News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sequential Box hook

Started by shelbymann1970, November 30, 2020, 07:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

How was the hook mounted? Was it done on the line at Dearborn and painted over when the trunk was painted or mounted at AO Smith? Any pics of original cars showing the detail?  Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

eric lipper

I am the first to plead ignorance but what is a box hook?   
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

Special Ed

Its a 69 cougar part that mounts the 69 cougar flasher box on lh trunk floor drop and stick welded on  a 69 shelby since they use the same rear wiring setup as a cougar.  If its missing on a shelby it usually means the trunk floor was replaced and the hook wasnt removed from the original rusted or damaged floor. I have seen the same problem on the rh shelby trunk floor when replaced and the SS bottle bracket that was also stick welded on to the rh floor didnt get removed from the original floor and rewelded back on the replaced floor. Both these trunk floor brackets were installed at dearborn plant before paint since the cougars and boss 302s (of which these parts came from) were built on the same assembly plant line as the 69 shelbys were.

Shelbypat

I dont have the answer but just want to advise you there suppose to have a 3/4 " foam stuck behind the sequential module .Something to consider before you weld .This topic has been raised in the past but I dont find it.

Patrick

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Shelbypat on November 30, 2020, 09:01:32 AM
I dont have the answer but just want to advise you there suppose to have a 3/4 " foam stuck behind the sequential module .Something to consider before you weld .This topic has been raised in the past but I dont find it.

Patrick
I'm more curious on how Ford did it and how the finish should look. Thanks for the heads up on the foam. I got a few of those boxes having bought at swap meets. I'm running LED tail lights now and highly recommend them. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelbypat on November 30, 2020, 09:01:32 AM

Patrick
The hook was added prior to paint as Ed mentioned .The foam pad had adhesive and was stuck to the backside of the plastic module box. Given the wiring was added after any welding or paint work on the assemblyline the foam and welding would not be a issue . I think even if adding the hook if a previous restoration forgot that common sense (or at least would hope) would tell one to keep wiring and combustibles away from area during welding.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Thanks Ed and Bob. Somehow I missed Ed's post and read Pat's post yesterday. I was wondering how it was done paint wise so thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

J_Speegle

Foam I've seen/found was a very dense tight cell product that can be a challenge to find when you need some. I found some mattress cover/topper foam that was a pretty close match

As far as the "hook" here are a couple of pictures from different angles

In some cases a layer of seam sealer (likely a continuation from the rear wheel well to floor) found its way over the hook to floor area as shown below. Of course if the car had the Calif Evap system all of this is difficult to see

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

The welding of the hook typically looks very poor and is often challenged as added by those are unfamiliar with the correct s#itty look. ::) In this case if it were a nice weld in that location then it would be a red flag that the part was added since a nice weld in that location would be out of the ordinary. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 02, 2020, 11:38:42 AM
The welding of the hook typically looks very poor and is often challenged as added by those are unfamiliar with the correct s#itty look. ::) In this case if it were a nice weld in that location then it would be a red flag that the part was added since a nice weld in that location would be out of the ordinary. ;)
West Coast Cougars has a closeup pic of the part welded in. Bob, do you or anyone else have a good clear  pic of the hook mounted in a car? On my restoration it sat for over a year in my guy's shop before work was done. While the pass side drop off was good and not replaced I had the DS replaced(minor rust). I do not know why I never missed the hook in my resto. Never gave it a thought as my metal man didn't SAVE it and I need one now. I found one locally still mounted to a cut off portion of a Cougar but the shape(bends) doesn't look right to the WCC pic on their website. I have a good idea on how I will put one on my car but need to find a hook worthy of putting in my car. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Shelbypat

From rip forum.
Others may comment as I dont know the historical of the car. BTW It is what a used to duplicate when I welded mine.

Patrick

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelbypat on December 02, 2020, 05:32:25 PM
From rip forum.
Others may comment as I dont know the historical of the car. BTW It is what a used to duplicate when I welded mine.

Patrick
Other then the perceived odd silver color it looks like a typical installation workmanship and location wise IMO. The welding quality varied .

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 02, 2020, 06:12:07 PM
Other then the perceived odd silver color it looks like a typical installation workmanship and location wise IMO. The welding quality varied .

If your referring to the cars color, believe that is Jade Black and an example of what digital cameras and odd lighting can do to a color :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

Remember cougar trunk floors are different than mustang so the hook was designed to only fit cougars but was added to 69 shelbys also

69 GT350 Vert

Photo