Author Topic: Finding a Car?  (Read 5653 times)

Finding a Car?
« on: December 22, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »
Hi!

I wonder if any of you can send me in the right direction with this and please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong forum or breaking etiquette.

When I was 17 years old, my father bought me a 1967 Shelby Fastback to restore for me.  Before he was able to finish restoring the car, he had a heart attack and died.  This was March 1984.  A couple of months later, my mother sold the car.  This was in Lynchburg Virginia.

I'm pretty sure it went to a collector because three or four people got in a bidding war for it.

I would love to find this car if any way possible.

I would be so grateful for any information or help.

My mother did not save any paperwork so I have no idea of the VIN.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Finding a Car?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 01:59:10 PM »
“I once had a car” is not a good clue Fred

Colors, engine, condition, options, transmission might get you a little closer.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 02:03:30 PM »
^^ or a photo if you have any.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 02:27:30 PM »
“I once had a car” is not a good clue Fred

Colors, engine, condition, options, transmission might get you a little closer.

It was white, a fastback, manual transmission, four speed I think.  I was one of those long stick shifts.

The car ran great and I drove it but the gas tank needle was broken.  No damage to the body at all.

It was very loud.

I don't remember what kind of engine.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 02:28:38 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos.  We didn't have the car very long, not quite a year.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 02:38:23 PM »
 Black interior?

Air conditioning?

Where did the car come from?

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos.  We didn't have the car very long, not quite a year.

There were 526 white '67 Shelby GT's...371 with manual transmissions
(125 GT350's with a manual transmission, 246 GT500s with a manual transmission)

We're definitely going to need more info.
(If it had a parchment interior, that would help reduce the number quite a bit.)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 02:56:02 PM »
Black interior?

Air conditioning?

Where did the car come from?

Black interior.  I don't remember if it had AC or not.  If it did, I never used it.

The interior was black.

I'm so sorry, I'm trying to jog my memory.

I'm pretty sure it did not have the stripes down the front. 

I think the car may have come from South Boston, Virginia or Roanoke Virginia.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »
Although not a guarantee of what the car was - but do either of these engine images (air cleaner units)  look like what you remember?

Chrome round or aluminum oval...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »
I'm originally from Lynchburg but don't remember the car. Bet you went cruising on Wards Road? You'll probably chase a bunch of dead ends but may ultimately find it.

Here's one clue...
There was a guy in Roanoke, on Williamson Road, that dealt in Shelby's and other performance Fords and had quite a few in the late 70's. In this photo is a white 67. This was probably 1977-78. Sorry but its a scan of an old photo. I'll have to check but I might have a better photo buried somewhere.

I have some friends from the era and will check with them. If you want you can send me a PM with your name and I will ask around. People might remember you or your family but maybe not the car. Every clue helps.

There also are several Mustang Clubs in the area. You might try communicating with them.

Ted S.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 03:47:03 PM »
Although not a guarantee of what the car was - but do either of these engine images (air cleaner units)  look like what you remember?

Chrome round or aluminum oval...

I don't think it was the oval.  I'm pretty sure I would have remembered that.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 03:50:29 PM »
Another thing to try and remember, were the headlights in the upper Grille in the middle or at the outsides/

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 03:51:11 PM »
I'm originally from Lynchburg but don't remember the car. Bet you went cruising on Wards Road? You'll probably chase a bunch of dead ends but may ultimately find it.

Here's one clue...
There was a guy in Roanoke, on Williamson Road, that dealt in Shelby's and other performance Fords and had quite a few in the late 70's. In this photo is a white 67. This was probably 1977-78. Sorry but its a scan of an old photo. I'll have to check but I might have a better photo buried somewhere.

I have some friends from the era and will check with them. If you want you can send me a PM with your name and I will ask around. People might remember you or your family but maybe not the car. Every clue helps.

There also are several Mustang Clubs in the area. You might try communicating with them.

Ted S.

DM sent.

I really appreciate all of the help. 

I am so grateful to you all.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
You have passed our test

Getting information requires sharing information

👌

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 04:30:08 PM »
Another thing to try and remember, were the headlights in the upper Grille in the middle or at the outsides/

I don't remember!  The first photo I think!

I remember thinking the car was fatter than the regular 67 mustang fastback.