News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 shelby turn signal and emergency flasher units

Started by V8Dave, October 02, 2020, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8Dave

Hello Everyone
While i have my gaue cluster out on my 67 gt500 i figured i would replace my emergency and turn signal flasher units as they are now easy to access with the gauges currently out.
My question is with the added rear tail lights on the 67 shelby did they use the same flasher units for the turn signals/emergency signals on the shelby as was fitted to the mustangs or was there a different unit used a more heavy duty unit because of the more lights added?
I know there was problems with the factory headlight switch and some dealers i believe fitted mercury cougar headlight switches to take the load of the 4 headlight system and wasnt sure if something similar may have happened here with the flasher units.
If so can anybody recommend a brand or heavy duty type flasher unit they have found that is good/reliable and has a good shelf life.
Many thanks
Stay safe
Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: V8Dave on October 02, 2020, 07:03:27 PM
Hello Everyone
While i have my gaue cluster out on my 67 gt500 i figured i would replace my emergency and turn signal flasher units as they are now easy to access with the gauges currently out.
My question is with the added rear tail lights on the 67 shelby did they use the same flasher units for the turn signals/emergency signals on the shelby as was fitted to the mustangs or was there a different unit used a more heavy duty unit because of the more lights added?
I know there was problems with the factory headlight switch and some dealers i believe fitted mercury cougar headlight switches to take the load of the 4 headlight system and wasnt sure if something similar may have happened here with the flasher units.
If so can anybody recommend a brand or heavy duty type flasher unit they have found that is good/reliable and has a good shelf life.
Many thanks
Stay safe
Dave
From the factory the stock Mustang flasher and headlight switch was used. I think most problems stem from bad connections and improper grounding. Symptoms are a result of  the problems mentioned and not typically caused by a faulty flasher or headlight switch . Thousands of these cars operated as they were supposed to without modifications . It was typically as the cars got older that the symptoms started to manifest themselves.   With that said it is not uncommon for owners to replace the flashers with heavy duty units. Typically a fix is a combination of things like better grounds and connections besides the heavy duty flasher. You are extremely lucky if the flasher by itself solves the problem . The same goes for headlight switch.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

V8Dave

Hello Mr Gaines.
Thank you for the information as always. I must admit my turn signal/emergency flasher units are both working ok however for all i know they could be the factory originals.
The emergency one is a green ford flasher unit part number d1az i believe and the turn signal flasher unit is a blue tong sol unit. I was just thinking a step ahead and wondered if i should replace them both with heavy duty units and if there was any difference from the factory between shelbys/mustangs.
As i know its easier to get to them both at the moment compared to when the gauge cluster is back in.
Is there any brand/heavy duty unit you would recommend that you have used, even to buy just as spares or just leave alone.
Thank you for time and help.
All the Best
Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: V8Dave on October 03, 2020, 07:34:36 AM
Hello Mr Gaines.
Thank you for the information as always. I must admit my turn signal/emergency flasher units are both working ok however for all i know they could be the factory originals.
The emergency one is a green ford flasher unit part number d1az i believe and the turn signal flasher unit is a blue tong sol unit. I was just thinking a step ahead and wondered if i should replace them both with heavy duty units and if there was any difference from the factory between shelbys/mustangs.
As i know its easier to get to them both at the moment compared to when the gauge cluster is back in.
Is there any brand/heavy duty unit you would recommend that you have used, even to buy just as spares or just leave alone.
Thank you for time and help.
All the Best
Dave
D1AZ indicates a 1971 engineering number .Consequently the flasher was replaced sometime between 1971 and pick your decade 80's 90's etc. Given your statement of working OK ,I would suggest the proverb -if it ain't broke, don't fix it .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JohnHouston

I had a problem with my 68 turn signals flashing ..  . too quickly or too slowly, I can't recall.  After determining voltage was good, I delved deeper.  The flasher was a replacement, so I took it apart and adjusted the points inside.  It was crimped so as not to be "user serviceable," but I did anyway. . .

Replacing it in the car isn't as bad as replacing the #8 spark plug.

John

GT500-0314

Quote from: V8Dave on October 02, 2020, 07:03:27 PM
Hello Everyone
Many thanks
Stay safe
Dave

I replaced my headlight switch with a 67 Cougar headlight switch after driving back from
the SAAC convention in Pocono 1989 when my headlights kept flashing off and on on the BQE
in the middle of the night!!