Author Topic: Hertz carryover  (Read 5241 times)

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hertz carryover
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 10:14:39 AM »
Sooo the other 66 prototype, 48, if that is the Hertz prototype? What number is the car that is shown somewhere with T Bird taillights and a spoiler? Was that #1 just reconfigured. If not would that be 3 protptypes?

I can't remember the number of the car, but I think they used a 1965 GT350 to test the taillight and spoiler variations.

Steve

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 10:43:18 AM »
   010 IIRC
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 11:04:56 AM »
048 The initial Hertz "demonstrator" was simply a color change to black and gold , not a "special build" so to speak.

Randy,

I’ve always heard 048 referred to as the first Hertz “prototype,” but your use of the word “demonstrator” and the explanation you supplied deserve some consideration.

In general terms I think of a prototype as a car that has some of the most significant features of a new model, and is used to judge whether to continue, kill, or modify a design concept.

I think of a demonstrator as a car that has all (or most) of the significant features of a new model, and is used to demonstrate how the final product will appear and function. In particular, a car that you can drive to find out if you like a particular model.

Between those two, I think I’ll stick with “prototype” to describe 048. But that’s based on my personal perception of the meanings of those words. Dictionary definitions may lead to a different conclusion.

To check on that I went to Mirriam-Webster.com and came up with the following.

Prototype:
1: an original model on which something is patterned : ARCHETYPE
2: an individual that exhibits the essential features of a later type
3: a standard or typical example
4: a first full-scale and usually functional form of a new type or design of a construction (such as an airplane)

Demonstrator:
: one that demonstrates:
a: a product (such as an automobile) used to demonstrate performance or merits to prospective buyers
b: a person who engages in a public demonstration

Looking at those, it seems to me that 048 fits the definition of both prototype and demonstrator. I’m sticking with “prototype,” but only because of personal preference. Obviously a good case can be made for either one.

What fun! Thank you for making me think about this.

Steve

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 11:10:06 AM »
^ That's it...one of the advanced prototypes 5010.
It's unique, but I've gotten accustomed to the stock t-lights on the 65-66's. I'm glad they didn't take that T-Bird route.
It would have been interesting if Ford changed them to individual lights in 1966 as a few Mustang Prototypes showed.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 11:21:01 AM »
   Steve call it what you like. I only "suggested" it's more like a demonstrater because the only change was the paint/stripe scheme. No change to anything else "on that car" for presentation to Hertz. "To me" prototype is more like a major change. I have called it the prototype forever and just recently looked at it differently.   To"may"to or  To"mah"to , All good.

Edited to correct my error , sorry Rich.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:09:10 PM by gt350hr »

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »
Sooo the other 66 prototype, 48, if that is the Hertz prototype? What number is the car that is shown somewhere with T Bird taillights and a spoiler? Was that #1 just reconfigured. If not would that be 3 protptypes?

5S319 ?? 
that car had nothing to do with Hertz project, it proceeds that activity by some time, if I recall?

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »
Whatever you all want to call 6S048, I just want to call it mine.
Now I just need to find it.
Brent

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 07:43:25 AM »
The last I saw of 0010, it was at Tony Conover's shop a half dozen years ago. Vinyl top, T-Bird lights. It was at SAAC 25 at Lime Rock as I remember.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
Whatever you all want to call 6S048, I just want to call it mine.
Now I just need to find it.
Brent

+1 on that!!! My personal opinion ( sadly) is that eastern weather got to the body when the cars were low in value and it was scrapped. I have ZERO proof , it's just a hunch based on no one knowing anything about it for 40+ years. It sure as hell would look good in MY driveway!
    Randy

Clone65

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 03:03:46 AM »
Thanks to all of you who contributed to this question I asked, of course more arise. I hope all have learned as I did.
Yes where is 6s048????

cobrakidz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 10:10:06 PM »
The last I saw of 0010, it was at Tony Conover's shop a half dozen years ago. Vinyl top, T-Bird lights. It was at SAAC 25 at Lime Rock as I remember.
Saw it back in the early 2000's at the Nor Cal SAAC BBQ - came out in an enclosed trailer for a brief showing.