News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

correct phosphate finish for hood hinges

Started by jk66gt350, November 06, 2020, 01:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jk66gt350

I was planning on sending my hood hinges to Jim Cowles to have them properly restored - and am hoping he gets well and can still do that - but if that does not happen in the near future, what other restorers would people recommend I consider?  Thanks, John

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I think Special Ed has a source, try contacting him
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

jk66gt350

Thanks and will do.  Has anyone used the phosphate coating services at Anghel Restorations, and if so, would you recommend them?

Special Ed

We did 100 or so hinges latches etc last winter and sold them off quickly.  You can do phosphate yourself but probly too much trouble unless u got a bunch of parts to do.  The boss 302 guys have phosphating parties and they all get together on a planned weekend and do a bunch of parts at the same time in PA  Cali and WA groups  so maybe shelby groups could do the same.

Cjc6566

I have used Marcus @ Anghel Restorations for some work and he is incredibly professional and honest with an eye aimed at perfection.  I haven't used him for exactly the need you have but if he says he can do it.... I would trust his word.

Cheers

Cory James
owner of 1604 Hertz / Portland Oregon

cascade-classics

Jack at Dead Nuts On did ours.  Look great.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cascade-classics on November 10, 2020, 09:57:38 AM
Jack at Dead Nuts On did ours.  Look great.
How much does Jack charge to zinc phosphate hinges?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jk66gt350

I talked to Jack this afternoon.  His quote for both hinges, the four hinge to hood bolts, both springs and my hood latch was $200 including shipping back (within the US).

Bob Gaines

Quote from: jk66gt350 on November 10, 2020, 04:42:58 PM
I talked to Jack this afternoon.  His quote for both hinges, the four hinge to hood bolts, both springs and my hood latch was $200 including shipping back (within the US).
That sounds like a fair price given the number of items , chemicals ,prep time (biggest time consuming factor IMO) and tools needed. I had to make up a special tall stainless steel pot to place the extended hood hinges in for instance.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

bluemax

Quote from: johnzajc@gmail.com on November 11, 2020, 12:47:16 PM
All the guys being mentioned dealing with them and or to get to know them will be your absolute privilege and good experience---however any phosphating is straight forward venture that could be tackled rather successfully even if you have never worked on cars before. the key is ask , listen and follow instructions. Bob Perkings has video on tube and if you still need more help does answer the phone and U will find him pleasure to talk to. In short  u will have no problem. I do small jobs for myself and friends in kitchen when my wife is on night shift and for bigger parts had tank made and do it on backyard. Good luck ---john  .

As John posted... really very straight forward. One key is to have clean contaminate free parts (no paint, rust, oil, etc.).
6S235

PerryH

Would using an outdoor LP gas stove (instead of an electric stove/hotplate) be inadvisable due to any flammability of the solution?

Obviously you do not want to put oil or WD40 into a flame, but that's not what is heated on the stove.

Coralsnake

You can do it in a pot on the bbq grille. Just check temperature frequently. Outdoor is best, due to fumes.

Oil goes on after removing parts from heated solution.

Very easy to do

J_Speegle

Quote from: PerryH on November 11, 2020, 02:48:09 PM
Would using an outdoor LP gas stove (instead of an electric stove/hotplate) be inadvisable due to any flammability of the solution?

I use an outdoor LP camp stove (folds up nicely when I don't need it) and a stainless catering tray (they come in allot of different sizes) Bought both used for less than $50 total. The plating mixture is not flammable but like most things the concern is fumes and another else in the surrounds being flammable

Quote from: PerryH on November 11, 2020, 02:48:09 PMObviously you do not want to put oil or WD40 into a flame, but that's not what is heated on the stove.

You don't want a spray like WD40 in the vicinity IMHO (like having silicon spray in a paint shop. One little drop in your plating mixture and your starting over :(  As me how I know  ::) Its easy and can be fun. I would suggest that if you do it yourself do multiple pieces if you can 4-6 of each part your doing. Then (if the part is not dated to your particular car) you can then choose the best pieces for your car and sell off the rest. Do this will most of the stuff I have plated in any finish. If I'm paying it often cost no more to do more - within limits of course
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

jk66gt350

Thanks all for the info.  I had not thought of doing the phosphate coating myself, but I'll think about trying it.  All my parts have already been media blasted. I did find this video on youtube - and coincidently involves the same parts:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQguYKaJLg