News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 GT350 owner's manual

Started by kingieee, December 12, 2020, 02:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingieee

I recently purchases a lot of vintage automotive books / magazines / racing programs.
Included was a G.T.350 Owner's Manual 1966
My research has shown that there are MANY reprints out in the market.
I also read that there were 1st printing & 2nd printings.
Does anyone know if there are certain tells between the real editions so I can determine what I have.
Thanks so much for reading all the way through.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kingieee on December 12, 2020, 02:26:10 PM
I recently purchases a lot of vintage automotive books / magazines / racing programs.
Included was a G.T.350 Owner's Manual 1966
My research has shown that there are MANY reprints out in the market.
I also read that there were 1st printing & 2nd printings.
Does anyone know if there are certain tells between the real editions so I can determine what I have.
Thanks so much for reading all the way through.
Post a picture of the front cover please.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Plus, please post an image of center pages with cutaway/transparent of car.

Best regards

Cory

kingieee

Good Morning

I have done some more research since I posted my question and have found out that this is NOT a 1st edition.

I can see the shadow from the hole punch.

What I now wonder about is why this manual has printed on blue stock instead of white like the original.

At this point I assume that this must have been a bootleg copy.

Thanks, hope I have done it correctly so you can see my 2 attachments

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kingieee on December 13, 2020, 10:04:26 AM
Good Morning

I have done some more research since I posted my question and have found out that this is NOT a 1st edition.

I can see the shadow from the hole punch.

What I now wonder about is why this manual has printed on blue stock instead of white like the original.

At this point I assume that this must have been a bootleg copy.

Thanks, hope I have done it correctly so you can see my 2 attachments
The front and backside of the front cover largely confirms it is a legitimate factory manual made after the first two printings . There is a BW manual that was made also.They are most likely meant as a replacements by a dealer when a owners manual supplement was forgotten at SA to be included or got lost after the fact for what ever reason. There are similar examples of theses same type odd color cover replacement manuals for 67,68 ,69 and 70.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Yes if someone was going to bootleg a manual it is only logical that they would make it look like the typical version cover so as not to give away that it is different. After all that is the point of bootleg.

kingieee

Thank you so much for all of your information.

Now I have couple of other questions,

What would you think it is worth

and

Is it proper etiquette to sell it on this forum or should it be sold on ebay?

Thanks again, you have been so helpful.

J_Speegle

Quote from: kingieee on December 13, 2020, 12:01:24 PM
Is it proper etiquette to sell it on this forum or should it be sold on ebay?

Thanks again, you have been so helpful.

It would be great if it got offered to the members here first - sure whom ever needs one will be interested - before it is offered elsewhere. There is a a section for ads to be posted here on this site. Best fit might be the Misc for sale section for printed materials

Good luck with finding a new home for it
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Cjc6566

I thought I had an understanding of the topic but now I am seconding guessing after reading the links and looking at the pictures.

If I understand it correct (short version)- 1st printing has "optional" in normal type and same for  "one inch", no hole punch shadows, see pictures of what I have....but my front cover looks very bright and more like the picture posted by Dave as reproduction. So does that mean there are reproductions that have the internal pages similar to 1st printing but the outside cover would determine it as a reproduction?

Thanks
Cory James
owner of 1604 Hertz / Portland Oregon

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Cjc6566 on December 14, 2020, 01:11:48 PM
I thought I had an understanding of the topic but now I am seconding guessing after reading the links and looking at the pictures.

If I understand it correct (short version)- 1st printing has "optional" in normal type and same for  "one inch", no hole punch shadows, see pictures of what I have....but my front cover looks very bright and more like the picture posted by Dave as reproduction. So does that mean there are reproductions that have the internal pages similar to 1st printing but the outside cover would determine it as a reproduction?

Thanks
Cory James
Cory ,the subject of this topic is if the first posted pictured manual is original or reproduction . It has been determined that one is a different variety of legitimate made for Shelby American 66 manuals .The subject manual has the second printing insides and a different outside cover. 

gt350hr

IIRC,
     Valley Ford Parts, ( Bill Norton) used to sell those blue cover versions . I have never seen one in any of the cars I have looked at over the last 54 years. Mine in 6S477 is a first version with "no holes". It also does not have "NO WARRANTY" on the inside.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on December 14, 2020, 05:53:20 PM
   IIRC,
     Valley Ford Parts, ( Bill Norton) used to sell those blue cover versions . I have never seen one in any of the cars I have looked at over the last 54 years. Mine in 6S477 is a first version with "no holes". It also does not have "NO WARRANTY" on the inside.
Not 54 years but I have seen a few of the replacement 66 manuals with cars over the 50 years since I started my Shelby journey. I have also seen the other year varieties of replacement manuals like I pictured with cars some with owners name and vin as was many times done by dealers.  I am sure that you are aware that Valley Ford bought out a lot of Shelby extra old stock that they peddled for years. I am sure that the blue cover 66 replacement manuals is what Valley Ford was selling. They may not have fully understood what they were. Here are some examples of other year replacement owners manuals . You can see that the blue cover on the 66 manual was not a one hit wonder but a example of something that was done in other years over the course of Shelby production. I recently added a black and white printed version not shown in the picture of the 66 manuals and a yellow cover colored version to the 67 versions.

kingieee

Thank you so much for all of the information you have provided.
You guys know so much about all of the shelby stuff.
I am going to post this for sale on this site. I'll try to list it this weekend.
I'm more interested in it going to a good home than making money on it, since I think I overpaid.

Thanks to all for your help.

gt350hr

Agreed Bob . That is why I carefully worded my post. I had many "private" dealings with Bill . I know how and where he got the blue cover manuals from. They were strictly replacements as you mentioned/know. They were not put in "new" cars .
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.