News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Automatic Transmission build dates in early deliveries?

Started by TJinSA, December 01, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Quote from: Karguy on December 06, 2020, 02:49:37 PM
Here is another picture of the tags I talked about on eBay. Notice the detail to the tag shape, much better than the first picture. The font is still very wrong. If this manufacturer could correct the font, he'd really have some thing worth buying.

Hi all,

Both tags are mine.  The top tag is original to a HiPo C4 that I own.  The bottom tag was purchased off a popular auction site and modified by me to try an match the shape.  The seller matched my tag as far as information after I asked if he could make one.  I have suggested to the seller to lighten up the stamping, but yet to see an improved example.  He told me that buyers of his other tags preferred to see nice crisp well defined stampings so they can be easily read.  The photo is also mine.

The lower image is the tag aged some.  It is the best available at this time.

Cory

OldGuy

Quote from: 6s1640 on December 08, 2020, 02:08:47 AM
Quote from: Karguy on December 06, 2020, 02:49:37 PM
Here is another picture of the tags I talked about on eBay. Notice the detail to the tag shape, much better than the first picture. The font is still very wrong. If this manufacturer could correct the font, he'd really have some thing worth buying.

Hi all,

Both tags are mine.  The top tag is original to a HiPo C4 that I own.  The bottom tag was purchased off a popular auction site and modified by me to try an match the shape.  The seller matched my tag as far as information after I asked if he could make one.  I have suggested to the seller to lighten up the stamping, but yet to see an improved example.  He told me that buyers of his other tags preferred to see nice crisp well defined stampings so they can be easily read.  The photo is also mine.

The lower image is the tag aged some.  It is the best available at this time.

Cory

Cory, I don't believe that the manufacturer of your new tag will be able to replicate the faint stamped characters of an original tag because his process involves machining the characters not stamping the characters. I suppose it might be possible to use a cutting tool with a more shallow angle and not plunge the tool as deep into the metal but I think that the machining marks would still be visible.

I'm afraid that you're stuck with a tag that looks too good.

Frank

Bob Gaines

So close you can't tell is better but it is nice that there is a alternative that is as close as the examples posted to replace the often lost during rebuild tags. At least for trying to preserve a historical look standpoint IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6R07mi

Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

6R07mi

Quote from: gt350hr on December 07, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
   477 is a 5J date.

Randy, is 5J the engine build stamp date?

I never recorded that from 6S283, but #283 other data aligns in sequence with #281 and other cars I've recorded,
and lines up with #281 comments as previously noted.

regards
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

gt350hr

Quote from: 6R07mi on December 08, 2020, 01:02:55 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on December 07, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
   477 is a 5J date.

Randy, is 5J the engine build stamp date?

I never recorded that from 6S283, but #283 other data aligns in sequence with #281 and other cars I've recorded,
and lines up with #281 comments as previously noted.

regards
jim p
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.