News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

WTB 1968 Mustang AM Radio 8TPZ

Started by 6s1640, October 10, 2020, 11:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

Does anyone have a really nice 1968 Mustang AM radio they are willing to let go?  It should be part number 8TPZ, nice face and buttons (see image attached) , no cut wires, inspection sticker still attached on top, working great?

I have found some on auction, but they are not as nice as I'd like.  There were some sold radios that were very nice.

Thanks

Cory

JWH

About a year ago, I decided to take my '68 GT350 radio back to the stock AM. I thought this will be a piece of cake, I bet there are 1,000s of these things tucked away in storage. NOT!
      First off, it seems that it was required that if someone removed the original AM radio, they had to clip the wiring, ugh. So many radios have wiring with the leads clipped off.
      Second, many of the radios are missing some or all of the knobs. I saw an ad on ebay just for the knobs asking $50.00.
      Third, many were not in working condition or the seller was not sure if they worked.
      After months of looking, I found one in the condition you are looking for with excellent wiring, all the knobs, it had been completely serviced and works great for $160.00 on ebay.
       Good luck with the search, they are out there but it may require some patience to find a really good one.
Jeff

69mach351w

Would a 69 AM radio from a Mach1 work?

6s1640

Quote from: 69mach351w on October 11, 2020, 03:54:50 PM

Hi 69Mach351w,

Thank you for asking.  I really would like the assembly line part.  So the 8TPZ is the only one that will work.

I will have to be patient like JWH says "They are out there but it may require some patience to find a really good one."  I have a couple of other sources I am checking into.

Thank you

Cory

Coralsnake

Dont worry about wiring, its easy to replace
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

68gtcoupe

I have exactly what you're looking for. The unit is presently installed in my ' 68 GT Mustang coupe. I don't have it "hooked up" because I don't have an antenna installed on my car at the moment.  When I bought this car from my cousin, the radio had been run through the Maryland State Police radio shop and verified as operational.  I would just need another visually nice unit to replace it with. I don't plan on ever making the radio operational in my car. I always drive with the windows down and the exhaust is loud anyway and my GF talks enough that I don't need another distraction. Lol.  The wiring is uncut and I believe I have the knobs somewhere in my stash. 

SHELB66

FYI---the tuning and volume control shafts are a bit longer on the '69 & '70 radios vs the '68 unit.  They will work but the knobs will be out a little farther.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

shelbymann1970

Quote from: SHELB66 on October 11, 2020, 09:50:37 PM

FYI---the tuning and volume control shafts are a bit longer on the '69 & '70 radios vs the '68 unit.  They will work but the knobs will be out a little farther.

Craig R.
You are correct and that is important to know especially for 69 owners and 68 radios. My 69 AM 8 track was purportedly sold new in a 68 KR but no paperwork (car sold new in fall of 68) so when the forum owner restored his 68 KR he sold me the radio for my 69 Mach1. I might have a spare 68 AM radio laying around if the OP still needs one.  PM me if so. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)