News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 500 c6 transmission crossmember/dipstick tube/neutral safety switch/

Started by V8Dave, December 19, 2020, 03:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8Dave

Hello everyone.
I am currently looking for a 1967 c6 transmission crossmember/transmission dipstick tube/shifter lever and neutral safety switch however before i start and purchase anything i always try to do some home work and learn for myself if there is any differences between these parts and what they are, as they are listed as used over other years as well, however i have not had much luck so figured id ask for some advice and help.
So my first question, is there a difference between 67-69 c6 transmission crossmemebers and transmission dipstick tubes and if so what are the differences so i can make sure i purchase the correct one? I believe all i have found out as regards dipstick tubes is the paint colour on the dipstick tube is different if thats correct between the years?
The next questions is, i have found a company that reproduces the 67 c6 transmission shifter rod part number c7za-7326-a has anybody seen these reproductions and do they fit and function as good as the originals and again is there any differences between originals where 67 is different say to a 68 that i should be aware of and would you recommend originals or are the reproductions good as regards fit and function.
The last question is regards to neutral safety switches what is best and what would you recommend for replacement nos or are the reproduction aftermarket ones advertised with the improved internal mechanism good and reliable as regards fit and function.
Any help that anyone can offer would be much appreciated so i can start and track down the correct parts i need.
Many thanks everyone stay safe.
Dave

Royce Peterson

The reproduction neutral safety / backup lamp switches are bad news. The connector resembles the 1969 version. It is noticeably different from the assembly line connector used on the 1967 version. Function of the reproductions is poor. We recently got two of them, neither of which worked well enough to operate the starter reliably.

The NOS part is well worth the slightly higher price.

Quote from: V8Dave on December 19, 2020, 03:51:15 PM
Hello everyone.
I am currently looking for a 1967 c6 transmission crossmember/transmission dipstick tube/shifter lever and neutral safety switch however before i start and purchase anything i always try to do some home work and learn for myself if there is any differences between these parts and what they are, as they are listed as used over other years as well, however i have not had much luck so figured id ask for some advice and help.
So my first question, is there a difference between 67-69 c6 transmission crossmemebers and transmission dipstick tubes and if so what are the differences so i can make sure i purchase the correct one? I believe all i have found out as regards dipstick tubes is the paint colour on the dipstick tube is different if thats correct between the years?
The next questions is, i have found a company that reproduces the 67 c6 transmission shifter rod part number c7za-7326-a has anybody seen these reproductions and do they fit and function as good as the originals and again is there any differences between originals where 67 is different say to a 68 that i should be aware of and would you recommend originals or are the reproductions good as regards fit and function.
The last question is regards to neutral safety switches what is best and what would you recommend for replacement nos or are the reproduction aftermarket ones advertised with the improved internal mechanism good and reliable as regards fit and function.
Any help that anyone can offer would be much appreciated so i can start and track down the correct parts i need.
Many thanks everyone stay safe.
Dave
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

V8Dave

Hello Royce
Thank you for your information,advice and imput as regards to the neutral safety switch. Thats why i think this website and forum is fantastic, the information advice and imput from all the members is brilliant and so valuable, so again thank you.
Now to just to find out some more information as regards the other items i need and then the search shall begin.
Thanks again royce and anyone else that can help.
Stay safe.
Dave

Royce Peterson

Regarding the shifter rod - 1967 and 1968 are identical. Both have the C7ZA number on the side. I would try to get an original. Most of the reproduction stuff I encounter is defective in some way. I have not used one of the repro shift rods so don't think that I am speaking about them specifically.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

V8Dave

Thanks again Royce for the information.
I always try to find original parts however i know sometimes some reproductions parts are good however thats why i always appreciate the advice from the members and people on this forum.
I know awhile back Mr Bob Gaines was kind enough to give me a lead on a 67 transmission lever however it was just when covid was kicking off i believe, and by the time i contacted the company they had sold the part. So now im back to hopefully getting on with the project in the new year, i thought i would try and do some homework incase there was a difference between 67-68 shifter rods some places also list it as fitting 69 and i just wasnt sure. Same again regarding the transmission dipstick tube and crossmember ill be needing also, just wasnt sure if there was a one year only difference with the 67 as i know its a complicated year at best.
Thanks again for your help and advice.
Dave