Author Topic: 1965 GT 350 for sale  (Read 4944 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1965 GT 350 for sale
« on: September 21, 2020, 07:45:42 PM »
I don't know the number... maybe someone does and will share

https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/1965-shelby-gt350-2190.aspx?LMC_eMailer=1

1965 Shelby GT350
 Wimbledon White With Factory Lemans Blue Stripes
 Optional Cragar Wheels With Correct Blue Dot Tires
 Factory Demonstrator When New
 Rare Trunk-Mounted Battery Complete With “Cobra” Vented Battery Caps
 Fully Documented Shelby; Nut And Bolt Rotisserie Restored
 SAAC-42 Gold Award Winner And MCA Concours Gold
 2019 Amelia Island Concours Class Winner
 Greenbrier Concours D'Elegance Award

According to the Shelby American factory records, this chassis was received at the Shelby American Los Angeles CA. facility on May 12th, 1965. Work started on the same day and it was finished on May 20th, 1965. It was then shipped to Gene Hamon Ford in Texas City, TX and they were invoiced $3,944.25. It was then used by the dealership as a factory demonstrator. Being one of only 562 Shelby GT350’s built in 1965, this special Shelby was delivered new with the early fiberglass porthole hood, COBRA vented battery caps, rare trunk mounted battery, Cragar Shelby wheels, and Le Mans stripes. It is powered by the prerequisite Hi-Po 289/306hp engine backed by the aluminum case T-10 4-speed transmission.

Countless hours were spent to complete the total cost is no object concourse rotisserie restoration to SAAC/ MCA concourse specifications. The result is an award-winning restoration with achievements and accolades that very few other cars have ever attained. The paint has been polished and is show quality; great lengths went into the paint work to replicate a job just as the factory would have.  The interior is complete with correct dash mounted pod containing the  8,000 rpm tach and oil pressure gauges, factory racing lap belts, 15" wood rimmed steering wheel and factory radio delete plate. On a hoist and you will discover the undercarriage that has been finished to an absolutely outstanding quality, with floors finished in the correct factory style red oxide primer with body color overspray and blacked out pinch welds. As well the front and rear suspension has been painstakingly refinished just as it would have left the factory with correct finishes; including the paint dabs and chalk markings.  The overall look and unmistakable sound of the car comes from the factory side exiting exhaust just in front of the correct Blue Dot tires mounted on the optional Cragar wheels.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 GT 350 for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 08:57:42 PM »
Pretty.  :)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 09:01:38 PM »
SFM5S262
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:32:15 PM »
Charles did a wonderful job restoring it  8)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
I don't know the number... maybe someone does and will share

https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/1965-shelby-gt350-2190.aspx?LMC_eMailer=1

1965 Shelby GT350
 Wimbledon White With Factory Lemans Blue Stripes
 Optional Cragar Wheels With Correct Blue Dot Tires
 Factory Demonstrator When New
 Rare Trunk-Mounted Battery Complete With “Cobra” Vented Battery Caps
 Fully Documented Shelby; Nut And Bolt Rotisserie Restored
 SAAC-42 Gold Award Winner And MCA Concours Gold
 2019 Amelia Island Concours Class Winner
 Greenbrier Concours D'Elegance Award

According to the Shelby American factory records, this chassis was received at the Shelby American Los Angeles CA. facility on May 12th, 1965. Work started on the same day and it was finished on May 20th, 1965. It was then shipped to Gene Hamon Ford in Texas City, TX and they were invoiced $3,944.25. It was then used by the dealership as a factory demonstrator. Being one of only 562 Shelby GT350’s built in 1965, this special Shelby was delivered new with the early fiberglass porthole hood, COBRA vented battery caps, rare trunk mounted battery, Cragar Shelby wheels, and Le Mans stripes. It is powered by the prerequisite Hi-Po 289/306hp engine backed by the aluminum case T-10 4-speed transmission.

