Author Topic: Shelby 10 spoke wheels balancing weights knocked off again - question  (Read 3410 times)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
Hi all,

so the calipers knocked off the stick on weights again, this is the second time using the thinnest weights. Has anyone had success with wheel weights on 10 spoke Shelby wheels, if so can you post a photo of the weights you used..

Thanks
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Shelby 10 spoke wheels balancing weights knocked off again - question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 03:52:42 AM »
Hi 427Hunter,

I have had no issues.  I will see if I can get you a picture tomorrow.

Cory

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 06:55:31 AM »

If clearance isn't an issue it could simply be poor adhesive on the weights themselves. I've had the weights separate from the adhesive backing before, but I use Helicopter (Erosion) tape over my weights on street/race cars to prevent loosing weights.

https://www.findtape.com/ISC-Helicopter-OG-HD-Heavy-Duty-Outdoor-Grade-Surface-Guard-Tape/p570/?vid=6042&bc=F&c=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6q7y-Mrw7QIVA52GCh1BrgIqEAQYAiABEgKU3fD_BwE

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 08:07:05 AM »
Suggest you jack up the front end and spin the wheels in order to ascertain if clearance is an issue and that the calipers are, in fact, hitting the weights.  I would think, as stated above, it's just the adhesive.  On my track car, after having the stick-on weights applied, I cut aluminum foil adhesive tape (used by the HVAC industry for ducts) and place it over the weights with sufficient amount around the edges to keep water and dirt out.  I've never lost a weight.
5S071, 6S1467

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 08:17:43 AM »
also, clean the area that is getting the weight with brake cleaner...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 11:12:46 AM »
Had no problems either.  Not taking any extra precautions.  Will get a picture tomorrow.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »
Have never had an issue with a tape weight coming off my 10 spokes in the almost 35 years I've owned it.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas! I will try the tape idea, I always know when the weights are gone because I get a front end wobble at around 50mph.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 12:35:30 AM »
Had no problems either.  Not taking any extra precautions.  Will get a picture tomorrow.

Sorry, could not get a picture.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 01:09:44 AM »

Sorry, could not get a picture.

Greek

NP, thanks anyway..

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 02:08:51 AM »
My garage balances my new wheels and puts on stick on weights. Fairly often they are on the floor the next day. The adhesive is crap

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »

Another tip to removing the remaining adhesive is to use a 3M adhesive remover wheel on a cordless drill.  These are similar to the one's used for removing decals/pin striping, but are meant for adhesive.

They remove the stuck on adhesive without damaging the wheels. Then wipe down the area with brake cleaner or 70% alcohol prior to adding weights.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »
This may and probably is a dumb question, but it would be dumber of me not to ask or mention this. Could your car have a set of wrong calipers on it?
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 03:46:43 PM »
Over the last 40 years I've had three complete sets of 10 spokes. Originals.

All were purchased used by me. The first set is a legitimate 67 set with no cast in spacers.

It's been a long time since I bought those but I'm very sure that they had indications on the edge of the rims of having clip on weights on them. Jeff, WTF?

I can tell you that IF you are using either the 67, no-spacer wheel or the 68 type with the cast in spacer, you do not have enough room to use tape on weights on the inside of the wheel in the vicinity of the brake caliper.

Besides the fact that you should be grinding off the witness line (in the casting) of the caliper for clearance, the weights should go between the spokes of the wheel. Nowhere else.

I know that is seemingly against the laws of the Universe but hey, those wheels are genuine Shelby items, not Ford and in case you didn't know it by now, Shelby marched to the beat of his own drum. So that's the way it is. Love 'em or leave 'um.  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »
Over the last 40 years I've had three complete sets of 10 spokes. Originals.

All were purchased used by me. The first set is a legitimate 67 set with no cast in spacers.

It's been a long time since I bought those but I'm very sure that they had indications on the edge of the rims of having clip on weights on them. Jeff, WTF?

I can tell you that IF you are using either the 67, no-spacer wheel or the 68 type with the cast in spacer, you do not have enough room to use tape on weights on the inside of the wheel in the vicinity of the brake caliper.

Besides the fact that you should be grinding off the witness line (in the casting) of the caliper for clearance, the weights should go between the spokes of the wheel. Nowhere else.

I know that is seemingly against the laws of the Universe but hey, those wheels are genuine Shelby items, not Ford and in case you didn't know it by now, Shelby marched to the beat of his own drum. So that's the way it is. Love 'em or leave 'um.  ::)
I thought I would remind that this is a 66 Shelby category thread and consequently the default would be talking about 66 14 inch tenspoke wheels.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby