News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 fuel pump filter canister

Started by shelbydoug, December 05, 2020, 07:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

red printed directly on the painted white part is what I understand to be correct on the originals.  The red printed on clear label is the repro method/version.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 11, 2020, 08:12:14 AM
TY for the link. It doesn't answer the question specifically but the picture of Gaines canister "appears" to be printed on the canister .........................

Originally and for a proper reproduction the printing was applied/printed onto a plated canister than had been painted with a thin coat (didn't hold up well to rough handling) of basic white (not bright white) paint.

There are a number of ways people have reproduced the printing on reproductions.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on December 11, 2020, 03:30:01 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on December 11, 2020, 08:12:14 AM
TY for the link. It doesn't answer the question specifically but the picture of Gaines canister "appears" to be printed on the canister .........................

Originally and for a proper reproduction the printing was applied/printed onto a plated canister than had been painted with a thin coat (didn't hold up well to rough handling) of basic white (not bright white) paint.

There are a number of ways people have reproduced the printing on reproductions.

So what was that counterfeit label that you were printing up? Trying to be an alchemist again?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 12, 2020, 10:25:26 AM
So what was that counterfeit label that you were printing up? Trying to be an alchemist again?  ;D

While working on getting some reproduced correctly (printed on the canister) I took the time to test the design by making some decals here at home and applying them to reproduction canisters to see how correct looking the final product would. Unlike the reproduction decals we cut these differently then cleared over them to further cover any edge and a few owners got access to them for evaluation/proof of concept.  Bob G was nice enough to provide me with a decent original to make the design from which turned out pretty nice, as tested against the original, as seen in the link where the new was placed over and along side the original to check the details.

In my free time I do small special projects for different restoration shops as well as owner/builders of newly discovered found items that fit my abilities, needs or interest 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

I have a rebuilt pump from a Ford rebuilder. It came with a paper label. It's the same label except it says Motorcraft and has an adhesive backing, but not installed on the pump.

The canister was cad plated. It is the hex pattern cup, not the fluted one.

I painted it with Rustoleum satin white with the inclusive primer.

It works for me but the AUTOLITE label would be a nice touch. It could probaly fool a lot of people. Not Gaines, but a lot of others would be scratching their heads.

Probably if it was printed on shipping label paper, that would work fine.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!