News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Automatic Transmission build dates in early deliveries?

Started by TJinSA, December 01, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJinSA

For the first 50 or so 66 chasses delivered (i.e. 253-310), what do we know of the build dates on the ID tags on those AUTOMATIC transmissions?  Does anyone have a tag photo from one of these transmissions, or what was stamped on one???
Tom Kubler
6S296

Karguy

Tom, I own 281 and based on what I've seen when comparing other cars close to ours, the Ford vins are all very close. 281 is missing its original C4 hipo tag. A friend shared the pictures I have attached from a San Jose (non Shelby) K code car that was on eBay a couple of years back. The Ford vin in the picture is around
60ish sequential numbers from the Ford number on 281. I would guess it is also close to yours on 6s296. I have included pictures of the vin tag, engine build date and a shot of the C4 hipo tag all from the same car that was on eBay. If I can ever figure out how to recreate a proper looking tag for 281 I will use all the info on the tag in the picture. Hope this helps.
Karl 6S281
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

98SVT - was 06GT

There was a guy in Colorado that could do Ford VIN and part tags. He had the proper letter set. I googled an couldn't find him. Maybe a check of Hemmings may turn up something.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Karguy

That would certainly be nice. There's a company that makes them and has a listing on eBay, they look just look wrong. Maybe in a pinch. I have contacted Kevin Marty's company and ask them to please start making them, no word yet.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

J_Speegle

Many try and stamp the numbers and letters or use the wrong fonts. Stamping them often deforms the plate
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Karguy

Quote from: Karguy on December 05, 2020, 06:52:47 PM
That would certainly be nice. There's a company that makes them and has a listing on eBay, they look just look wrong. Maybe in a pinch. I have contacted Kevin Marti's company and ask them to please start making them, no word yet.

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Karguy

Here's an example of the one that is available on eBay. It looks like they have nailed the actual shape and edge of the tag but the font is way off, actually it's just too clear and too good. The original tags had a very faint imprint. The eBay item number is 254661855426

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Karguy on December 06, 2020, 12:32:58 AM
Here's an example of the one that is available on eBay. It looks like they have nailed the actual shape and edge of the tag but the font is way off, actually it's just too clear and too good. The original tags had a very faint imprint. The eBay item number is 254661855426
The original tag below isn't too faint. The letters are slightly bolder on the repro  however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TJinSA

The tagedge shape should have a flat area on both ends where the metal ribbon was run through the impression die then each individual tag would be snapped off. This was likely the origin of corrosion growth across the tag if anywhere. Making the dies to create a faithful tag shape with the fatigue tear away areas would be relatively easy, IMHO. The impression dies are just not something I could do in my simple shop.
Tom Kubler
6S296

Karguy

Here is another picture of the tags I talked about on eBay. Notice the detail to the tag shape, much better than the first picture. The font is still very wrong. If this manufacturer could correct the font, he'd really have some thing worth buying.

Blackcar

The bottom tag looks to have may been "cut" on a CNC machine and not stamped.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Blackcar on December 06, 2020, 03:51:27 PM
The bottom tag looks to have may been "cut" on a CNC machine and not stamped.
You can tell it is not stamped by the patterns inside the letter and number depressions. It seems like a nominal price to pay compared to the alternative which is nothing. I suppose you could always wait until he makes it closer or try and find a original for sale. I don't think too many have come up for sale in the last 30 plus years that I have been keeping track.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.