Countless hours were spent to complete the total cost is no object concourse rotisserie restoration to SAAC/ MCA concourse specifications. The result is an award-winning restoration with achievements and accolades that very few other cars have ever attained. The paint has been polished and is show quality; great lengths went into the paint work to replicate a job just as the factory would have. The interior is complete with correct dash mounted pod containing the  8,000 rpm tach and oil pressure gauges, factory racing lap belts, 15" wood rimmed steering wheel and factory radio delete plate. On a hoist and you will discover the undercarriage that has been finished to an absolutely outstanding quality, with floors finished in the correct factory style red oxide primer with body color overspray and blacked out pinch welds. As well the front and rear suspension has been painstakingly refinished just as it would have left the factory with correct finishes; including the paint dabs and chalk markings.  The overall look and unmistakable sound of the car comes from the factory side exiting exhaust just in front of the correct Blue Dot tires mounted on the optional Cragar wheels.
Given the factory paint was single stage enamel cured by baking and not polished the statements " The paint has been polished and is show quality; great lengths went into the paint work to replicate a job just as the factory would have. " appear to be in conflict with each other . Which is it? Polished or paint work to replicate a job just as the factory would have?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 10:31:59 PM »
Given the factory paint was single stage enamel cured by baking and not polished the statements " The paint has been polished and is show quality; great lengths went into the paint work to replicate a job just as the factory would have. " appear to be in conflict with each other . Which is it? Polished or paint work to replicate a job just as the factory would have?

When I got the car to finish, it had already been painted and remember the paint had been sanded/buffed some, but not to the extreme we see some cars done.

This was the one you and Jeff judged in Myrtle Beach at the MCA show...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 10:47:43 PM »

When I got the car to finish, it had already been painted and remember the paint had been sanded/buffed some, but not to the extreme we see some cars done.

This was the one you and Jeff judged in Myrtle Beach at the MCA show...
Yes, I remember now. A very nice car indeed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 11:29:33 PM »
 Those original smaller diameter air filters must be getting almost impossible to find. I can remember Craig Jackson saying he paid some serious money for a original element. Just nit picking maybe, car is excellent regardless.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 11:48:21 PM »
Those original smaller diameter air filters must be getting almost impossible to find. I can remember Craig Jackson saying he paid some serious money for a original element. Just nit picking maybe, car is excellent regardless.
The maroon ones used on 65/66 you mean not the orange ones. I have trying to push Chris Brown into making the early maroon ones. 

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 07:38:14 AM »
What are the maroon filter worth? I think I may have a new one in storage?

Don
gt350bp

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 08:36:52 AM »
Great question. According to C Jackson on coffee walk EP 38 he paid  $1000.00 for a assembly line nos element. That was march 2019.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 09:44:08 AM »
Awesome looking car!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »
Great question. According to C Jackson on coffee walk EP 38 he paid  $1000.00 for a assembly line nos element. That was march 2019.
Keep in mind that there are more then one variety too.  ;)  Consequently the price varies depending on which hipo maroon filter you are considering.700.00 to 1900.00 depending on which one is typical.

wcampbell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »
Guys...this is my old ride - 5S262. The excellent restoration finishing work is courtesy of Charles! The detail on the undercarriage overspray/coloring courtesy of Jeff and the sourcing of parts courtesy of Craig Conley, Ed Meyer and Jim Cowles! I traded both 5S541 and 5S262 for CSX2177 last year. It's was a tough morning putting two nice GT350s on a trailer, but I always wanted a 289 Competition COBRA so I had to give it a go...hard to believe how far 262 had come and yes - the Amelia Concours brought lots of people to the car saying it was the nicest restored GT350 they'd ever seen. Rearview mirror now - it'll be interesting to see where it goes. I just heard for the first time yesterday from a "friend of a friend" that 5S541 is now apart. Incredibly original car that was - I was intending to leave it unrestored, but it's another's perogative now...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:05:47 PM by wcampbell »

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »
would be nice to see the scoring sheet.
is the rear sitting high?
should the valve cover gaskets have a black top coat?
1966 GT350 6s1761