News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965 Koni Shock Paint

Started by DRGT350, October 29, 2020, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRGT350

Forum members,

Is there a source for the original red-orange koni shock color for a 65 GT 350 ? Or would anyone also have a set  march dated koni shocks for sale?

Please let me know!

Dave

jk66gt350

I recall on the old forum this question was asked and one of the recommendations that was made for very good matching rattle can paint was Plasti-kote Premium Enamel T-31 Bright Orange.  I used that on my koni's and they turned out great. 

texas swede

Dave,
A local paint shop here in Richardson, Texas used an original front shock dated 4-65 and used the underside of the mounting bracket as an example and matched it up perfectly.
If you send me a message with your email address I will send the formula (PPG).
Texas Swede

Rickmustang

Texas Swede did the same for me a couple of weeks ago. However, PPG no longer makes that paint that he has the formula for. So I took an original shock (just purchased from John Azbach collection) in and paint matched (where it was not faded/worn) it with a "standard" PPG color (enamel) from a giant color book. It's just almost a perfect match. I had a pint mixed. I can send you the code this weekend if you want....And it is definitely more red than orange, which is different from the modern color.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

DRGT350

Thanks Texas And Rick !

Sent you a PM

Rickmustang

I had many inquiries about this paint. Attached is a pic of the PPG label. Thanks!
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

bluemax

6S235

SFM5S000

I just saw this post. Cobra Automotive sells a pre-mixed (out of a rattle can) KONI paint for early cars that's dead on.
It's not in there catalog. You have to ask for it.

Cheers,
~Earl J