Author Topic: Hertz Rent-A-Car sites from 1965  (Read 1980 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Hertz Rent-A-Car sites from 1965
« on: November 03, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
Hi all,

A few years ago I picked up a 1965 Hertz Worldwide Directory with the addresses of all their rental sites in 1965.  Below are some images of the directory and a few locations with postcard images of the original sites.  I have not checked google street view for the current addresses, if anyone wants to check them out and post the current street views.  If you have a site you would like the address to, post the city and state and I will post the page with those addresses.  Then I would like you to research that address and post images of the site if they are interesting.

Enjoy

Cory
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:59:16 PM by 6s1640 »

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Hertz Rent-A-Car sites from 1965
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 08:53:07 PM »
Here is Tucson Arizona.

Cory

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »
Here is the Everett Washington site as it is today.  The original building was built in 1935, so it is very likely the original HERTZ Rent-A-Car site looked very similar as it does today.

The machinist I have been going to for years worked for Hertz back in the day of the GT350 rental program.  I will be seeing him Friday, from a distance, and I will ask him for more details.  He has told me he worked on the GT350H's when they were in rental service.  I am hoping his memory is good.  He is 76 now and he would have been 22 at the time.  He worked at this Everett site that appears to still exits.

I was thinking, if he was up to it, it might be cool if SAAC could interview him and see what stories he could tell.  I will ask him.

Cory
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:11:47 PM by 6s1640 »

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 12:03:31 AM »
Hi SilvertonFord,

This one is for you.  Salem Oregon, 195 Commercial St. SE.  Have you driven by here and knew this was a former Hertz Rent-A-Car site back in 1965.  It would be fun to get many Oregon Hertz GT350H's to meet here for a photo op.

The Marion County web tax records only goes back to 1984, but was owned at the time by Marion Rental Car.  The image suggests the site is still automotive related and is likely still configured, or very similar, as it was when Hertz operated here.  Makes me wonder if you went to the local tax assessor, would they have an image from 1966?

Cory
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 01:35:28 AM by 6s1640 »

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 02:01:22 AM »
Hi SilvertonFord,

This one is for you.  Salem Oregon, 195 Commercial St. SE.  Have you driven by here and knew this was a former Hertz Rent-A-Car site back in 1965.  It would be fun to get many Oregon Hertz GT350H's to meet here for a photo op.

The Marion County web tax records only goes back to 1984, but was owned at the time by Marion Rental Car.  The image suggests the site is still automotive related and is likely still configured, or very similar, as it was when Hertz operated here.  Makes me wonder if you went to the local tax assessor, would they have an image from 1966?

Cory

Cory,

Wow, cool!  Yes, I have driven by this site many times.  It is in downtown Salem, OR.   Unfortunately last summer they demoed the building and it is now a gravel lot waiting for the next building to be constructed.  It was a cool building with a service garage on one side and looks like they probably sold gas out front as well.  In the center of the building there was a ramp that you could drive up on the roof for parking.  They also had parking inside at ground level and possibly underground, but I am not sure on that.  It would have been a cool site to see back in the day when it was operating.

Brian

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 12:29:29 PM »
Was this the Los Angeles airport site? I remember passing Hertz when we'd take my dad to LAX for business trips. I never could get him to rent me a GT350 though.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 04:54:46 PM »
Hi Cory, Do you have the Hertz locations for Charlotte, NC.    Thanks, Denny

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 05:35:59 PM »
Hi Denny,

See image below.  Please let us know what you find out.

Cory

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Thanks so much Cory!
The invoice for my Hertz car (I got a copy of it from Howard) was billed to:

C. L. Davis
HERTZ CORPERATION
423 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC

I don't know which of the locations listed on your document was actually where my car was rented from. I guess it could have been any or all of them. It would be nice to know. I was once told by a local Charlotte guy, that most of the GT-350H's were rented out at the Charlotte airport location. 

Thanks again, Denny

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:28:11 PM by 6S1568 »

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 10:09:09 PM »
Thanks so much Cory!
The invoice for my Hertz car (I got a copy of it from Howard) was billed to:

C. L. Davis
HERTZ CORPERATION
423 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC

I don't know which of the locations listed on your document was actually where my car was rented from. I guess it could have been any or all of them. It would be nice to know. I was once told by a local Charlotte guy, that most of the GT-350H's were rented out at the Charlotte airport location. 

Thanks again, Denny

Hi Denny,

My understanding is that the GT350H's were mostly rented from major airports.  However, if people then are like people today, many rentals start at one location and are return to another.  Its like my machinist location in Everett WA.  I expect all the GT350H's in the area started out at the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, but over time they spread out and some ended up in Everett WA.  He tells me that he worked on them at the Everett Rental site.  I would then also expect these cars were then ferried back to SEA-TAC for a future rental from the airport.  It is highly likely your car was rented out of all the nearby sites.

I checked the address you posted on Google.maps.  It would appear the original site, like others, is long gone.  There is a massive building there now that does not looks conducive to a rental car site.

On the billing to the 423 N. Tryon Street site, I think Howard might be the best person to offer an explanation.

Cory

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:14:01 PM by 6s1640 »