News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hertz carryover

Started by Clone65, November 30, 2020, 01:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clone65

I was just wondering if any of the 65 carryover cars were made into Hertz cars? Thank You

Coralsnake

I think one was the Hertz "prototype"

Clone65

I was aware of this one...number 10? Raises another question for me, is it a " carryover" as well?
Hertz prototype where would i find more info?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Clone65 on November 30, 2020, 03:20:50 PM
I was aware of this one...number 10? Raises another question for me, is it a " carryover" as well?
Not #10 but #1. See history in registry. I think it was the only one to get the interesting vinyl top treatment(thank God).
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

The ONLY carryover used for Hertz was THE prototype 6S048. Originally white "standard issue" carryover. Painted black , Cragars , 4speed , delivered to Hertz for testing. many pictures. "I" am not positive it was "put into service" . Greg Kolasa "might" know but there are discrepancies in his latest offerings. 048 is M.I.A. and has never been since seen as far as I know.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Clone65

More info leads to more questions. Need me a copy of this Registry. Thanks
Coralsnake..SUPERB WEBSITE!!

J_Speegle

That is 6S001 as Bob stated but it was not a "carry over" but instead a Mustang converted to a 66 Shelby - Carriers a 11966 Mustang Ford VIN rather than a 65 one like the "carry overs"
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Clone65

Wow that would make quite the story.
So only 1 carryover and it is THE prototype for Hertz and whereabouts no known.
How many prototypes in the 66 year?
Sorry as i do not have a Registry (yet).

gt350hr

2 for Hertz. The other later (66 chassis) was an automatic. The number is in the registry book

SFM6S087

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 30, 2020, 04:04:51 PM

That is 6S001 as Bob stated but it was not a "carry over" but instead a Mustang converted to a 66 Shelby - Carriers a 11966 Mustang Ford VIN rather than a 65 one like the "carry overs"

Jeff,

If you're saying that 6S001 has a 1966 Ford VIN I'd appreciate some sort of explanation. Obviously without sharing the actual VIN.

I know that 6S001, as a prototype, was not acquired through the same ordering process as the other cars considered carryovers. But prototypes usually get built before production starts for the rest of the cars of a particular year model. If the other carryovers were built from 1965 chassis because the 1966 chassis were not available yet, how did the prototype (that proceeded them) get a 1966 chassis?

Based on everything I know 6S001 must have a 1965 Ford VIN. And therefore it fits the "general definition" of a carryover – a 1965 Mustang that was converted into a 1966 GT350. Hence the often quoted number of 252 carryovers.

But you have certainly piqued my interest. If you have information that contradicts what I've written here, please share. I'm always ready to learn something new. And this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Thanks,
Steve

J_Speegle

Not sure what I was thinking when I posted - must have been too much time spent online buying Christmas presents. 6S001 does have a 65 Mustang VIN (struck through comment in the reply above).  Glad to be wrong on something so easy and quickly caught and corrected

Thanks for the catch  - important to have the correct information out there

In the general context I would offer that any car could have been chosen (if time allowed and were available) to be the prototype just like any car on site (Mustangs) could have been picked to become the first production Shelby since the conversion on site by SA
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SFM6S087

Thanks, Jeff. I appreciate the speedy reply and correction. We all have one of "those days" every now and then.

I notice that you let stand your remark about 6S001 not being a carryover. I guess we'll agree to disagree on that point.

As the prototype, 6S001 does not share the exact same production history of the other 251 cars. But it does fit the generally accepted definition of a carryover – a car that started out as a 1965 Mustang and was built into a 1966 GT350. Phrased another way, it's a 1966 GT350 with a 1965 Ford VIN.

And, in a way, 6S001 is the father of the other 251 cars. An honored member of the carryover family in my mind. Yes, it's also the father of the full production, 1966 chassis GT350's, but they are a different branch of the family having come from the new, 1966, mother. Ha, ha!

I hope you understand that last paragraph is a combination play on words and a joke. I sometimes get misunderstood when I try to inject a little humor into my posts.

Steve

Clone65

Sooo the other 66 prototype, 48, if that is the Hertz prototype? What number is the car that is shown somewhere with T Bird taillights and a spoiler? Was that #1 just reconfigured. If not would that be 3 protptypes?

gt350hr

048 The initial Hertz "demonstrator" was simply a color change to black and gold , not a "special build" so to speak.