News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 GT350 stripe color (white)

Started by Boxerville's Manor, January 03, 2021, 01:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxerville's Manor

Hello,
I have a question:  Were the white 1966 GT350 stripes over the top of the car wimbledon white?  Or were they a different color white?  I ask that because the side stripe kits don't look wimbledon white but more of a pure white.  With that said, if the over the car stripes were wimbledon white and the side decal stripes were NOT wimbledon white, wouldn't there be a color issue apparent to the eye?   

JD

not Wimbledon,  page 1306 of the 2011 '65-'67 SAAC Registry list White Lemans Stripe color as "Chevrolet Commercial White"

don't shoot the messenger!

image added...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Boxerville's Manor

JD,
Thanks for the info.  I prefer the color of wimbledon white over any other white but this is good info to know for me going forward. 

Side-Oilers

Good thing they didn't use that "C car" paint name in the sales & marketing materials.   ;D ;D ;D
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

JD

Quote from: evantugby on January 03, 2021, 02:05:14 PM
JD,
Thanks for the info.  I prefer the color of wimbledon white over any other white but this is good info to know for me going forward. 

The white spec'd matched the white of the vinyl Shelby used on the lower sides on the '66 cars better, Wimbledon was a "warm white", as you know, and would not have matched the lower side stripes.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Karguy

Interesting bit of Shelby trivia. I worked at a DuPont auto paint store many years ago and remember that Wimbledon white and Chevy commercial white, (also called blue tone white) had both been around for ever. The two whites side by side makes Wimbledon white look almost tan.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

red66

The information I received many years ago is that since Ford did not have a true white paint in 1966, only Wimbledon white, Chevrolet Commercial White was used.  When the cars were first introduced in the spring of 64, Ford made a limited number of Indy 500 pace cars that were bright white with blue interiors.  When I visited the parts counter at my friendly local Chevrolet dealer and asked for Chevrolet Commercial White, they said "Which one?"; there are apparently 6-8 choices.  I suppose you can't go wrong having a skilled painter simply match the white side stripes.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: red66 on January 19, 2021, 04:23:17 PM
The information I received many years ago is that since Ford did not have a true white paint in 1966, only Wimbledon white, Chevrolet Commercial White was used.  When the cars were first introduced in the spring of 64, Ford made a limited number of Indy 500 pace cars that were bright white with blue interiors.  When I visited the parts counter at my friendly local Chevrolet dealer and asked for Chevrolet Commercial White, they said "Which one?"; there are apparently 6-8 choices.  I suppose you can't go wrong having a skilled painter simply match the white side stripes.

The pace car coupes had white interiors.  Those cars were painted a 'Fleet" white.

As to 66 Shelby stripes in white, it probably makes a difference if the stripes were done at SA or by the selling dealer.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

We always called Chevy white Refrigerator white.
CS went to the Chevy pallet again in 67 and used 66 Corvette Sunfire Yellow on the TransAm cars.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless