News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Vent Window Frame Pivot

Started by greekz, September 23, 2020, 11:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greekz

Has anyone had the chrome pivot on the vent window frame rechromed?  Unable to find someone to do it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Coralsnake

You usually have to remove it first

Or NOS frames

greekz

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 23, 2020, 11:46:36 AM
You usually have to remove it first

Or NOS frames

Removing is not difficult, but re-attaching might be given it appears to be peened on.

Coralsnake

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on September 23, 2020, 11:37:45 AM
Has anyone had the chrome pivot on the vent window frame rechromed?  Unable to find someone to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greek
My suggestion is to cut to the chase and buy a NOS vent window frame that come up infrequently on ebay. That short and obvious answer is not made without a lot of background on the subject. That is my evaluation after going through most of the known fixes over the years and discussing the rest with others who had tried them . Finally seeing the results of various fixes on the show field as a judge. This question has been around for several decades at least. The best fix is as I suggested there are other fixes that are stress filled compromises which will look better the a worn or pitted chrome pivot but not show worthy IMO. Unless someone comes up with a independent already chromed pivot part like they were pre assembly that can be riveted like factory. Once a already installed pivot has been taken apart from the frame reattaching it becomes the problem. For lack of a better concept a already installed pivot has been used up once installed and taken off.   The other alternative are the various compromise fixes which typically are labor intensive yet still typically not up to concours expectations . Just my opinion .Others may have a different one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 23, 2020, 12:09:15 PM
Quote from: greekz on September 23, 2020, 11:37:45 AM
Has anyone had the chrome pivot on the vent window frame rechromed?  Unable to find someone to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greek
My suggestion is to cut to the chase and buy a NOS vent window frame that come up infrequently on ebay. That short and obvious answer is not made without a lot of background on the subject. That is my evaluation after going through most of the known fixes over the years and discussing the rest with others who had tried them . Finally seeing the results of various fixes on the show field as a judge. This question has been around for several decades at least. The best fix is as I suggested there are other fixes that are stress filled compromises which will look better the a worn or pitted chrome pivot but not show worthy IMO. Unless someone comes up with a independent already chromed pivot part like they were pre assembly that can be riveted like factory. Once a already installed pivot has been taken apart from the frame reattaching it becomes the problem. For lack of a better concept a already installed pivot has been used up once installed and taken off.   The other alternative are the various compromise fixes which typically are labor intensive yet still typically not up to concours expectations . Just my opinion .Others may have a different one.

I am slowly coming to that conclusion.  Thank you.

CharlesTurner

I've had Qual-Krom in Erie, PA do several sets in the past.  He can re-chrome the pivots without removing them from the stainless frames. 

Bob Orr is the owner and is familiar with the ask.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

greekz

Quote from: CharlesTurner on September 23, 2020, 01:26:56 PM
I've had Qual-Krom in Erie, PA do several sets in the past.  He can re-chrome the pivots without removing them from the stainless frames. 

Bob Orr is the owner and is familiar with the ask.

Thanks, Charles.  I will check with him.

CharlesTurner

My suggestion is to cut to the chase and buy a NOS vent window frame that come up infrequently on ebay.

They're getting harder to find these days.  Just want to add that there are 2-3, or maybe more, variations of the vent glass frames.  The shape of the pivot area is the biggest difference and some have a different cut at the top.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CharlesTurner on September 23, 2020, 03:11:51 PM
My suggestion is to cut to the chase and buy a NOS vent window frame that come up infrequently on ebay.

They're getting harder to find these days.  Just want to add that there are 2-3, or maybe more, variations of the vent glass frames.  The shape of the pivot area is the biggest difference and some have a different cut at the top.
They have always been hard to find. A guy that can chrome the pivot in place without a tape line is worth his weight in gold . Many times when I have seen that done a tape line around the perimeter is evident.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

Received my vent windows frames yesterday from Qual-Krom, and they look like new.  No chrome overlap on the frame.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Greek

CharlesTurner

Quote from: greekz on October 31, 2020, 03:17:43 PM
Received my vent windows frames yesterday from Qual-Krom, and they look like new.  No chrome overlap on the frame.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Greek

Glad it worked out!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge