Author Topic: Carpet trimming question  (Read 2625 times)

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
Carpet trimming question
« on: September 14, 2020, 06:23:46 PM »
I’m installing the carpet, should I let the carpet lap over where the sill plate goes on or trim right at the top of sill?  I’m thinking if over the sill the plate will be too high and hit the door maybe?

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Carpet trimming question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:48:49 PM »
I think some over-lap, the sill plate holds the edge of the carpet down and in-place.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 04:53:57 PM »
Great thanks.

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:42:18 PM »
From Ford assembly the edges were secured with black,”gaffers tape” to a point where the sill plate attaching screws would penetrate. Not sure where,along assembly the tape was applied but I believe it was there to keep workers from tripping over the edge while accessing interior during final stages of assembly. Every Ford product had this feature,whether Mustang,Galaxie,Torino,etc . Covers/protects wiring looms and is worth duplicating.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:59:05 PM »
From Ford assembly the edges were secured with black,”gaffers tape” to a point where the sill plate attaching screws would penetrate. Not sure where,along assembly the tape was applied but I believe it was there to keep workers from tripping over the edge while accessing interior during final stages of assembly. Every Ford product had this feature,whether Mustang,Galaxie,Torino,etc . Covers/protects wiring looms and is worth duplicating.

Guess your referring to the Ford assembly manuals. Those don't always reflect what workers or different plants did through part or the whole year but what Ford wanted when the page was published. Lots of revisions though each year.

On a 67 the half screws go through below the edge of the sill and I've not found any tape that went over the edge of the carpet onto the sill. Do recall the tape over the wire loom area on some years but in those cases it was under the carpet on the inner edge

Here are a couple of examples showing what I've typically found when there was tape present

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:25:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:38:39 PM »

Guess your referring to the Ford assembly manuals. Those don't always reflect what workers or different plants did through part or the whole year but what Ford wanted when the page was published. Lots of revisions though each year.

On a 67 the half screws go through below the edge of the sill and I've not found any tape that went over the edge of the carpet onto the sill. Do recall the tape over the wire loom area on some years but in those cases it was under the carpet on the inner edge

Here are a couple of examples showing what I've typically found when there was tape present

+1 .For 67 I have found tape over the wiring harness under the sill plates but not holding the carpet.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 08:24:17 PM »
I am only sharing what I saw in the shop. I worked ‘66-‘80 in Ford dealer as tech and began in ‘66 as accessory installer and pre-delivery,etc. It was common to remove sill trim to access or add wiring through the area in rocker for many reasons. That gaffers tape was very common to hold wiring down into the recessed area and at edge of carpet. Not done very neatly most times as it was only there to hold in proper location/out of assembly line workers. Once the wiring was in proper location it was much safer for workers to install sill trim. As a youngster back then I was quickly educated by older,more experienced techs that wiring,either factory or added must be protected. Any incorrectly installed screw can,and did,wreak havoc down the road. That same tape was applied over many exposed sharp edges that wire looms were routed through. When in doubt,apply enough tape to secure wiring safely during assembly. Judges don’t see it,and was never meant to be seen. The assembly line was a messy affair at times with excess glue,caulking,extra parts,leaks,etc. The pictures that Ford released of milestone cars on the line were not even close to average conditions. Blood,sweat,tears........

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
I am only sharing what I saw in the shop. I worked ‘66-‘80 in Ford dealer as tech and began in ‘66 as accessory installer and pre-delivery,etc. .................

What part of the country was it? Might explain the differences like many other production related details plus you were doing different models and in turn a multiple of car assembly plants.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:05:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 05:03:40 AM »
I spent 43 years in Chicago area. Only 20 minutes from Chicago assembly plant,and 30 minutes from Chicago stamping. I agree that each plant/each model had it’s own “personality” and ideas. Just offering a little insight from the ‘60’s -‘70’s and what the service dept saw on vehicles that came from around the country,but most were Chitown.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
Just offering a possibility for the difference. Given your location you likely saw Mustangs that were built at Dearborn and maybe NJ rather than San Jose. Pretty sure you were not checking to see on each car you worked on but maybe that is why the difference.

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 08:11:50 PM »
I agree 100%. It was and still is a very big country with many people doing same job differently. As far as me being interested in where /how that tape was applied to the cars I serviced.......just drilled in after a while. Try to remember that I was 20-21 years old back then and had many,many things on my mind...military draft....Viet Nam,girls,race cars,girls, etc. Some things just are etched in my mind.........girls are way ahead of sticky tape memories  :P

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 10:48:41 PM »
I agree 100%. It was and still is a very big country with many people doing same job differently. As far as me being interested in where /how that tape was applied to the cars I serviced.......just drilled in after a while. Try to remember that I was 20-21 years old back then and had many,many things on my mind...military draft....Viet Nam,girls,race cars,girls, etc. Some things just are etched in my mind.........girls are way ahead of sticky tape memories  :P

Cool Galaxie XL.  429?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 07:09:44 AM »
Yes,429 4 V and was a great tow vehicle. Certain days US 30 would have a bracket race for tow vehicles for extra $2.00 and that XL,on street tires,trunk full of tools ,would run 14.90 @ 95 MPH !   Around town I would smoke most GTO and Roadrunners,but no match for 396 Chevelles,etc.