Author Topic: 1968 reproduction rear bumper- Junk  (Read 7294 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
1968 reproduction rear bumper- Junk
« on: December 27, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
the rear bumper on my car needs a re chrome BUT has a college parking sticker from 1968-69 still on it and in good shape i got the car from the original owner. So I thought id get a reproduction till I decide what to do. Keep the old with the sticker on it, re chrome and do without the sticker, try to remove the sticker.

Anyway after some on line research i went with the CJ's rear bumper. Other than it being 1/8 inch too wide and the braces having a 1/4 gap due to the angle, the square bolt holes being misaligned and the replacement bolts 1/8 inch larger head diameter, they were perfect!

Anything out there of excellent quality that you guys have installed? thanks

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 reproduction rear bumper- Junk
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
the rear bumper on my car needs a re chrome BUT has a college parking sticker from 1968-69 still on it and in good shape i got the car from the original owner. So I thought id get a reproduction till I decide what to do. Keep the old with the sticker on it, re chrome and do without the sticker, try to remove the sticker.

Anyway after some on line research i went with the CJ's rear bumper. Other than it being 1/8 inch too wide and the braces having a 1/4 gap due to the angle, the square bolt holes being misaligned and the replacement bolts 1/8 inch larger head diameter, they were perfect!

Doesn't that just drive you crazy?  There are so many things that have been reposed for early Mustang and Shelby's that are just plain junk.  Would it really have been so much more money to get it right the first time?  I can think of dashes, quarter panels, bumpers, and window gaskets just for a start that no one really makes an accurate reproduction of.  Sad.   :'(
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 01:26:52 PM »
who is giving all the positive feedback on these products? I read 8-10 very positive comments. Must be false...

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 02:29:19 PM »
who is giving all the positive feedback on these products? I read 8-10 very positive comments. Must be false...
There are companies that place bogus + feedback on behalf of companies who pay them to offset and bury negative feedback. I wouldn't be surprise to know that same thing isn't applied to some of these poorer repro reviews.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 04:39:41 PM »
A side note but on topic, go find a good graphics shop and have them reproduce the college sticker to add to your re-chromed bumper.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 05:20:40 PM »
Good idea on the graphics shop.

Maybe you could somehow bake the new sticker on a cookie sheet in the oven until it gets "patina" cracks.** 
 Not over 451F however.    ;D ;D

**I've never tried it, and my wife doesn't let me near the oven, so use your own judgment.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 07:30:31 AM »
thanks... Nobody has a quality reproduction source?

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 09:52:09 AM »

Doesn't that just drive you crazy?  There are so many things that have been reposed for early Mustang and Shelby's that are just plain junk.  Would it really have been so much more money to get it right the first time?  I can think of dashes, quarter panels, bumpers, and window gaskets just for a start that no one really makes an accurate reproduction of.  Sad.   :'(
When it comes to sheet metal parts making a set of dies to stamp out parts are not cost effective for a limited run(even using China). There are factors in sheet metal stamping where unless the original dies were saved and kept in good shape it would be difficult without spending well into the 6 figures for a set of dies to stamp out a part consistent with the factory sheet metal.While technology has vastly improved the cost to make dies it is still costly for limited runs and those making the parts are in business to make $$$ off their investments.  Most repo stamped metal to me are done using short cuts and it appears "manual labor" for some processes and why parts vary. Why other parts that would use molds are not made correctly are a mystery to me. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »
LOL, the same thing happened to me. I had a 66, I ordered a rear bumper from CJPP. Bumper bolts would not work, they were off over 1/4 inch! I thought the car had rear damage, which it did not, (it was a beautiful California car that sat from 1975 until 2014). This is where it get good. I called CJPP and told them about it. They wanted pictures???!!!!?!?!?! Ever try to get pictures of chrome? Anyway, I got my tape measure out and proved with the pictures that it was not properly manufactured. I got the typical like that CJPP uses. "We have not had any other costumer complaints about this." OK well pictures do not lie. So after complaining more, they said OK we will replace it, I said, are you selling a different brand? They said, "No" it will be the same one we sent you. I thought, Hmmmm so what if its the same? I decided to say, "OK please send me another one." They then told me, "Just return it to us and we will ship out another one." I then asked about a "call tag" they said, I was responsible for shipping, I priced shipping and it was about 40 bucks, I called them and told them that and they said, sorry you have to pay for shipping, I said I have to pay for a defective bumper's return? It was a big fat YES. I decided to just order another one......and when I got it, guess what....it was a big fat NO GO, NO FIT. SO I called my credit card and reversed the charges for both bumpers. That was the LAST time I ever dealt with CJPP.

