Author Topic: Original floor mats / 66 mustang? or somthing else?  (Read 5162 times)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
Original floor mats / 66 mustang? or somthing else?
« on: September 15, 2020, 12:21:28 AM »
Anyone have a car with original floor mats ? I would like to find out what was used.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Original floor mats / 66 mustang? or somthing else?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 12:55:33 AM »
Anyone have a car with original floor mats ? I would like to find out what was used.
66 Mustangs and or GT350 did not come with floor mats from the MFG. They typically were delivered to the first customer with Ford dealer personalized or generic Ford paper mat . If the dealer or customer wanted something more durable the over the counter Mustang motif rubber floor mats are the most common ones used.  They were readily available at the Ford dealer and made for Mustangs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 01:01:09 AM »
Thanks!

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 03:30:05 PM »
These mats have been reproduced.  Virginia Classic Mustang has them.  I have an original pair with no identification who made them.  For sometime I was told they were made by or for J.C Whitney, but I am not so sure.  There are no Ford or FoMoCo markings.  These for sale are licenses by Ford, but that confuses me as well if Ford did not make them.  These are a little different than the OTC Mustang floor mats Bob mentions.

The driver side is designed for use with the convertible by cutting off the outside tab to narrow the mat.  The passengers side is already narrow enough for the convertible.

Maybe Brant can tell us more on who originally made them and sold them.  I believe they are strictly period aftermarket, but I like them.

Best of luck

Cory

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:38:00 PM by 6s1640 »

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
66 Mustangs and or GT350 did not come with floor mats from the MFG. They typically were delivered to the first customer with Ford dealer personalized or generic Ford paper mat . If the dealer or customer wanted something more durable the over the counter Mustang motif rubber floor mats are the most common ones used.  They were readily available at the Ford dealer and made for Mustangs.

That is good to know and learning something new.  The mats in my 65 have the FoMoCo logo on them, so I guess you bought the car and the mats were negotiated after  :) 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:28:16 PM »
Floor mats were always an option from the dealer....whether through Ford,or local Blue Star,etc. and put in place by salesman,or endless possibilities. Some dealers had their own “service” mats made to put in place to pacify customers concerned about foot dirt/tracking and also get a little advertising At same time. Common to be made from low-cost,white paper with dealer logo/name. Dealers could order service mats from Ford to meet specs @discount.
 The ONLY mats that came directly from Ford assembly,pre-dealer,were those brown,”waffle” textured paper ones that were there to protect during transport. One wet/snow exposure usually reduced them to mush.
So,which floor mats fit your needs/wants? I saved these original Ford paper mats for my car for use at shows. The most durable ones are from Mustang parts stores,but not meant to score points.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 02:06:04 AM »

Just saw these, they look pretty good, anyone use them and care to comment on them?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/lloyd-mats-plush-floor-mats-with-shelby-american-gt350-logo-set-convertible-1965-1973/p/FM155/?year=1965&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI47fs2_zr6wIVdh-tBh2_2ABjEAQYBSABEgL3xvD_BwE

I bought a set of the Lloyd mats and returned them, the drivers mat is too thin and the holes look stupid. I went with the Scott Drake black rubber 66 mustang mats, they look great. 

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 07:26:17 AM »
Floor mats were always an option from the dealer....whether through Ford,or local Blue Star,etc. and put in place by salesman,or endless possibilities. Some dealers had their own “service” mats made to put in place to pacify customers concerned about foot dirt/tracking and also get a little advertising At same time. Common to be made from low-cost,white paper with dealer logo/name. Dealers could order service mats from Ford to meet specs @discount.
 The ONLY mats that came directly from Ford assembly,pre-dealer,were those brown,”waffle” textured paper ones that were there to protect during transport. One wet/snow exposure usually reduced them to mush.
So,which floor mats fit your needs/wants? I saved these original Ford paper mats for my car for use at shows. The most durable ones are from Mustang parts stores,but not meant to score points.
On the cardboard mat, is that a seat belt snapping in between the "F" and "R" on the light bulb for the "O"?  I can't see it too well.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 01:53:31 PM »
On the cardboard mat, is that a seat belt snapping in between the "F" and "R" on the light bulb for the "O"?  I can't see it too well.

Seatbelt and lightbulb "Ford has a better idea" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5NcVB9udRA  .

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »
Not confronting, just asking:

Wouldn't the "three-point seatbelt" drawing on the Ford lightbulb logo make the timeframe of that particular paper floormat be much later than '66?  More like mid-70s or later?

Rukiddin: What year is your car?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:15:13 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »
427hunter, I remember the light bulb for the "O",  was just curious about the seat belt. Couldn't hardly see it.

Side-Oilers, we do know that shoulder belts were available in'69, so I'd say late '68/early '69?

And if my memory serves me correct, I think shoulder seat belts were offered as an option in '68?  maybe someone will chime in.

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
Yes,there were changes over the years from plain,un-printed,to “Better Idea” (light bulb),to the seat belt version. Probably a few more depending on assembly plant. Not sure if the paper ones are still used. I retired from Ford dealer 10 years ago and the new vehicles had plastic on the seats and sticky,non-slip ,plastic to protect the carpet. Next time you go to local Ford dealer find the new car dept and look around. I used to get pretty sturdy seat covers and steering wheel covers to use in my cars during storage. Slip the kid in cleanup $5.00 and drive away with a dumpster full. :D   
Don’t wait until they are in the dumpster under the trash

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »
If you look at the style of buckle/clasp in the illustration on the mat it looks like the later 70's up variety and not the one used in the 60's .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
If you look at the style of buckle/clasp in the illustration on the mat it looks like the later 70's up variety and not the one used in the 60's .

That's what I thought, Bob.   A three-point belt with one buckle, not the separate lap and shoulder belts from earlier.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick