RWHP

That's the way mine is. Looks like another star between the 122 and the 13.

Coralsnake

It was designed so one number was to be visible, with the second number under the fender. Not uncommon at all.

69mach351w

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 07, 2020, 07:04:20 AM
It was designed so one number was to be visible, with the second number under the fender. Not uncommon at all.
Pete, look closely thats the drivers side fender and it was purposely put in The open and not under the fender. If you notice there's the cutout of the fender.

Coralsnake

I understand. The error is not that is double stamped.

It is not stamped in the correct location.

One number was designed to be hidden. The other hidden VIN should be on the other apron.

69mach351w

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 07, 2020, 10:01:20 AM
I understand. The error is not that is double stamped.

It is not stamped in the correct location.

One number was designed to be hidden. The other hidden VIN should be on the other apron.
BINGO,

That's exactly what the error is. Is that IT IS double stamped on the DRIVER'S SIDE. Pete what you said dont even make sense. Sorry

Coralsnake

Im saying it should be double stamped on the drivers side fender apron.

One visible, one hidden, not confusing at all.

There should be another hidden VIN on the passenger apron.

69mach351w

Yea, was confusing.  Just that you weren't specific in reply #11 on the sides, whether passenger side or drivers.

No problem.