To end this story, I ordered a bumper form a company called "Dorman"??? I think, and it fit like a glove and looked great....BUT I still dont recommend any repro, because you just do not know what you will get.

On to my Boss 302's rear bumper, fits like (you know what), I have been looking for an original Ford bumper for years now, the re-poop is still on my restored beautiful car. That sucks!

Sorry for the rant, but it is just unreal.
RARE  Signature Delete

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 12:43:43 PM »
The rear bumper on my car is an NOS Ford one from 1977. I took it out of the wrapper myself. It fit like a glove and it's a thing of beauty! Lines in the Chrome at all! My front bumper is a repro. I put it on in 2008 so I don't remember the brand but it did fit well and the chrome WAS excellent. My car sits in the garage most of the time but in the last 2 year's I've noticed the chrome on the front bumper getting cloudy. So not only do some of the bumpers not fit well. The chrome doesn't last like on original bumpers. I'm always looking for a really nice nos Ford 67/68 front bumper for a concourse car.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:48:40 PM by 68stangcjfb »
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 01:35:20 PM »
I guess I am not shocked a cheap, off shore bumper does not fit.

I am also not shocked some selling that item would lie and say they never had issues before or wouldn't stand behind it

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 06:05:44 PM »

I am also not shocked some selling that item would lie and say they never had issues before or wouldn't stand behind it

Don't be, believe me....I would not make that up. It was crazy. I bought it from them on ebay and it was too long for ebay to do anything about it and believe it or not I left them bad feedback and they blocked me from buying from them on ebay, but I was able to still buy from them if I wanted to on the website. I will not buy anything from them. I did give them a poor rating on Google....but I think that never went anywhere....
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »

I remember doing my 68 Shelby back in 2007-9 and not being able to find the DS inner door handle(bought the car in pieces). I bought a Scott Drake and it was clocked wrong on the spline. I believe when I mentioned it on another forum Tim Lea mentioned that is why NOS ones are so expensive. It seemed the Mustang world knew about that for a long time. When I called Scott Drake an employee told me that was the first they have heard of that.  ??? . That it would take months for them to correct it.  I "finessed" the inner door so the handle fit correctly. Seems that is the standard action-they were surprised and nobody else has ever mentioned it. I bet they are still clocked wrong. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
As of 2012, those driver side inner handles we're still clocked wrong. Luckily I finally found an NOS one.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »
The rear bumper on my car is an NOS Ford one from 1977. I took it out of the wrapper myself. It fit like a glove and it's a thing of beauty! Lines in the Chrome at all! My front bumper is a repro. I put it on in 2008 so I don't remember the brand but it did fit well and the chrome WAS excellent. My car sits in the garage most of the time but in the last 2 year's I've noticed the chrome on the front bumper getting cloudy. So not only do some of the bumpers not fit well. The chrome doesn't last like on original bumpers. I'm always looking for a really nice nos Ford 67/68 front bumper for a concourse car.
Back in the early 80s I bought a couple of bumpers for a resto of a 69 from Ford(I got a 20 percent discount at the dealership thanks to my Father-in-law being a Ford employee). The trim condition was horrible compared to my originals and of course the chrome was average at best. Being in the field of stamping off and on as a Die Maker for decades I knew even as a "fresh Die Maker" that who ever fixed the trim die didn't give a crap about doing it right-service parts. Jagged edges from bad trim steels or improperly fit trim steels. I paid twice the price of new bumpers back then to have my originals done at a chrome shop. I caution anyone buying "NOS" bumpers  and look at the date codes if they are there on the shipping wrappers-kinda like buying 67-68 rocker moldings. 69 stamped pieces are different than 2001 stamped pieces. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990