News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 Shelby nylon oil gauge tube sleeve

Started by V8Dave, September 07, 2020, 07:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8Dave

Hello Everyone.
I am looking for a new protetctive sleeve to slide over the nylon plastic mechanical oil tube going to the 67 shelby mechanical oil pressure gauge.(protect it from heat and damage in the engine bay)
I have tried searching the web for what im looking for however i can not seem to find it listed anywhere.I have tried searching for oil sleeve/oil protective sheath/ high temprature oil sleeve? no luck.
The only place i have seen something very similar to what i am looking for(whats on it now that im trying to replace with new) is what is used on the new alloy metal resistance wire that you can buy to replace your old wire in your harness.That has the same protective black sleeve on that im currently looking for.
Im sure you can buy it in a roll to the length you require however not knowing exactly what its called im struggling to find it listed online.
Does anyone know exactly what its called or where to find any or purchase any from? I believe its kinda similar to what was used on the heat choke pipes on mustangs to protect the pipe, also maybe used on the door latch rods inside the door to stop them from vibrating maybe just a different colour? I could be wrong.
Also another quick question did the 67 gauge cluster harnesses all have fomoco sticky ID tags on the backs of the harnesses to id them as tach/non tach harnesses?
Thank you all once again for any help you can provide me.
Sorry for awkward questions.
Many thanks everyone. Stay safe.
Dave :)

1109RWHP

I think this might be what you are looking for. Not sure what size you need but NPD has several to choose from.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/wire-loom-black-fabric/204600/203313

Bob Gaines

Quote from: V8Dave on September 07, 2020, 07:37:26 PM
Hello Everyone.
I am looking for a new protetctive sleeve to slide over the nylon plastic mechanical oil tube going to the 67 shelby mechanical oil pressure gauge.(protect it from heat and damage in the engine bay)
I have tried searching the web for what im looking for however i can not seem to find it listed anywhere.I have tried searching for oil sleeve/oil protective sheath/ high temprature oil sleeve? no luck.
The only place i have seen something very similar to what i am looking for(whats on it now that im trying to replace with new) is what is used on the new alloy metal resistance wire that you can buy to replace your old wire in your harness.That has the same protective black sleeve on that im currently looking for.
Im sure you can buy it in a roll to the length you require however not knowing exactly what its called im struggling to find it listed online.
Does anyone know exactly what its called or where to find any or purchase any from? I believe its kinda similar to what was used on the heat choke pipes on mustangs to protect the pipe, also maybe used on the door latch rods inside the door to stop them from vibrating maybe just a different colour? I could be wrong.
Also another quick question did the 67 gauge cluster harnesses all have fomoco sticky ID tags on the backs of the harnesses to id them as tach/non tach harnesses?
Thank you all once again for any help you can provide me.
Sorry for awkward questions.
Many thanks everyone. Stay safe.
Dave :)
Dave,I am wondering why you feel you need this extra protection? Is it because you think that the cars came with extra protection when new or is it you want something to make you feel more secure about the possibility of a problem? 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

I don't know if it has a trade name, by when I worked building the Amtak Superliners we (at the plant) called it "loom guard".  You might be able to find it in a McMaster-Carr catalog.

98SVT - was 06GT

Earl's flame guard - https://www.holley.com/products/plumbing_an_fittings_and_hose/hose/flame_guard/parts/571014ERL I use it on the race car where the plug wires run by the headers.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

V8Dave

Hello everyone.
Firstly 1190rwhp, mr Gaines, roddster and 98svt thank you for your help.
It's amazing how many times you can rephrase something your looking for online and not find it and then be able to find it so easy when you just know the correct name for the product so thank you for your guidance and advice.
Mr Gaines thank you for the reply. If I am correct I think from the factory they had no protective sleeve over the nylon tubing neither inside the car( under the dash ) or in the engine bay if I'm right?
On the car at the moment it just has a protective sleeve from the tubing coming out the back of the gauge till just past where it passes the firewall. Then the bare nylon tube is routed with the wiring harness and washer bottle hoses in the plastic ford clips around the drivers side engine bay then goes to the oil port on the oil filter adapter(gt500 / fe). Is this routed correctly or should it be over the drivers side rocker cover like the engine gauge harness.
I was just personally thinking with how hot it gets in the engine bay, what little space there is also with a big block and also working on it with regular maintenance that maybe it would be best to protect the nylon tube in a sleeve from start to finish for extra safety or would guys recommend not taking that route so you can see if the nylon tube gets brittle with age,accidentally pinched or springs a leak?
Thank you all once again for your help it's much appreciated.
Stay safe and have a good day.
Dave
Thank

Bob Gaines

Quote from: V8Dave on September 08, 2020, 05:49:33 PM
Hello everyone.
Firstly 1190rwhp, mr Gaines, roddster and 98svt thank you for your help.
It's amazing how many times you can rephrase something your looking for online and not find it and then be able to find it so easy when you just know the correct name for the product so thank you for your guidance and advice.
Mr Gaines thank you for the reply. If I am correct I think from the factory they had no protective sleeve over the nylon tubing neither inside the car( under the dash ) or in the engine bay if I'm right?
On the car at the moment it just has a protective sleeve from the tubing coming out the back of the gauge till just past where it passes the firewall. Then the bare nylon tube is routed with the wiring harness and washer bottle hoses in the plastic ford clips around the drivers side engine bay then goes to the oil port on the oil filter adapter(gt500 / fe). Is this routed correctly or should it be over the drivers side rocker cover like the engine gauge harness.
I was just personally thinking with how hot it gets in the engine bay, what little space there is also with a big block and also working on it with regular maintenance that maybe it would be best to protect the nylon tube in a sleeve from start to finish for extra safety or would guys recommend not taking that route so you can see if the nylon tube gets brittle with age,accidentally pinched or springs a leak?
Thank you all once again for your help it's much appreciated.
Stay safe and have a good day.
Dave
Thank
Dave, the line does not get any additional protecting covering from the back of the gauge to the engine from the factory. Typically it is not a problem for the tube to get damaged when routed the factory way. There are no technical service bulletins or anecdotal customer complaints for the issue . I personally would stay with just the plastic line.  If that information doesn't eliminate your stress then I would suggest to run a copper tube alternative of the same size as the plastic instead of a protecting sleeve. I don't think a sleeve will protect any better but I do think it will look bad . After the line leaves the back of the gauge It goes out the firewall with a zip tie as it passes the engine gauge feed harness on its way toward the driver side apron.It goes under the power booster and master cylinder to the main headlight harness on the apron with a zip tie. It follows the harness through the black plastic harness straps to the point near the washer bag/bottle where it is parallel with the oil pressure adapter fitting on the oil filter adapter . It gets a zip tie at that point and crosses over to the oil pressure line fitting.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Ah, that would be a "Panduit" zip tie.

V8Dave

Hello Everyone.
Thanks bob for the information and advice. Much appreciated as always. I have taken your advice and have decided to leave it just bare plastic, if there wasnt any issues from the factory like mentioned i guess i was being over protective.
Thank you to all that have help me.
Stay safe.
Dave