News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 68 Le Mans Stripes

Started by Bob Gaines, September 20, 2020, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imho 67s look dope with stripes...68s not so much.After having it for 38 years with stripes my car would look naked to my eye without them.For sure it isn't factory and does devalue the car somewhat,but as it is a driver and won't be concoursed or sold on my watch I will never go back to "bare".Plus it draws cops like honey to a bear,so there's that :o......

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427hunter on October 07, 2020, 11:27:55 AM
Quote from: roddster on October 07, 2020, 09:33:38 AM
   Umm, the topic is 67/68 cars, eh.

No regular production 67/68's got stripes from SA - so the topic moved to how not even a majority of 66's got stripes and how even the ones that did like hertz cars, they didn't apply them to the roof. Just good information to know about Shelby's.
A slight clarification to avoid confusion in that for 66 Hertz production the red and green cars did not get LeMans stripes but the black,white and blue did.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 07, 2020, 11:59:29 AM

No regular production 67/68's got stripes from SA - so the topic moved to how not even a majority of 66's got stripes and how even the ones that did like hertz cars, they didn't apply them to the roof. Just good information to know about Shelby's.
A slight clarification to avoid confusion in that for 66 Hertz production the red and green cars did not get LeMans stripes but the black,white and blue did.

Just so I'm clear all black, white, and blue hertz cars did get roof stripes? 
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427hunter on October 07, 2020, 12:02:35 PM

Yes.The roof stripes are referred to as Le Mans stripes. The side stripes are refereed to as rally stripes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Aw, too bad. Gold stripes look incredible on Red and Green cars.

427hunter

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 07, 2020, 01:22:59 PM

Yes.The roof stripes are referred to as Le Mans stripes. The side stripes are refereed to as rally stripes.

I know they are called Le Mans stripes (duh) ::)

Randy pointed out that:

" Don't forget that many Hertz cars didn't get roof stripes. The 18 white/blue and several red ones in the northeast. Black certainly got them . I don't know about blue and green cars without them. Mine did not have them and doesn't now.
   Randy"

So I misunderstood Randy, he was referring to these hertz cars not having Le Mans stripes at all.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427hunter on October 07, 2020, 09:06:48 PM

Randy pointed out that:

" Don't forget that many Hertz cars didn't get roof stripes. The 18 white/blue and several red ones in the northeast. Black certainly got them . I don't know about blue and green cars without them. Mine did not have them and doesn't now.
   Randy"

So I misunderstood Randy, he was referring to these hertz cars not having Le Mans stripes at all.
You quoted me when asking about the colors that got stripes even after I stated as much which was a little strange  but I still answered. You referred to them as "roof stripes"  which after asking the redundant which colors got "roof stripe " question made me think you were confused on terminology too. As far as the " Duh" comment ,I was not trying to make you look uninformed on purpose.

427hunter

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 07, 2020, 09:41:08 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on October 07, 2020, 09:06:48 PM

Randy pointed out that:

Randy"

You quoted me when asking about the colors that got stripes even after I stated as much which was a little strange  but I still answered. You referred to them as "roof stripes"  which after asking the redundant which colors got "roof stripe " question made me think you were confused on terminology too. As far as the " Duh" comment ,I was not trying to make you look uninformed on purpose.

I misunderstood Randy is all, I thought he was saying some hertz cars got hood and trunk but not roof stripes - no worries.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

gt350hr

Sorry for the confusion. The 18 white with blue stripe cars did not have LeMans stripes. There weren't any "partial" ( hood and trunk only) striped cars. I have called them roof stripes since they came out. Even SAI's painter Dennis Ercek (sp) rip called them that. LeMans is the proper term for them.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Richstang

It is easy to see where all the confusion on the naming of the stripes over the top of the '67 Shelby's comes from. In late 1966, Shelby American documents used different names on each of the printed marketing materials. Based on that, you could say they are all technically correct.

Those names include, 'Rally stripe', 'Rallye stripe', 'Full Stripe', 'LeMans body stripes', and 'Optional Stripe'.
The side stripes are simply noted as 'Side Striping' in several SAI marketed documents, as they were a standard feature.

Call them what you will, but these LeMans Stripes were never implemented in actual production from the LAX Shelby American factory.

This topic is covered in detail on the SRG post named Full Stripes
https://groups.google.com/forum/?oldui=1&pli=1#!topic/shelbyresearch/mxaLAl-p1kU
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar