Author Topic: Shelby 10 spoke wheels balancing weights knocked off again - question  (Read 3408 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby 10 spoke wheels balancing weights knocked off again - question
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 07:23:06 PM »
Over the last 40 years I've had three complete sets of 10 spokes. Originals.

All were purchased used by me. The first set is a legitimate 67 set with no cast in spacers.

It's been a long time since I bought those but I'm very sure that they had indications on the edge of the rims of having clip on weights on them. Jeff, WTF?

I can tell you that IF you are using either the 67, no-spacer wheel or the 68 type with the cast in spacer, you do not have enough room to use tape on weights on the inside of the wheel in the vicinity of the brake caliper.

Besides the fact that you should be grinding off the witness line (in the casting) of the caliper for clearance, the weights should go between the spokes of the wheel. Nowhere else.

I know that is seemingly against the laws of the Universe but hey, those wheels are genuine Shelby items, not Ford and in case you didn't know it by now, Shelby marched to the beat of his own drum. So that's the way it is. Love 'em or leave 'um.  ::)
I thought I would remind that this is a 66 Shelby category thread and consequently the default would be talking about 66 14 inch tenspoke wheels.

Good point. Now they know about 15 inchers. You gotta' find the info when you can get it I suppose? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »
Y9ou could always try Dyna Beads and skip the weights.  Go to http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »
Caliper not in the photo but easy to tell there is tons of room, gotta be the adhesive...
Dave - 6S1757