Author Topic: question for the experts  (Read 2187 times)

Bossssssss

• View Profile
question for the experts
« on: September 22, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
Hi Gents,
I am installing an original '69 (fastback) Shelby roll bar in my '70 Boss 302.

What fasteners are used to attach the fiberglass covers to the rear fiberglass interior panels?  Do they sell whatever is used  - need to get this project buttoned up.

TIA

Bossssssss

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: question for the experts
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:02:42 PM »
If i recall correct four tinnerman clups and screws per side. AMK is always a good place to start.

Bossssssss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »
Thank you Peter. I also looked at Marcus Anghel's interior panel ID document and in it he shows a picture in the lower right of a 69 interior panel with the cover attached:

http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/quarter_trim_panels_v1.1.pdf

It appears the the one screw/screw hole (on the right/forward of cover and top, ie top right in picture) that is normally used for attaching the panel on non-Shelby's is also used to secure the cover to the panel and the panel to the car. The other fasterners appear to be screws but those would not have holes drilled into the car (so yes I assume some sort of clip on the back side to hold the screw in while securing the cover to the panel). I will check around on AMK's site.

Thank you again for your help!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
That should be a u shaped clip. If I see a part number I will post it

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
Thank you Peter. I also looked at Marcus Anghel's interior panel ID document and in it he shows a picture in the lower right of a 69 interior panel with the cover attached:

http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/quarter_trim_panels_v1.1.pdf

It appears the the one screw/screw hole (on the right/forward of cover and top, ie top right in picture) that is normally used for attaching the panel on non-Shelby's is also used to secure the cover to the panel and the panel to the car. The other fasterners appear to be screws but those would not have holes drilled into the car (so yes I assume some sort of clip on the back side to hold the screw in while securing the cover to the panel). I will check around on AMK's site.

Thank you again for your help!
I have restored a "virgin" GT500 FB back in 1990. U-clips like Pete said. I also had a NOS rollbar I was going to install in a 69 R-code Mach1 but went concours on the mach but had already cut the side panels and bought Branda side covers. Did the same as in cut out the area for the bar and installed the clips to hold the covers on. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bossssssss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 04:43:17 PM »
Thanks Peter and Gary. So if I read you correctly, I would need to install the U-shaped clip around the cut I just made such that aligns with each of the 4 (four) side holes I drilled into the side panels for mounting the cover.  Is this correct?

Also, what about the one hole on the bottom/base of the side cover that goes horizontally (down)? I assume the same thing?  When I cut my panels I took off minimal material and kept fitting them as I went. I did not/don't have a template so I am not sure how close I am to the original cuts that the factory did. What I do know is I probably have more material than they did as mine are a very tight fit right now and require a bit of finagling to get them installed and or removed. I think the bottom hole would require me to remove more material toward the inside of the car (in order to get a u-shaped clip installed).

thanks again for any insight.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 07:24:58 AM »
I would remove as much material as needed to mount the clips. IIRC I drilled my holes through the screw holes on the cover and then ground away the 'glass panel as needed so the clips when installed were aligned with the holes. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bossssssss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »
I would remove as much material as needed to mount the clips. IIRC I drilled my holes through the screw holes on the cover and then ground away the 'glass panel as needed so the clips when installed were aligned with the holes. Gary

Thank you Gary. That sounds like a great approach. I am going to implement the same procedure.

thanks again,
Mark

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 04:39:34 AM »

Thank you Gary. That sounds like a great approach. I am going to implement the same procedure.

thanks again,
Mark
I did all of that-modifying a pair of nice original panels that I fitted in a 69 Mach1(pictured below)- but after painting and realizing how nice and correct the engine bay and overall came out(1992-3 period) that I decided to go the concours route and eventually sold the rollbar and side panels years later. Gary
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:42:58 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shlb69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 09:25:42 PM »
I have some of the covers