News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT500KR disassembling exterior mirrors

Started by Jack4159, November 27, 2020, 10:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KR500

Quote from: Jack4159 on December 01, 2020, 08:24:58 PM
Thanks Bob, Pete and all.
Ok I'm sitting here mirror on workbench and if I think I can get it apart I will have a go, have the lot rechromed and stay original.I have the time so that is not an issue, I just don't want to butcher it.
Now, how do I release the mirror as Bob suggests? Heat, to free up the glue? If I get the mirror off I then could dremel grind off the mounting points for the control cables and the rest is cake?....but how to reattach?or is is better to detach the cables at the other end? That looks a tricky task releasing the crimps without breaking the housing.Better to cut the cables at the control knob end and silver solder back in? or can the crimp be opened up?
I leave the mirror glass alone. Disassemble the control end and leave the cables attached to the mirror plate. Getting the part that the cables attache to spread open to release the cables is the hard part. Do Not cut the cables! As noted before mark the location of the cables, they are color coded.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Jack4159

Quote from: KR500 on December 02, 2020, 08:47:44 AM
Quote from: Jack4159 on December 01, 2020, 08:24:58 PM
Thanks Bob, Pete and all.
Ok I'm sitting here mirror on workbench and if I think I can get it apart I will have a go, have the lot rechromed and stay original.I have the time so that is not an issue, I just don't want to butcher it.
Now, how do I release the mirror as Bob suggests? Heat, to free up the glue? If I get the mirror off I then could dremel grind off the mounting points for the control cables and the rest is cake?....but how to reattach?or is is better to detach the cables at the other end? That looks a tricky task releasing the crimps without breaking the housing.Better to cut the cables at the control knob end and silver solder back in? or can the crimp be opened up?
I leave the mirror glass alone. Disassemble the control end and leave the cables attached to the mirror plate. Getting the part that the cables attache to spread open to release the cables is the hard part. Do Not cut the cables! As noted before mark the location of the cables, they are color coded.
Rodney
Thanks Rodney, I'll post with the outcome if it works out, if not I may keep my head down.

propayne

Rodney - where the cables pass thru the chrome bezel, what method do you suggest for spreading the bezel where it pinches the cables holding them in place?

Do you apply some heat? Is there a tool that is good for spreading the metal?

And thanks Jack4159 for starting this informative thread!

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

KR500

Quote from: propayne on December 03, 2020, 09:15:32 AM
Rodney - where the cables pass thru the chrome bezel, what method do you suggest for spreading the bezel where it pinches the cables holding them in place?

Do you apply some heat? Is there a tool that is good for spreading the metal?

And thanks Jack4159 for starting this informative thread!

- Phillip
No heat. I use a gasket scraper and a small thin bladed screwdriver. A small chisel might work also. My finger usually do not escape unscathed.
Rodney

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Jack4159

OK I had some success, took me about an hour.
I opened up the crimps with a small flathead screwdriver and also used a needle file to tidy up rough edges before extracting wire.
Pics attached will maybe help anyone else who wants to have a go.
The crimps furthest away from the adjustment knob are easiest, so start there as it gets easier with every one you do as you get the hang of it.
Once you have the crimps opened up a little at the end closest to the adjustment knob, get underneath the bullet head and ease it up out of it spot, this takes a little effort. Once it's free pull the bullet head towards the adjustment knob, that will take the head away from the crimp and you will be able to lift the wire up through the gap(which only needs to be opened up to the diameter of the wire).
Once free of the crimps you need to pull the wires out through the housings before you will be able to separate the various housing pieces.
Wear a heavy glove on your left hand, the flat blade driver will occasionally slip due to the pressure you have to exert and attack you viciously. This is very exciting and results in involuntary noises being made....followed by pain and a more considered and prolonged x rated outburst.
Hope that helps somebody out there. :) 

Coralsnake

I applaud your efforts. I have broken and destroyed many parts to see how the were assembled.

Keeping track of your time is a good idea. Then you can evaluate what the true cost is and decide if it was worth it.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

427heaven

All I can say is WOW. The time, effort, cash outlay for the ability to say, you have an original mirror is outstanding. Not for everyone, so an A for effort on your part! ;)

KR500

Quote from: Jack4159 on December 04, 2020, 07:47:31 AM
OK I had some success, took me about an hour.
I opened up the crimps with a small flathead screwdriver and also used a needle file to tidy up rough edges before extracting wire.
Pics attached will maybe help anyone else who wants to have a go.
The crimps furthest away from the adjustment knob are easiest, so start there as it gets easier with every one you do as you get the hang of it.
Once you have the crimps opened up a little at the end closest to the adjustment knob, get underneath the bullet head and ease it up out of it spot, this takes a little effort. Once it's free pull the bullet head towards the adjustment knob, that will take the head away from the crimp and you will be able to lift the wire up through the gap(which only needs to be opened up to the diameter of the wire).
Once free of the crimps you need to pull the wires out through the housings before you will be able to separate the various housing pieces.
Wear a heavy glove on your left hand, the flat blade driver will occasionally slip due to the pressure you have to exert and attack you viciously. This is very exciting and results in involuntary noises being made....followed by pain and a more considered and prolonged x rated outburst.
Hope that helps somebody out there. :)
I warned you that it could be painful!
Rodney