Author Topic: archived and detailed original ford gt design renderings ?  (Read 4282 times)

honker

• View Profile
Re: archived and detailed original ford gt design renderings ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 01:52:17 PM »
Thanks for the link, quite a few of those drawings are in the Cobra & GT40 registry, 4th edition 2008. The letters I've not seen

before, interesting read.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:16:34 PM by honker »

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »
Honker,
Please put the letters and text in the archives for future use and read.

I constantly find bits of info re; shelby, gt 40's , superchargers etc, while researching Ben and the Speedster.
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

430dragpack

• View Profile

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »
Harris Speedster, once more thanks for the link I'm not sure how to go about saving all that and putting the letters and text in the

archives for future reference, It'll have to be some one with better computer skills, and who knows their way around the forum !

430dragpack, thanks for your link to the Shelby Life magazine and the piece on Don Eichstaedt's memories from KarKraft, and also

the link to the booklet on the GT and Sports Car Project, very cool, not seen that before  8)

Mike
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 09:05:12 PM by honker »

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 09:29:41 PM »
A bit off topic, but there was a link in one of the others above to the demolition of the Ford product development Centre, I know

like the article says, these iconic buildings don't fit the bill anymore, but there is a lot of history there. I have not seen the Ford

buildings, but have visited and toured the G.M Tech Centre, what an amazing structure ! will it also see the wreckers ball ?

Here's the link   https://fordauthority.com/2020/12/ford-product-development-center-demolished-to-make-room-for-new-campus/

Mike

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 12:02:00 AM »
I believe the SAAC Registry has GT related drawings similar to these in it.

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Don Eichstaedt? Name rings a bell...
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 11:46:14 PM »
Just to show how e all miss great opportunities. When i was in college while living  in Berkley, Michigan, I had  a neighbor about 500 ft, away who had a Ford GT40, a real one. I heard he bought it from wherever he worked, maybe over from some development. Maybe he had two of them.But at the time I wasn't that clued in in GT40s and didn't ever walk over to talk to him. Then I heard he sold them and got one or two Panteras instead. At the time it made sense, the GT40s were hot inside, no a/c, and you couldn't roll down the windows.  Panteras had A/C.
Now half  a century a later I hit myself with a hammer knowing what I missed...would, coulda, shoulda...

That man was Don Eichstaedt.....

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 07:46:04 AM »
History buff,
Quite a few years ago I had a friend, that wrote, in part, the GT 40 book with Ronnie, that told me of a GT 40 that got wrecked and buried?
Think it was in Illinois or Missouri?
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 08:06:35 AM »
The buried GT40? Heard of a couple. One was the X1 targa that won sebring. a crewman told me it was ordered buried because it was falling apart. And yet I went to Monterey and there it was, though I think the red targa there was a re-creation.
Also I think Salt Walther's family had two of them and buried one.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 08:28:12 AM »
Here are a couple pics; on display and getting ready to go out on the track. This was at Laguna Seca a couple years ago.

Cheers,
~Earl J

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 03:16:54 PM »
The buried GT40? Heard of a couple. One was the X1 targa that won sebring. a crewman told me it was ordered buried because it was falling apart. And yet I went to Monterey and there it was, though I think the red targa there was a re-creation.
I know the person who personally took one of the King Cobras to a landfill in the San Fernando Valley. Purchased from SA drivetrain removed useless cracked  chassis trashed. Today to quote a famous film line "they're back"
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 03:18:33 PM »
We are having thread drift here from the ops query. but here's some info from the Ronnie Spain GT40 book, my copy 1992, 2nd.

printing. Is a new printing going to appear some time ?

Maybe the car in Earl J's photos from Monterey  is the one mentioned in the last five lines in the scan from Spain's book below.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 03:22:49 PM by honker »

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 03:32:27 PM »
Here's some shots of Miles-Ruby GT/110 at Sebring in '66.

Mike

(photos: source unknown)

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 03:48:03 PM »
I know the person who personally took one of the King Cobras to a landfill in the San Fernando Valley. Purchased from SA drivetrain removed useless cracked  chassis trashed. Today to quote a famous film line "they're back"

I wonder which car that was that went to the land fill ? Holbert's crash '64 at Kent, or P.J. Jones crash and fire at Riverside '64 ?