Author Topic: Hertz Speedmeter lock  (Read 6181 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Hertz Speedmeter lock
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »
Hi Steve,

Very nice.  I am assuming you are happy with these locks.

My son has been watching a YouTube video on picking locks.  There is some guy he watches that can pick any lock.  I'd like to see him pick the gauge cluster lock while installed in the dash.  The transmission one might be easier to pick.  If I was a crook back in the day, I'd just cut the cable.

When you get you display put together for the car show, you will have to post pictures of that as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Cory
Cory, I don't understand why a Crook would cut the cable. It didn't have anything to do with stealing a car, The purpose of the lock was to keep the speedometer cable from being disconnected to circumvent mileage used to determine a rental car bill .It had to be done without anyone knowing otherwise you would not get away with the scam. Typically not a huge amount of money ether way. The lock didn't have to be super sophisticated because it wasn't that big of deal. Yes they are on the easy side to pick if a key is lost.I have done it with a lock pick a couple of times for friends who found them. There would be no incentive for a crook to cut the cable.  If the crook cut the cable then it would be obvious he was trying to manipulate the mileage and the scam would not be successful.

Hi Bob,

I don't disagree with you. You are right.  Back to my first comments, the locks are mostly to keep honest people honest "...keep the GT350H renter mostly honest."

Take care

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 06:16:41 PM »
Hi Steve,

My son has been watching a YouTube video on picking locks.  There is some guy he watches that can pick any lock.  I'd like to see him pick the gauge cluster lock while installed in the dash.  The transmission one might be easier to pick.  If I was a crook back in the day, I'd just cut the cable.

When you get you display put together for the car show, you will have to post pictures of that as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Cory
Cory, I don't understand why a Crook would cut the cable. It didn't have anything to do with stealing a car, The purpose of the lock was to keep the speedometer cable from being disconnected to circumvent mileage used to determine a rental car bill .It had to be done without anyone knowing otherwise you would not get away with the scam. Typically not a huge amount of money ether way. The lock didn't have to be super sophisticated because it wasn't that big of deal. Yes they are on the easy side to pick if a key is lost.I have done it with a lock pick a couple of times for friends who found them. There would be no incentive for a crook to cut the cable.  If the crook cut the cable then it would be obvious he was trying to manipulate the mileage and the scam would not be successful.

Hi Bob,

I don't disagree with you. You are right.  Back to my first comments, the locks are mostly to keep honest people honest "...keep the GT350H renter mostly honest."

Take care

Cory
For sure. Where there is a will there is a way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 08:15:55 PM »
Hi Steve,

Very happy 😃
Thanks for sharing.

Cory
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 09:58:38 PM »
Cory, I don't understand why a Crook would cut the cable. ........

Think I would just pull the cable and gear out of the trans and zip tie or bailing wire it up out of the way.  Just a thought concerning a practice that I saw once to twice  ::)

Understand that renters are not typically gear heads and didn't want to get their suits dirty
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 11:17:16 PM »

Think I would just pull the cable and gear out of the trans and zip tie or bailing wire it up out of the way.  Just a thought concerning a practice that I saw once to twice  ::)

Understand that renters are not typically gear heads and didn't want to get their suits dirty

Hi Jeff and Bob,

Guess I would not make a good crook.  Thanks for straightening me out.

Take care

Cory

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »
Here's a few pictures of the Speedometer locks install on a display stand

Still have to finish it up and add a information panel
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 09:31:10 AM »
That's a cool display Steve -

Also remember that rental car outfits got in trouble, and people did jail time, for turning back the mileage on their rental cars before selling them off.

The lower the mileage the more they could be sold for.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2021, 10:16:57 AM »
Looks like they repurposed spare tire locks - http://www.garybeaupre.com/Site/Spare_Tire_Locks_Page1.html
The double sided security key seen in Cory's picture is far harder to pick and completely different mechanism then the single sided key used in the GM tire locks seen in your provided link. The bodies do look similar however.
[/quNothig                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Nothing The Lockpicking Lawyer on UTube cant handle! ;D
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »

Remove the gear off of the trans end and put the cable back in for no leaks.
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 04:42:14 PM »
please note that the cars had two different types of locks, the one on the speedometer head ( discontinued because of the labor required to install) look closely at the tail shaft picture and you'll see the 2nd type that prevented pulling the speedometer cable.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 06:43:21 PM »
please note that the cars had two different types of locks, the one on the speedometer head ( discontinued because of the labor required to install) look closely at the tail shaft picture and you'll see the 2nd type that prevented pulling the speedometer cable.

Have you compared where each car was rented out from?  Have found other Hertz details that were site specific not would not be surprised if this was somewhat similar
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 07:00:14 PM »
Also for those reading not all Hertz rentals used the locks on their rental cars . It was just the rental facilities that were having problems. The rental car company was supposed to take all speedo locks off when they turned the cars in to be sold . Obviously that didn't always happen. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »
I can’t find any pattern or reason why they were used in some places and not in others. They were apparently not used widely. I also heard that they were supposed to have all been removed, but apparently some escaped. It took awhile to collect all the parts
I just thought it made a neat display. I plan on having this and other unique Hertz items at MCAN this Nov.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 10:18:42 PM »
It is a one of a kind display and very cool.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2021, 06:12:24 AM »
👍