News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fender and Headlight Bucket Hardware

Started by blackjade, December 11, 2020, 11:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackjade

Just purchased a 70 Shelby and need to replace some missing hardware.

Is there a good source for these?

shelbymann1970

Well the headlight bucket hex  sheet metal screw that is missing is your standard fare that is used on various parts of your car. At work so no access to a pic at this time. That bracket should be shimmed as that was the process and the shims taped together with regular masking tape(vanilla color) according to Ed Meyer. It asppears to me your bolt for hood tie down brackets isn't what was on my cars which should be the standard fare 1/4 with a washer bolt probably 7/8s long-or less.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

69 GT350 Vert

I suggest purchasing the AMK Products hardware kits for the headlight buckets, and whatever else you need.  I did, and I think they provided the shims Gary mentioned.  Yellow masking tape is not included in the kit.  Also, don't forget to put a washer behind the bucket on the lower sheet metal bolt that goes through the headlight bucket into the radiator support.  I forgot to add it, and now I don't want to take it all back apart to add it.  The washer behind the bucket acts as a spacer on the bottom bolt and reduces the chances the bucket will crack. 

blackjade

Thanks, I placed the order. Wasn't sure if the AMK products pieces for this application were accurate, I appreciate the guidance.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: blackjade on December 11, 2020, 03:32:01 PM
Thanks, I placed the order. Wasn't sure if the AMK products pieces for this application were accurate, I appreciate the guidance.
I am sure that AMK will have the correct assemblyine type fasteners. All or some in the kit may not have the original markings on them however. As time goes by AMK has run out of many of the assemblyline makers marked fasteners.The replacements may be the correct type of fastener visually just a different maker. I do not know if this applies the headlight bucket kit or not because I have not had a reason to buy that particular kit. Unfortunately many kits have been effect by running out of fasteners with original makers mark.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 11, 2020, 07:54:20 PM
Quote from: blackjade on December 11, 2020, 03:32:01 PM
I am sure that AMK will have the correct assemblyine type fasteners. All or some in the kit may not have the original markings on them however. As time goes by AMK has run out of many of the assemblyline makers marked fasteners. The replacements may be the correct type of fastener visually just a different maker. I do not know if this applies the headlight bucket kit or not because I have not had a reason to buy that particular kit. Unfortunately many kits have been effect by running out of fasteners with original makers mark.
one reason why I spend the time to restore original fasteners, hinges, brake lines etc. Disregard any Chevy parts in the pic below.  :D
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

blackjade

Thanks —- I dmm on the same though no Chevy 'stuff' in my garage.

My first resto had a lot of amk and subsequent restorations had nearly 100% factory hardware.

First early Shelby for me so I am looking forward to the learning process and restoration!

69 GT350 Vert

Have fun with the restoration.  I had to wait years to have my oem headlight buckets and front valance restored.  Hopefully yours aren't cracked.   Here's a photo of my headlight bucket and hardware.

Special Ed

Years ago when amk first started i sent all unique 69 shelby and boss 429 hardware to amk so he could identify it and source it as he had connection to detroit hardware vendors thanks to ( dave riley)  and now that amk  sells mopar and gm hardware he has over 500 hardware companies he can deal with.  Amk gets hardware info from assembly manuals  but specialty cars like b9s and shelbys there are no info in assembly line manuals for the unique hardware so u have to use examples taken off original cars.   Problem is replating original hardware is u have to find non pitted hardware to replate as i have seen restorations using pitted hardware and that looks bad on a fresh concours resto.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on December 12, 2020, 10:23:20 AM
Years ago when amk first started i sent all unique 69 shelby and boss 429 hardware to amk so he could identify it and source it as he had connection to detroit hardware vendors thanks to ( dave riley)  and now that amk  sells mopar and gm hardware he has over 500 hardware companies he can deal with.  Amk gets hardware info from assembly manuals  but specialty cars like b9s and shelbys there are no info in assembly line manuals for the unique hardware so u have to use examples taken off original cars.   Problem is replating original hardware is u have to find non pitted hardware to replate as i have seen restorations using pitted hardware and that looks bad on a fresh concours resto.
I media blast my hardware and the pitted stuff gets put to the side. I agree that there is nothing worse than pitted plated hardware. A few of my brake lines I'm not happy with pitting wise but  decided to plate them anyways. Ed, early on Max didn't have the TALL shock tower cap nuts that came about in 1969 so I grabbed all the ones I could every year from an Indiana vendor who had 55 barrel drums of that old hardware from manufacturers. He would come to Mi ever year for the Ford Lincoln restorers club show and I'd clean him out of the tall nuts(never had a lot but had a lot of "little" quantities of many fasteners). Now I see NPD sells AMK TALL nuts.you can see one of them circled in my pic below in the box. The good thing about pooling parts in with a guy doing Chevy stuff is it is easy to separate which is which. I'll give my friend a pass on restoring hardware for his 70 Chevelle SS as he owns 4 Mustangs including a original paint 69 B9 and a 4K mile 69 B2. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

blackjade

Ed has judged a few of my cars, and held me to the highest standards.

Got the stamp of approval and will do the same with the 500.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: blackjade on December 12, 2020, 07:03:52 PM
Ed has judged a few of my cars, and held me to the highest standards.

Got the stamp of approval and will do the same with the 500.
Here is my hardware. Ed looked at it back in 2003 and said "add the masking tape to the shims" so I assume the hardware that I restored was original to my car. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

Gary the center N bolt clip in your hood pin bracket should look like the other 2  clips as they were installed in the steel part of the headlight bucket area then the hood pin bracket was bolted in but your inner clip is split apart and u slid the hood pin bracket down between the clip.  You should be able to remove hood pin bracket and the 3 clips stay in place on the metal and the hood pin bracket has oblong holes for adjustments and alignment. Also the 4 wood type screws that hold headlight buckets to rad support usually use a big flat washer with them to help support the bottom fiberglass and top metal tabs of the headlight buckets.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on December 27, 2020, 10:05:50 AM
Gary the center N bolt clip in your hood pin bracket should look like the other 2  clips as they were installed in the steel part of the headlight bucket area then the hood pin bracket was bolted in but your inner clip is split apart and u slid the hood pin bracket down between the clip.  You should be able to remove hood pin bracket and the 3 clips stay in place on the metal and the hood pin bracket has oblong holes for adjustments and alignment. Also the 4 wood type screws that hold headlight buckets to rad support usually use a big flat washer with them to help support the bottom fiberglass and top metal tabs of the headlight buckets.
Ed, I believe that is how it is mounted. I'll take a pic with the "N" bolt off and post it when I get a chance. So the 4 sheet metal screws need a washer behind them? I don't recall ever having them originally but will put some on if it is the norm. What plating on the washers? Phos like the SMSs? Thanks as always with your eagle eyes. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990