News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 GT350 4 speed dash Pot

Started by Corey Bowcutt, November 09, 2020, 04:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I have noticed in photos an item on Holley carburetors that I do not have on mine.  I have been told it is called a dash pot.  I have a February 12 1968 GT350 4 speed with the aluminum intake and Holley carb.  My question, should I have one of these on my carb and if so does anyone have any available?

Thank you, Corey

Corey Bowcutt

Coralsnake

I would respectfully disagree, I think both of the the S8MS Holley carbs were equipped with a dashpot (4spd and Automatic)

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TLea

Agreed. All 68 Shelby carbs used dashpot

TLea

GT 350 uses same as GT 500 set up
Don, you got a pic?

CharlesTurner

You guys sure?  I have examples of both.  My '68 (2152) was judged at several MCA/SAAC nationals over the years and never had a deduction for a missing dashpot.  I went back through the judging sheets to be sure.  MCA judging sheets don't mention the dashpot though.

Tim, the big block dashpot has the long push rod, right?  In the examples I have a small blocks with a dashpot, it's the style used on 65-66 automatic cars.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Corey Bowcutt

Well this is interesting.  So to my second question does anyone know where I can get one that is correct for my car including the bracket that mounts it?

Coralsnake

I know of a car that went through SAAC judging and was painted the wrong color. It never received a deduction. None of the codes were changed.

😉

TLea

Quote from: CharlesTurner on November 09, 2020, 06:33:52 PM
You guys sure?  I have examples of both.  My '68 (2152) was judged at several MCA/SAAC nationals over the years and never had a deduction for a missing dashpot.   

Tim, the big block dashpot has the long push rod, right? 
Not surprised on judging. Until I really researched 350s about 8-9 years ago there was not a lot known out there about 350s. Sure everyone knew 500s and KRs but the 350s nobody had really seen many that were done correctly. Regarding the style of dash pot, when you say longer pushrod you're thinking of the cobra jet carburetor which is true on a KR. The 6566 used a autolite style which is a totally different Dash pot and bracket. 6 68 350s and 500s had holley dashpot with a rubber boot around the plunger. If you look at 68 GT 390s you will see the same style used. Let me see if I can find a picture

TLea

Found a picture, I asked 'Pete to post it since it's from his collection

Coralsnake

CharlesTurner

Is the belief that only 4sp Holley carbs should have a dashpot or also 4300 4sp should have one?  I found a reference noting for the 4300, a dashpot only applied to auto trans cars... and was like the earlier cars except with a longer shaft and slightly different bracket.

Guess I'm not completely convinced, maybe some original photos/low mileage examples would help?  Any documentation?  ;D

Pic of the bracket would be nice, I have several, but they're all mixed style.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

TLea

OK picture of autolite 4 spd dashpot coming

KDunne

hi per Tims request here is an early autolite dashpot photo