Author Topic: Brake Distributor Rebuild Kit  (Read 2201 times)

Jbrooks

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Brake Distributor Rebuild Kit
« on: March 21, 2021, 10:33:59 PM »
I'm needing to rebuild my brake distributor, but I'm having issues finding the right rebuild kit.  The only one that I find that looks legit is from West Coast Classic Cougars, but I wanted to check here before I purchase.  Does anyone have any leads on the right 67 rebuild kit for the brake distributor? 

Thanks in advance!
67 GT350 #2260
“If you ain’t first, you’re last”

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Distributor Rebuild Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 12:33:37 AM »
I'm needing to rebuild my brake distributor, but I'm having issues finding the right rebuild kit.  The only one that I find that looks legit is from West Coast Classic Cougars, but I wanted to check here before I purchase.  Does anyone have any leads on the right 67 rebuild kit for the brake distributor? 

Thanks in advance!
You maybe mean the brake proportioning valve in the rear of the 67.That is the long cylinder and WCC sells rebuild kits for that one along with ones for the later version that look the same but have different size rebuild parts. Just make sure it is for the early proportioning valve that is original for your car (C7 marked). The distribution block which is up front does not have many components inside to rebuild although the piston inside can get stuck from time to time. Apparently there is a rebuild kit available.  If the piston inside gets stuck off center one way or the other the brake warning light illuminates.There is a highly recommended tool that NPD sells that screws into where the brake warning switch goes. The tool has a steel pin that keeps the piston centered while you bleed the brakes . Once the brakes are bled you take the tool out and replace the warning switch. Bleeding the brakes can be a chore without using the tool.At least this is the way the stock 67 is set up. I have seen where 68-70 units have been substituted . The 68-70 has the proportioning valve mounted up front next to the distribution block. The 67 proportioning valve cylinder looks the same as the 68-70  version but it is mounted near the rear rubber brake hose.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 04:28:53 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 12:55:41 AM »
Just to help out.  Here are a couple of the valves mounted at the rear of the car as Bob referred to. It's is the tubular item made of brass with the very short brake line attached to the outer (as mounted) end of the valve.

They were originally unpainted

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Jbrooks

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 06:48:57 AM »
I’m looking for the seals that go on the piston and the metal seal that goes in the end threaded connection of the distribution block. I have already taken care of the rear proportioning valve, but thanks for the help on that.
67 GT350 #2260

Jbrooks

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 08:39:36 AM »
After numerous searches, it looks like NPD has it.  If anyone else is looking for one, here is the link to the part:  https://www.npdlink.com/product/rebuild-kit-brake-pressure-differential-valve/169774
67 GT350 #2260

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 08:59:13 AM »
Who is WWC Bob?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 09:41:59 AM »
Who is WWC Bob?
I meant WCC West Coast Cougar.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
I have used kits from Muscle Car Research:
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/valve-kit-wagner-dist
Check your rubber rings closely - some are "O" rings and some are "X" rings.
I have had problems using an O ring where an X ring should go resulting in seepage through the differential switch.  The NPD kit doesn't look like it contains any X rings.
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Jbrooks

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 11:48:14 AM »
I have used kits from Muscle Car Research:
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/valve-kit-wagner-dist
Check your rubber rings closely - some are "O" rings and some are "X" rings.
I have had problems using an O ring where an X ring should go resulting in seepage through the differential switch.  The NPD kit doesn't look like it contains any X rings.
Kurt.

Kurt,
Looking at the product information sheet on NPD, it’s noted that the package contains 2 x-rings and 1 o-ring. I believe the single o-ring is for the later model brake distribution block. Thanks for noting that, but I think this package from NPD will work. I just have to wait a painful 3 days for it to be delivered...

Can’t wait to drive!!!!
67 GT350 #2260

Vcode

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 12:24:17 PM »

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 01:23:45 PM »
Yes, it looks like NPD carries the kits from MCR.  The photo in the link is hopefully not representative.
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB