News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Before seat belts and roll bars in racing

Started by Harris Speedster, December 14, 2020, 09:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddster

Car possibility: The Dymaxion, designer Buckminster Fuller (?)

Harris Speedster

Quote from: roddster on December 17, 2020, 10:44:44 AM
  Car possibility: The Dymaxion, designer Buckminster Fuller (?)

Roddster,
That sounds correct .
I think it was powered by the newly introduced ford flathead engine.
The driver which was killed,was a known race car driver .

Never have fully researched, but from what I have seen in archival pictures:
RAY BROWN belts appear to have begun in WW !!,
They were OD military green, 1965 shelby buckles are even alike. Used in fighter planes.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

98SVT - was 06GT

My dad raced midgets in the 30s. He quit when his friend was killed. He rolled and was thrown out. He was on his knees getting up when another car hit him.
Most 66 cars had lap belts. In 1967 they were required. In 1968 the shoulder belt was required. If you look at the using seat belt laws they cover 68 and newer because you can't see if someone is wearing a lap belt.
I remember adding seat belts to our cars in the 60s. I think the kits were $2-3 per seat from Pep Boys.
I still have 2 sets of black NOS FoMoCo cloth to metal add on belts. They'd be perfect for a pre 66 car.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Harris Speedster

98SVT - was 06GT

Horrible ending for the driver.
Now that you mention the 66 belts>>> and I think back, didn't the 66 belts have chrome recoil spring spools that wound
them up when not in use ?
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7