News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Anyone else see the pictures of the supposed 99 point car in for sale section

Started by Bob Gaines, November 14, 2020, 09:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

The add claims "One of the nicest 65 Shelbys in existence!!  This car is a 99 point #1 car "  I think seller means to imply 99 point out of 100 by the attitude and also using #1. It talks about award winning restoration however with a claimed Aug 2020 restoration completion date I am unaware of any concours venues the car could have entered to attain awards. Those are quite the bragging points . I see many Shelby 101 mistakes and out of the ordinary build techniques . Does anyone else?. Of course it still looks like a outstanding car but before someone flames me for picking on the car think about when someone makes brags on such lofty claims and then puts them on the premier Shelby information forum on the planet it is not unreasonable to expect there might be some push back. It is a little insulting given the mistakes seen that nothing would be said . If nothing is said being posted with those claims on this forum can have a tendency to add legitimacy to the mistakes to the uninformed. The seller needs to do more homework because it would be far from 99 point out of 100 in the present state if entered in MCA trailered or SAAC concours in it's present state.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Greg

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 14, 2020, 09:17:41 PM
  The add claims "One of the nicest 65 Shelbys in existence!!  This car is a 99 point #1 car "  I think seller means to imply 99 point out of 100 by the attitude and also using #1. It talks about award winning restoration however with a claimed Aug 2020 restoration completion date I am unaware of any concours venues the car could have entered to attain awards. Those are quite the bragging points . I see many Shelby 101 mistakes and out of the ordinary build techniques . Does anyone else?. Of course it still looks like a outstanding car but before someone flames me for picking on the car think about when someone makes brags on such lofty claims and then puts them on the premier Shelby information forum on the planet it is not unreasonable to expect there might be some push back. It is a little insulting given the mistakes seen that nothing would be said . If nothing is said being posted with those claims on this forum can have a tendency to add legitimacy to the mistakes to the uninformed. The seller needs to do more homework because it would be far from 99 point out of 100 in the present state if entered in MCA trailered or SAAC concours in it's present state.

Bob, you are 100% on point here.  I glanced through and saw a number of things that aren't correct but could be corrected.  My thought was he should have had yourself or one of the other authorities on these cars take a look and recommend some things before he offered for sale.  I wish him the best but I believe he is going to be upset when others start helping him see incorrect things.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

CharlesTurner

Agreed Bob, it was a little hard to listen to the videos.  A good car will speak for itself, there's no need to add all the hype.  There's no such thing as a perfect restoration.

It looks like a nice car, most of the improvement areas could be easily corrected. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

camp upshur

The write up is awkward. The car seems to present well.  The seller seems to go to great effort to deflect or inoculate anticipated 'witnesses from the past' stepping forth. In my opinion all of the warts mentioned are entirely normal for a 1965 GT-350. So the quarters were hacked up (perhaps w 70's IMSA flares) and later metalwork repaired, or the front end may have been bashed in losing its fenders (or more). Those are entirely normal occurrences in the 1965 fleet throughout its existence for the majority of 65s. Especially throughout the early 70's ~ late 80's.
The stratospheric rise in value, accompanied by a boutique industry of incredible craftsmanship (and of course 'experts'), wherein virginal 'Day 1' cars appear thence disappear in collections perhaps led poor Ron to this blubbering presentation. Or its just a simple blubbering presentation.

Coralsnake

Oh, I just got a shooting pain.  That reminds me why I am so over the detailing marks.

They are ridiculous on this example.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 15, 2020, 10:00:02 AM
Oh, I just got a shooting pain.  That reminds me why I am so over the detailing marks.

They are ridiculous on this example.

A shooting pain? Yeh. The shoulder pad for my shotgun is inadequate.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM6S087

Thank you, Bob, for starting this topic. You are absolutely correct. To allow unfounded claims to go unchallenged on this forum is to (silently) endorse them.

I've seen some GREAT cars that I'd love to own get soured by unrealistic claims. It's completely unnecessary and (for me) detracts from the appeal of an otherwise worthy car.

Steve

sfm5

In its present state this is a fantastic looking car that "speaks for itself". The seller would be better off not over-explaining & embellishing (in the written SAAC ad). Any serious buyer would certainly get an "expert" to thoroughly inspect a car making such lofty claims, especially at this price point! Because these cars from new were fairly raw race cars, many if not most were ridden hard & put away wet, modded, cut up, etc. in their early years, this one apparently being no exception, ie: is that a sales receipt for $500 from 1987 in the documentation video? It is better to embrace the honest history of these amazing cars then attempt to rewrite it in a grab for $$.

As a fellow '65 owner I am not slagging the owner or the car, just the sales approach.
65 GT350

Bob Gaines

I am wondering it is the same Ron Miller that used to be Ford Power parts?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Krelboyne

Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Tinface

"Pride cometh before a fall". . I live by that quote although--for me-- it's not difficult-- there's nothing in my life to be proud of...

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69mach351w on November 15, 2020, 01:50:10 PM
Quote from: sfm5 on November 15, 2020, 01:39:49 PM
As a fellow '65 owner I am not slagging the owner or the car, just the sales approach.
Well, maybe some here that knows should school this guy. Does anyone know who he is? Maybe he's just ignorant about the specific, correct details that some of you guys know, and he would probably appreciate Any help. I'm sure he knows of the high dollar this car can bring, just don't know that there are several areas that need to be corrected for that price he's asking.
That is typically a reasonable sentiment. If it is the same Ron Miller some of use think it is then he will not very easily take guidance ::). He is very knowledgeable in Ford performance but is not up to speed in Shelby history and build techniques. The impression I get from the few times that I have interacted with him is that he is one of those people that think they know better then anyone else. I have had first hand experience in trying to help him short out Shelby issues in the past . My time was wasted and ignored.

RPMRon

Yes I owned Ford Power Parts.  If anyone notices something that is incorrectly done or incorrect part I would appreciate knowing exactly what it is. The $500 receipt from the third owners was done for DMV purposes to save on sales tax. He paid $7500 for the car and an extra $1k for the 8v intake, Cobra valve covers and extra spare parts. This car has not been judged at a Shelby event, this is my opinion and others that have seen the car. I read your comments, so I put a note on the ad to clarify this.  The main reason I mentioned the corrections to the SAAC registry is the first person that was very interested in the car said NO because of what he read in the registry and he (incorrectly) thought that the stripe overspray in the door jambs was not the way that Shelby did it and therefore the restoration shop did not know what they were doing. I have approximately 300 pictures of this car and each engine part and no one from this ad has asked to see them yet. Bob,  I DO NOT and have NEVER claimed to be a Shelby expert. I DO claim to be an expert on Ford V8 1960's engines especially the FE series which I have designed and manufactured parts on a shoestring budget better than gigantic aftermarket companies. I am trying to be 100% transparent, so again, if you see something that is not correct, please point it out. thanks in advance, Ron Miller 

chris NOS

That's a nice car ,to get it more correct , One thing that' is obvious it's missing the pinch weld rocker area black out and the overspray that 's going with it .I think this car suppose to have a hood prop and no spring for the hood, the master cylinder cap should be black.