News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rear End Housing needing new spring perches

Started by gbart14, November 19, 2020, 12:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbart14

The rear end housing in my 65 Shelby was installed for drag racing many years ago and is probably 57 Ford type with big bearings, etc. I found an original housing with 2 1/2" drums, etc. but the previous owner cut off the spring perches for a project and never finished it. So, now I have that housing and new over-ride brackets from Jim Cowles. I need to install new spring perches at the correct angle relative the face of the differential mount. What is the mounting angle? I have seen this question posed on other forums and everyone seems to get hung up on the pinion angle discussion and never they never get to the angle that the spring perches need to be mounted relative to the face of the differential mount.

Next, is there a source for the correct spring perches? Thanks.
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

OldGuy

Regarding a "source" for the spring perches that you need, I'll go out on a limb and say that you probably won't be able to find a suitable new (original-type) spring perch. I would suggest that you look for a used housing that has the necked-down tubes and carefully remove the perches. The axle housing could essentially be "junk" for your needs. This leaves you to find an 8" or even a 6 cylinder housing (I think?) for a donor. I know that there are a lot of "white elephant" 6 cylinder rear ends floating around that have been replaced with V8 units. I've seen some that were almost free or at least very negotiable because nobody wants them.

I'm no help as far as the mounting angle that you are looking for. If you were to use an 8" donor housing, you could extrapolate the required angle from that housing.

Best of luck to you.

Frank

6R07mi

I might be missing something here, but the pinion angle does involve ( what angle ) the spring seats are attached.

The proper orientation of the spring seats (perch) established the correct pinion angle.
Then also you need the lateral dimension to align the seats, measured from the end flange face.
I suspect you would have to see if a current housing fabricator has seats identical to the original FoMoCO part or find salvage parts.

Perhaps someone here with more expertise can advise if the 8" housing & 9" housing use the same seat ??

good luck with your project

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

KR Convertible

gbart14

Thanks, Frank and Jim P. Yes, I was thinking I would cut a couple off a 2 1/2" housing as on option. I have a source for those. Just thought it would be simpler if I had a source for new ones.

Regarding the pinion angle question, yes, the angle at which the perches are attached sets the pinion angle. So, Ford predetermined what the welded on perch angle was to get to the desired pinion angle. I have measured a couple of 9" housings that came off of some unknown car and they measure about 2deg pointing up to the front relative to the center section mounting flange. The center section was still installed so it may not be exact. That is why I want to get confirmation.

Yes, I can call Curie - good idea.
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

gbart14

OK, I just talked to Curie (Jake) and he says the stock spec for 65 - 66 mustangs is 2.5 degrees. I confirmed with him that if the pads are flat and parallel to the ground, they rotate the housing such that the mounting flange for the center section is facing up 2.5 degrees.