News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Gas Lid Cap

Started by Jbrooks, November 27, 2020, 12:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbrooks

Did these cars come with a gas lid screw cap?  I only have the pop down cover on my car, but it seems like gasoline goes bad really quick in my car (<2 months). I recently installed a new gas tank and rubber fuel lines on the car. However, I had to pull the carb and I noticed that the new gas that was placed in a new tank, was already yellowish (not dark, but getting there). I'm just wondering if I'm venting off gas vapors which is causing the gasoline to yellow. I know that ethanol makes this worse, but I wouldn't expect 2 month gas to do this that quickly.

I've included pictures on my gas lid, if it helps.

67 GT350 #2260
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jbrooks on November 27, 2020, 12:35:52 PM
Did these cars come with a gas lid screw cap?  I only have the pop down cover on my car, but it seems like gasoline goes bad really quick in my car (<2 months). I recently installed a new gas tank and rubber fuel lines on the car. However, I had to pull the carb and I noticed that the new gas that was placed in a new tank, was already yellowish (not dark, but getting there). I'm just wondering if I'm venting off gas vapors which is causing the gasoline to yellow. I know that ethanol makes this worse, but I wouldn't expect 2 month gas to do this that quickly.

I've included pictures on my gas lid, if it helps.
What you see in your picture is like what came on the cars originally. You may be confusing with some of the much later pop open caps that were made with a separate gas cap for liability reasons.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

You may want to consider using some fuel stabilizer like Sta-bil in your gas.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dan Case

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 27, 2020, 01:35:17 PM

+1
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Jbrooks

I agree Bob on the fuel stabilizer, and I usually add it. I was more curious about the prevention of gas flashing off due to a poor seal on the gas lid, and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with these gas lids. I'm just surprised that the gas is turning yellow after just two months. Thanks for the input!
67 GT350 #2260

69mach351w

Quote from: Dan Case on November 27, 2020, 02:37:15 PM

+1
+2,   or E-Free gas. I'm lucky enough to have it here and 93 to boot. 4 miles from my house ;D

Jbrooks

I sure miss ethanol free gas. They don't have it in my area.
67 GT350 #2260

Dan Case

Quote from: Jbrooks on November 27, 2020, 04:43:26 PM

Have you checked this site?
https://www.pure-gas.org
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

69mach351w

Quote from: Dan Case on November 27, 2020, 06:00:24 PM
Quote from: Jbrooks on November 27, 2020, 04:43:26 PM

Have you checked this site?
https://www.pure-gas.org
Cool site Dan. I found mine ;D
Actually, in the Asheville area, there's 12 stations that sell 87-93 E-free within 15 minutes of my house. I don't know why some other cities/states don't offer it.

68blk500c

An alternative gasoline stabilizer is: "Stor-N-Start".
A marine grade & military spec product with a MUCH longer life.

Rickmustang

I buy VP ethanol free leaded and unleaded at my local auto parts store in 5 gallon cans.  The lawnmowers and motorcycle get unleaded, and the old cars get VP Vintage leaded fuel. Expensive but worth it if you don't drive much.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

69mach351w

Quote from: Rickmustang on November 28, 2020, 08:51:12 AM
I buy VP ethanol free leaded and unleaded at my local auto parts store in 5 gallon cans.  The lawnmowers and motorcycle get unleaded, and the old cars get VP Vintage leaded fuel. Expensive but worth it if you don't drive much.
I had a lawn business and used the Sta-Bil Marine (blue formula) in my small engines. A lot cheaper than buying the E-Free at 80 cent more a gallon. I don't care to spend the extra on my first Gen Mustangs since I do drive them regularly.
But, I'm with you Rick, pay the extra when your autos are not drove as much.

69mach351w

Now, back to Jbrooks, yea use the Sta-Bil like BG and others here mentioned. Highly advise not running ethanol gas when you can steer clear with Sta-Bil additives.

Jbrooks

Thanks everyone that commented. I have always wondered about the gas lid part, and now I know that I'm not missing anything. I've used the pure gas site before, but I just confirmed that my home town of 120,000 people, and there isn't one station that sells ethanol free gas. I didn't know that VP sells E-free gas, so I'll check it out.

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving, and was able to put some miles on their Shelby's.
67 GT350 #2260

jim mac

"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti