Author Topic: GT500KR. Sheet metal research prior to discussion with body technicians..  (Read 1186 times)

Craner

• View Profile
Trying to determine the originality of the fenders on my car.  The car was involved in an accident early in its life.. mostly in the  lower front section of car, but did damage the hood and that appears to have been replaced correctly.

The fender date codes are March, but the car is a September car (4428) Looking at the build sheet, it isn’t obvious what the exact date is on that... text is offset from actual column. (See attached)
I think possibly the fenders were replaced. These fenders can be repaired correctly, but if they aren’t original to the car, then I think I will chase down early NOS fenders and reduce the complexity of the metal work.
Comments greatly appreciated. 

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: GT500KR. Sheet metal research prior to discussion with body technicians..
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 09:01:07 PM »
Your car is not a September car.

“29U” translates to July 29, 1968

March fenders are fine, early NOS fenders are not likely to be dated any better, most NOS fenders are dated post production
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:03:08 PM by Coralsnake »

Craner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 09:41:02 PM »
Thank you Pete
That’s what I thought,
The paperwork that confused me or didn’t make sense are the documents  I got from Lois Eminger many years ago..
The Shelby Automotive inc order sheet had a September 10th date..Bill Kolb.. then an invoice dated September 16th.
So these cars delayed a few months from NJ build date to Shelby Automotive (AO Smith final assembly) completion.
How do I decode “D600F20A”
(See attached)
Thank you so much.
Fran

Craner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 10:06:30 PM »
After a closer look.  I understand the decode of the car build order from Gotham.
The transmission was undefined per the order decode.
I’m guessing that was left up to what car was available. 

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 09:04:47 AM »
So your car was scheduled to be built in  July 1968, then sent to Smith for conversion. Very likely completed shortly thereafter.

The September order date is when Gotham requested the car be sent to them.

Cars were built and then sold. They were generally NOT built to dealer orders. This is a common misconception.

All very late dates.

The internal codes on the order sheet are defined on the sheet.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:03:58 PM by Coralsnake »