Author Topic: Photo Archive - The Henry Ford  (Read 9414 times)

Rodster-500

• View Profile
Photo Archive - The Henry Ford
« on: December 02, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
Lots of photos here.  Just use the search feature.

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Archive - The Henry Ford
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 09:10:08 AM »
Very kool site

Thanks for posting
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 12:10:43 PM »
Very interesting - great link!

I found the photo of Carroll Shelby taking a catnap on the rear deck of a 1964 Falcon Sprint to be very interesting. Looking at the car it has a roll cage and aftermarket wheels / tires. Sure would like to know more about that one!
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
Great link ! thanks !

Interesting pic (second one down in the link)  of a '67 GT350 w LAX terminal in the background, one for Szabo to give the  exact

location.

Mike

https://www.thehenryford.org/explore/blog/the-shelby-mustang-gt350r-the-pony-car-goes-racing/

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 12:43:23 PM »
Royce, I couldn't find the photo you are talking about, but is it this one that I have in my files ? I "believe" ? ? this is the  chassis

test mule for the GT350, was talked about here before, maybe on forum 1. I have more pics of it.

Mike

(photo: Dave friedman)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 01:12:30 PM »
Great link ! thanks !

Interesting pic (second one down in the link)  of a '67 GT350 w LAX terminal in the background, one for Szabo to give the  exact

location.

Mike

https://www.thehenryford.org/explore/blog/the-shelby-mustang-gt350r-the-pony-car-goes-racing/

I've been looking at this LAX photo for a while..it's an early '67 with a slanted grille, no emblem, and large letter Goodyear tires.
We can see something is attached inside of the right vent window (with suction cups?).

There is a rear view of this same car in the same location.
Just recently a small thumbnail view was shown in one of the German websites magazine archives...
If we're lucky Stephan/Szabo can retrieve it and hopefully there is some info with it too. (fingers crossed)

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 01:17:22 PM »
Royce, I couldn't find the photo you are talking about, but is it this one that I have in my files ? I "believe" ? ? this is the  chassis

test mule for the GT350, was talked about here before, maybe on forum 1. I have more pics of it.

Mike

Sure that's CS?  This man looks stockier than Carroll. And I wouldn't think CS would ever wear clod-hopper shoes like that.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
Side-Oilers, when I posted that photo I wondered if it was the old man myself, that might not be the photo that Royce is talking

about ?

Mike

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 02:00:57 PM »

Mike

Sure that's CS?  This man looks stockier than Carroll. And I wouldn't think CS would ever wear clod-hopper shoes like that.
I don't think that is CS either.  And not exactly napping, or was just woken up (he's flipping someone off....)
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »
Great link ! thanks !

location.

Mike

I've been looking at this LAX photo for a while..it's an early '67 with a slanted grille, no emblem, and large letter Goodyear tires.
We can see something is attached inside of the right vent window (with suction cups?).

There is a rear view of this same car in the same location.
Just recently a small thumbnail view was shown in one of the German websites magazine archives...
If we're lucky Stephan/Szabo can retrieve it and hopefully there is some info with it too. (fingers crossed)

Hello you two,

Thank you for inviting me to the party, I hope I can help a little.

Unfortunately there is no aerial photo of SAI on LAX where you can see the
 two hangars AND the theme building together.

So I got the current Google Air View Pic and added a few lines

The theme building was a very popular photo motif in the background, the fence between the car
 and building was only permeable in two places to the actual runway for aircraft.
(Purple line with two passes)

If you see the theme building and the terminal building in one line on a motif,
 the vehicle is at the upper exit (right side on the picture)
if it is offset from one another, it is at the lower entrance (left side on the picture)

Most of the "prototypes/early Production" have been photographed at the lower entrance,
not far from Hangar 9 where prototypes were built.
see the other 67 GT500 Pic and the 5s003 1965 GT350

the other example is from 67 Production where you can see both building standing in one line behind each other.

The overview pic with the fence, the gates and the linies (red/yellow) from current Air view Pic and the Cars all together...

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 04:34:55 PM »
  There were 20 white GT 350's that had a scoop light.  One of those was a hub cap equipped car.  So, we're down to 19.  Likley the "press car".  Don't recall the number of that one.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 06:33:06 PM »
  There were 20 white GT 350's that had a scoop light.  One of those was a hub cap equipped car.  So, we're down to 19.  Likley the "press car".  Don't recall the number of that one.

It appears there were slightly less than 20 white painted GT350s built with the upper scoop lights.
Cars such as VIN #0025 were not completed until June 1967 (according to SAI documents). The #0025 owner has confirmed it didn’t have the scoop lights.
Another white car was also reported (2011 registry) without the scoop lights. It too was confirmed the previous owner not to have them.

The first white car completed, a GT350, was #0018.
It was equipped with the MagStar wheels (per the SAI PO) as were all of the first ~400 Shelby GT’s built and shipped out of Ford’s San Jose factory.
#0018 was noted to be displayed at the 1966 LA auto show (Oct 27-Nov 6, 1966) according to Chris Brown and the 2017 Mecum Kissimmee auction listing.

The white car with ‘hubcaps’ (wheel covers) is only known because of the photo in the Canadian ‘Track and Traffic’ January 1967 magazine.
It is believed to be #0018. #0018 was sent to Michigan as Ray Geddes company car.
While in Michigan it likely became the test bed for the 15” steel rims fitted with the Thunderbird wheel covers (Shelby center caps inserts).
Geddes (or Shelby) was looking for ways to reduce unit costs with a standard base wheel.
Once approved, production cars were shipped with steel rims as an alternative to the upgraded customer (Shelby American) supplied wheels.

#0050, another white GT350, was also used for PR purposes and first appeared in the ‘Popular Hot Rodding’ February 1967 magazine.
It was not completed by SAI until ~3 weeks after #0018.   
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:57:41 PM by Richstang »

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 06:49:05 PM »
That's the photo I was talking about. Very cool Falcon especially if it has that sort of history. I wonder if it still exists?

Mike

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »

I don't think that is CS either.  And not exactly napping, or was just woken up (he's flipping someone off....)

Sure is!   Exactly how I feel today.

That's the photo I was talking about. Very cool Falcon especially if it has that sort of history. I wonder if it still exists?

Amazing photo and what a cool car if it still exists. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:38:14 PM by Rodster-500 »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 04:12:59 PM »
Stephan / Szabo, Thanks for pulling this rear view photo from the German magazine archive website  :)

After some further review, I do NOT believe this car is #0018.
#0018 and #0003, the first '67 GT350's completed by SAI, are believed to have the a different placement of the fender emblems.

This white '67 GT350, in these LAX photos, has the emblem in the normal production location.