Author Topic: Radiator replacement  (Read 1233 times)

traxman

• SFM 6S779
    • View Profile
Radiator replacement
« on: December 18, 2020, 04:36:37 AM »
I am sorry to bother you again, but I have a little question on the 66' GT350 radiator.

#779 is equipped with an aftermarket replacement (but the good thing, is that the high performance unique metal shroud is attached).

Since we are doing a consequent work in the engine compartment, I plan to change this old, non-OEM, radiator for a new one.
Of course, a correct dated radiator would have been the best option. However it seems that finding a good specimen (at a correct price...) is as optimistic as finding the Holy Grail.

I wanted to know which radiator/solution you would recommend, in order to have something efficient and which would ressemble the most to the OEM ones.

Thank you again for your help

Anthony

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Radiator replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 04:42:52 AM »
Hi Anthony,

Are you working with a standard (4 speed) or automatic transmission?  What date code are you looking to find, September/October 1965?  Patients is need to find the right OEM radiator.  You might get lucky when swap meets start up again.  A C4ZE-Y2  or C4ZE-Z2 rad might be a nice substitute from the higher dollar C4ZE-G2/M2's to keep the price down and still have a W-MO radiator.  Then rebuild them with a three core.  This should keep the cost down and have excellent cooling with an OEM look.

Cory

P.S.  The metal shroud you mention was originally designed for AC cars and was then used on the 289 Special K-code equipped cars for better cooling.  It is not a uniquely designed HiPo part.  Does it still have the rubber pad next to battery tray?  That would suggest original and not the more common service part without pad.  Good deal.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 04:56:13 AM by 6s1640 »

traxman

• SFM 6S779
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 05:32:57 AM »
Hi Cory

My transmission is the standard full-aluminium T10-M.

I have no idea for the code. I only know that the car was produced in December 1965 at San Jose plant then completed at Shelby plants before being shipped on January 29, 1966.
So probably between September and November should be okay.
The problem is that I am living overseas... (France), so it is much more difficult to find some parts...

I will check tomorrow for the metal shroud ;)

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 12:18:16 PM »
I put a 3 row radiator on 6S550. Bought it from Virginia Classic Mustang. Looks similar to the original, but of course is thicker. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.