News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Lower Strut Rod bushings Replacement

Started by shelby001, September 21, 2020, 03:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby001

I have a clunging noise in the left side  & believe it is the lower strut rod. I can move both strut rods up and down but the left is easier . Anyone replace these & the  kit I have has two bushings & and washers with a sleeve . Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby001 on September 21, 2020, 03:18:44 PM

I have a clunging noise in the left side  & believe it is the lower strut rod. I can move both strut rods up and down but the left is easier . Anyone replace these & the  kit I have has two bushings & and washers with a sleeve . Any help would be appreciated.

Get a shop manual if you don't already have one and go to the suspension section discussing the strut rod. If you want original style bushings with correct markings try  www.brownsautobodyservices.com . Any of the larger Mustang parts vendors carry replacements if your more concerned about function instead of function and historic look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelby001

Bob
I have a 68 shop manual that shows an inner & outer sleeve. the kit I have has one 2 1/2 " sleeve . My question are these strut rods loose as I said on my first post, I would think you shouldn`t be able to move them up & down by hand. Every time I hit a bump I hear a clunk on the left side & this start after installing new bushings on the stabilizer bar , which I thought clunk might becoming
from  that but a don`t think so every thing looks fine.

Coralsnake

shelby001

Thanks thats what I thought , they look like they have never been changed.  Just would like the right parts to put back on it .

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby001 on September 21, 2020, 03:41:44 PM

Bob
I have a 68 shop manual that shows an inner & outer sleeve. the kit I have has one 2 1/2 " sleeve . My question are these strut rods loose as I said on my first post, I would think you shouldn`t be able to move them up & down by hand. Every time I hit a bump I hear a clunk on the left side & this start after installing new bushings on the stabilizer bar , which I thought clunk might becoming
from  that but a don`t think so every thing looks fine.
I don't mean to contradict but you did not say in your first post My question are these strut rods loose as I said on my first post, I would think you shouldn`t be able to move them up & down by hand. The question if they are supposed to be loose was never posed. I am sorry I misunderstood your post because you offered only your observation of them being able to be moved. I see that your question has already been answered . It read to me that you were confirming that the bushings had worn out because of the movement. My hope is that the rest of my post got you needed info. Best of luck with the fix.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelby001

Bob
  Yes sorry about the first post They can be moved up & down so its time to replace them. Thanks for the info to obtain the proper parts. 

shelby001

Okay finally got the nuts loose after soaking & heat. For anyone replacing these the originals have two sleeves that are rolled at each end & in order to get them off you need carefully grind the lip off .