News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

So, I got into a Facebook pissing match about new re-creations of 1965 Shelbys..

Started by Cobrask8, March 29, 2018, 12:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnston

The cost is probably what will make owners determine what to call their cars.  When the price of a "continuation" Shelby type vehicle approaches the cost of a true 60's original, buyers may tend to justify the cost to themselves with the "original" statement. 

Cobrask8

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on April 04, 2018, 03:54:40 PM
Quote from: ITHERTZ on April 04, 2018, 09:37:02 AM
SAAC and MCA better figure out right now how they intend to handle these when entered into concours judging.
I think it will be easy. When one of the owners brings it for judging, just flip open the 65-67 Registry to the appropriate page and ask: "if you don't mind good sir, please point to the entry that details which original R car you intend on entering for judging today"? 

Bam!!!!!  Modified Mustang and recreation judging is over there yonder .  ;D

QSS

That is what I go by. Original production in the Registry. Otherwise, Modified.

98SVT - was 06GT

One only needs to look at the crowd of owners with "continuation" CSX Cobras.  There have been many examples of owners who firmly believe and report that they have an "original" Shelby Cobra.  They will flat out deny that it is a replica, but are fully aware that they were built in the last 2 decades and not in the 60s. 
Problem here it is an original. It was built by SA. It does come with and MSO from SA. The only difference is it was made yesterday and has no history. They are worth less because there are more of them. The 1,300 2000 and 3000 series will always garner a higher price. Don't forget CS put a $500,000 price tag on the "lost frame" cars.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

ITHERTZ

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 04, 2018, 11:27:31 PM
One only needs to look at the crowd of owners with "continuation" CSX Cobras.  There have been many examples of owners who firmly believe and report that they have an "original" Shelby Cobra.  They will flat out deny that it is a replica, but are fully aware that they were built in the last 2 decades and not in the 60s. 
Problem here it is an original. It was built by SA. It does come with and MSO from SA. The only difference is it was made yesterday and has no history.

Please don't take offense, but you just proved my point.

427heaven

Please lets not manipulate the English language, there are others out there that can put a spin on what is original. Would you purchase a FAUX,FAKE,RECREATION,WANNABE,CONTINUATION, or a number of other words to put a SPINOFF of an ORIGINAL. Not me I would prefer the ORIGINAL PICASSO art work or an ORIGINAL Rolex watch or a Gucci bag well you get my point. Having something with a muddy past, made in a foreign land, frame rails,bodies and a host of items that put a negative vibe on the man and his companies complicate matters. To right the wrongs,most prefer his products when they were more pure and called ORIGINALS as we know them to be. Just my 2 cents worth-

R Code

- Chris

5s386

I remember looking at a 65 Shelby at a car show in Laguna Seca and the vin was SFM5S563. Can't
remember who built it as a Continuation car.

98SVT - was 06GT

Well the horse has left the gate - the first car has been completed and shipped to Europe. Rick Titus tested it at Willow Springs on 4-5 and it was shipped 4-6. The buyer wanted it built to full 1965 FIA specs. No new body mods and solid axle.
FIA has issued the certification and the car is ready for it's new German owner to race.

turbonut48t

More Snake Oil.   

They are Original-Like.  Or Replicas. Or Continuation, NOT originals.

The Nut     TomH
Enough is enough, too much is just right!    C.S.

terlingua11

SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: terlingua11 on April 13, 2018, 01:13:40 PM
Saw this in the Wall Street journal the other day. Looks like one had left the gate before this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-teenage-obsession-became-a-shelby-mustang-collection-1523367001
There were 2 prototypes - for lack of a better description. One was built with live axle and the other to refine the IRS installation. They were run side by side to gauge development. I suspect that he has one of those 2 cars.

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 13, 2018, 01:44:31 PM
There were 2 prototypes - for lack of a better description. One was built with live axle and the other to refine the IRS installation. They were run side by side to gauge development. I suspect that he has one of those 2 cars.

Do you know if the two were objectively compared for ride & performance?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 2112 on April 13, 2018, 06:35:33 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 13, 2018, 01:44:31 PM

Do you know if the two were objectively compared for ride & performance?
I don't know about ride quality it was done to determine how much faster the IRS was than live axle - I don't have the number but it was quicker.

mark p

Quote from: terlingua11 on April 13, 2018, 01:13:40 PM
Saw this in the Wall Street journal the other day. Looks like one had left the gate before this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-teenage-obsession-became-a-shelby-mustang-collection-1523367001

^^ A guy at work gave me a copy of the article (didn't read it thru yet). I saw that "Original Venice Crew" nomenclature and sorta wondered what is was... thought about this but not sure if the article would have enough details to be sure. More muddy water.
I guess when in doubt, "eschew obfuscation"  ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

roddster

Part of the issue is this:  Lets all watch and make sure that whatever they're talking about registry is defined.  SAAC, Team Shelby, whatever todays Shelby/American calls it self.