Author Topic: '67 K Codes  (Read 13257 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: '67 K Codes
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »
Yes I'm just amazed how rare these cars are.   I remember Vern had a Nightmist 67 K for sale about a year ago.   Absolutely beautiful restoration and pretty sure it had the Competition Suspension.  It would be an interesting registry and have always been fascinated by the 67 K's.  Think they are among the rarest Mustangs ever made?
That is the car I am familiar with. I was surprised a lot during that build because of all of the obscure details that make up one with that option. I think it went out of the country after it sold.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Horsman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 10:25:17 PM »
If I'm reading it correctly "The 289 high Performance Mustang"  by Tony Gregory Fourth Edition - Print 2006 has the following statistics:

73 Known to exist 1967 K Code Mustangs

Purchased a 67 K last year, first Mustang I’ve owned and enjoyed finding out how rare it is. Curious if this number is correct? A registry for these cars would be a great idea.

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 11:24:46 PM »
The '67 K code Mustangs have always had my attention. It's hard to believe there is no registry already underway.

Recently I started gathering Marti ELITE Reports. (The DELUXE reports don't offer enough info for these cars)
It's an attempt to get a breakdown in the numbers past the body styles and transmissions, into the paint and trim.
It's going to be a long time before I can fill in the blanks on such a low production Mustang with only 489 produced.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 01:33:34 AM »
25 of those K-codes were done in wimbledon white at San Jose and sent to Shelby.
10 of them with standard cooling.
This is the one that has survived in Norway.

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 06:50:02 AM »
25 of those K-codes were done in wimbledon white at San Jose and sent to Shelby.
10 of them with standard cooling.
This is the one that has survived in Norway.

Wolfgang

At least one yellow and one blue 67 K-code in Norway.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 07:02:35 AM »
Come to think of it I do know a guy in Wisconsin with two of them.

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 07:12:35 AM »
Is 472 the recognized production figure for '67 K Codes and how many are we thinking still exist.  Thx.

Survivor - OP  :)

Deserves credit for getting this started. 

I've seen more conversation with 67 K's on SAAC Forum than anywhere else. Having a "67 K" in "The Cars" area would be a BIG help for us.  Can this happen on SAAC Forum? 

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 07:20:14 AM »
The '67 K code Mustangs have always had my attention. It's hard to believe there is no registry already underway.

Recently I started gathering Marti ELITE Reports. (The DELUXE reports don't offer enough info for these cars)
It's an attempt to get a breakdown in the numbers past the body styles and transmissions, into the paint and trim.
It's going to be a long time before I can fill in the blanks on such a low production Mustang with only 489 produced.

I have my full Build Sheet - do you have any of those?  I could share that information with you PM me

Shawn

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 08:59:12 AM »

I have my full Build Sheet - do you have any of those?  I could share that information with you PM me.

Shawn

Those build sheets are rare finds themselves. You're very lucky to have one for your '67 K code.
I have only one in my files from a Springtime Yellow fastback, 4-spd, with 2A trim, that was for sale recently.
PM to follow.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 09:19:39 AM »
Looks like less than .01% of the almost 500,000 were 67 K Codes.  Could these be the rarest High Performance engine combo of any Mustang? 

Like any statement depends on how it is phrased. "Any Mustang"  "Any Production Mustang" "Any Mustang built"  "Any Mustang to get into public ownership" ;)

Rarest High Performance engine combo in any Mustang woulds have to include allot of one of's like the Boss 302 1969 Shelby, 71 Boss 302, Many of the Slat Flat racers, some of the experimental cars assembled
Jeff, I like to refer the one car as a registrar once referred it to me: 1969 Shelby vinned Boss 302....But that is a whole other story.  ;D
Rare.. what is rare. I got a 70 Gt350 vert. 57 of them sold. Is that rare? I hear people call the 69 428 Mach1s rare...Pretty liberal the way rare has been thrown around. While not knowing the VIn back in 1978 I was offered a dark green K-code FB for 200 bucks. rusted out SE Mi car. I passed on it. Didn't run. 4 speed. Car was parted and scrapped. So I KNOW of one that didn't make it for sure-just don't know the VIN.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »
We can find rarity in just about any model and year for Mustangs, and not just the '65-'70s.

Marti Reports perpetuate this with his approach to the ELITE report breakdown, getting each car down to 1 or 1 suggesting they are extra special.
He has no consistency in how he gets there. Most cars are defined by body style, then engine, then trans, then paint, then trim, but...
but Marti finds some obscure option to get that down to 1 of 1. An example would be 1 of 1 with a tissue dispenser or with an electric clock.
Technically it might be a 1 of 1, but that's not what really matters to most enthusiasts.

On these '67 K-codes sometimes Marti will note if it's a GT option in the breakdown. (It's always the same number as the paint quantity.)
Why...because as I learned right here on the SAAC forum, all '67 K-codes were mandated to have the GT option.

Yes, rarity is all about perception.

a previous topic on '67 K Codes can be found here.
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2382.msg20527#msg20527

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 12:45:51 PM by Richstang »

gt350shelb

• View Profile
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »
Yes another subset would be the handful of original K code 67 TransAm cars built. Ones sent overseas would be an even smaller subset

Got a hot ride through some New Zealand farm lands and back roads in one many years ago.

Have another friend that passed last year that left a red K code coupe that the family is keeping
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:27:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Horsman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »

I have the Elite report on my 67 K. Would be happy to share the breakdown numbers on mine. Please send me a PM. Thanks!

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2020, 10:39:28 AM »
PM sent. Thanks!