Author Topic: 69 GT350 window mechanism bolt colors  (Read 1884 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69 GT350 window mechanism bolt colors
« on: December 17, 2020, 11:55:31 PM »
Are the bolts that are visible on the under side and jamb side of the doors that attach the roll up window mechanism painted? Are they body color and if so were the door windows installed before paint? My car was repainted with a crappy paint job when I got it so I can’t tell.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 69 GT350 window mechanism bolt colors
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 07:25:42 PM »
Are the bolts that are visible on the under side and jamb side of the doors that attach the roll up window mechanism painted? Are they body color and if so were the door windows installed before paint? My car was repainted with a crappy paint job when I got it so I can’t tell.
You can many times see a witness line where the plates were painted up on the cowl when the car was going done the paint line.Bolts not painted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:12:28 PM »
I think he means the 2 bolts bottom of door that hold the 2 rods that guide the window and they are goldish.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 09:13:41 PM »
+1 on them being installed after the car was painted - Both for the stop (in the door jamb) and for the guides on the bottom of the door.

The ones at the bottom of the door are sort of special in that their heads were thin (not as tall) when compared to other bolts used on the door.

Each had a washer either steel or rubber. Not sure why there were two version just reporting that their were and it does not appear to be a production period thing at this point but would have to look at more examples to determine that for sure. Have more examples than what I'm posting

Thin counter sunk head zinc dichromate bolt and rubber washer

Thin counter sunk head bolt with steel washer

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:16:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 09:33:13 PM »
Thanks guys,
Exactly what I needed! Bottom bolts and door jamb bolts and plates.
Thank you very much!

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 05:20:25 AM »
A pet peeve of mine are the jamb window stop bolts painted over on a re-paint or the cover plates not painted body color(they were not in 70 but we are talking Shelbys). I've re-plated those bottom bolts before and like the experts said they are "gold". Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 06:51:34 PM »
I to am repainting a 70 GT500 conv.  Are you guys saying these bolts were gold regardless of the body color?  Was this an anodized gold? Can I assume the fender bolts were also this gold color

Thanks so much
Rick

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 07:13:35 PM »
I to am repainting a 70 GT500 conv.  Are you guys saying these bolts were gold regardless of the body color?  Was this an anodized gold?

Not anodized - that is a process for other types of metal. Instead this is/was zinc dichromate. A goldish dye over a zinc base coat/plating.

.................Can I assume the fender bolts were also this gold color

No and not sure why one would assume the finish on one bolt related to the finish on another (different type and usage) bolt. For those you'll want cad playing or some will use a dull zinc to reproduce the look
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:17:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge