News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Holley dashpot question

Started by 6T6/7, October 03, 2020, 06:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6T6/7

Are the '66s with automatic trans and Holley 715  supposed to have a dashpot?  I've heard that the '67 automatics that came through with the Holley 715 included a dashpot.  Wondering if similar for the '66s.
Thanks
'66 6S379, '67 GT350 #1661

NC TRACKRAT

To my limited knowledge, all '66 GT350's with the C3 automatic tranny came with AUTOLITE C6ZF-F carburetors which were equipped with dashpots.  Some owners along the way may have elected to swap them out for a Holley.
5S071, 6S1467

427hunter

I thought the Holley to Autolite change over for auto's was some point between 8-900?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

texas swede

In a letter I have from SA all cars from 6S801 with Automatics would have the Autoliye.
Texas Swede

gt350hr

The S2MS 9510 A Holley did not have a dash pot and SAI did not add them. I have an early C4 auto Hertz car that came with the Holley and no dashpot. The Autolite 4100 , C6ZF-C WAS produced with a dashpot  by Ford and the complete carburetor was transferred by SAI during the manifold swap.

PS new ( to me) information and discussion may alter my statement above with respect to '67 usage! AND yes I called out the "C" incorrectly , I should have said F , I apologize for the confusion on my part.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on October 05, 2020, 12:07:37 PM
   The S2MS 9510 A Holley did not have a dash pot and SAI did not add them. I have an early C4 auto Hertz car that came with the Holley and no dashpot. The Autolite 4100 , C6ZF-C WAS produced with a dashpot  by Ford and the complete carburetor was transferred by SAI during the manifold swap.
Randy,the S2MS 9510 A's that were used on some 67 GT350 automatic cars had the dashpot. I have heard some anecdotal stories about some late 66 GT350 automatics using the Holley which I have never been able to substantiate. If that were true (which I have never confirmed)I would not be surprised if they had the dash pot like the ones used on the 67's . Hopefully others may more info.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Bob ,
       It's possible it was a retro fit. if the "spec" was changed to Holley , they would have been on service carbs. In "my years" I have seen one or two 715s with the natural finish , 4100 style dashpot ( the one with the external spring) for sale at local swap meets. I didn't/don't feel they were original . Remember "My" vision is somewhat limited to California stuff. What have you seen? I haven't "seen it all". LOL
   Randy

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on October 05, 2020, 03:20:25 PM
    Bob ,
       It's possible it was a retro fit. if the "spec" was changed to Holley , they would have been on service carbs. In "my years" I have seen one or two 715s with the natural finish , 4100 style dashpot ( the one with the external spring) for sale at local swap meets. I didn't/don't feel they were original . Remember "My" vision is somewhat limited to California stuff. What have you seen? I haven't "seen it all". LOL
   Randy
I assume it was done at the Cleveland engine plant.Yes it was the one with the spring.I have never seen them on later service carbs. The dashpot is the only distinguishing factor to tell if a original Holley on a 67 auto GT350 or a retrofit from what I can tell. FYI not all 67 GT350 autos got the Holley .Most got the Autolite carb.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

We need to look at DSO sheets to see if there is a call out for a different engine build number. The engine plant would certainly have a different "code" for an Autolite equipped complete engine versus one with a Holley same as they did for a thermactor engine versus one without. They were FAR more restricted as to what they assembled. I'm thinking the Holley was an SAI thing and while being swapped the "Autolite dashpot" was transferred at the same time. Autolite parts lacked the dichromate plating Holley parts were known for.
   The late Ray Wolfe had boxes ( at least two hundred lines)  of '67 small block Holley fuel lines after SAI closed down.
    Randy

S7MS427

Quote from: gt350hr on October 05, 2020, 12:07:37 PM
The Autolite 4100 , C6ZF-C WAS produced with a dashpot  by Ford and the complete carburetor was transferred by SAI during the manifold swap.

Randy,

Just to make sure that there is no confusion, the C6ZF-C carburetor did not use a dashpot.  That Hi-Po carb was for manual transmission cars.  What you are thinking of is the C6ZF-F that was installed on automatic transmission Hi-Po cars.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

texas swede

This 3259 carburetor was for sale in Sweden some years ago and was told to have come off a 67 GT350 with an automatic.
Texas Swede

427hunter

At saac 42 I looked at un unrestored non hertz 66 auto car that had a holley, it was in the 900's so who knows exactly when they stopped.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bob Gaines

Quote from: texas swede on October 05, 2020, 09:26:01 PM
This 3259 carburetor was for sale in Sweden some years ago and was told to have come off a 67 GT350 with an automatic.
Texas Swede
When i see them (rarely) that is how the dashpot is attached. attaching hardware is a clue if genuine or contrived. ;)

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 05, 2020, 11:09:36 PM
Quote from: texas swede on October 05, 2020, 09:26:01 PM
Texas Swede
When i see them (rarely) that is how the dashpot is attached. attaching hardware is a clue if genuine or contrived. ;)

Another 67 GT350 auto - SJ build date early Nov., '66, SA completion date early Dec, '66,  Carb date 674 ('66, July, 4th week).
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350hr

I do have one of the "natural finish" dashpots in my bin of "3259" parts. I may have removed it because I thought it wasn't correct from one of the '67 carbs I've owned. I know I have never seen one on a '66.
  I should have been more careful on reply #4 and again apologize.