Author Topic: 1967 starter details  (Read 6815 times)

imming1965

• View Profile
1967 starter details
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
does anyone have pictures and details about 67 starters for small block 4 speed. I believe i have correct starter housing but not sure about the band and the cover.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 1967 starter details
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
When was your car built?

Two different versions were used during 67 productions. The early version was installed through the production year IMHO while in the later production period either the late or early were being installed so best to start out with what time period your asking about
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

imming1965

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 04:29:44 PM »
mid production for 1376

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 04:51:00 PM »
Can't make out the date - it's at the end of the bottom line stamping on that version.

On first look of course the paint job is incorrect as pointed out in earlier threads. Fully assembled, painted semi-gloss black with a fading away of paint on the snout to no paint in most or all where the starter attaches to the bell housing and engine plate to ensure good grounding for operation.

Metal plug is a replacement, it is a similar shape to an original depends on how exact you want.  Appears, can see an edge, to be missing the heavy paper gasket under the band

Band machine screw and nut would have been a straight slotted head and a square nut

Going though additional pictures think the electrical stud has a non-factory like gasket and the retaining nut is incorrect but will check
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:22:06 PM »
To add to Jeff's observations - Even though your hand is probably covering the ribs   ;) on the 1970 and later nose cone you can still tell it is a latter 70's housing because of the ribs or protrusions that are seen sticking out on the exterior band of the nose cone compared to the all smooth band on a earlier 1960's style nose cone . The band on a 60's part is smooth where as the later parts have the ribs or protrusions along the outside band. It is just easier to explain the rib feature as the most noticeable non 60's feature when searching out a viable vintage part. Even though it is out of sight once installed but you can still tell its a later style nose cone part  none the less .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 09:56:15 PM »
Maybe these images will help?

I think I got them from this forum in October of this year, they seem to display some of the points Jeff and Bob are discussing.

I can delete them if they are more confusing than helpful...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 10:00:43 PM »
Maybe these images will help?

I think I got them from this forum in October of this year, they seem to display some of the points Jeff and Bob are discussing.

I can delete them if they are more confusing than helpful...
All good except the round back bendix cover which is a 65 early 66 feature.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 10:32:16 AM »
Here is the correct Mustang small block nose cone, regardless of transmission, until the larger diameter, manual flywheel was used in Mustangs(1968),etc. , C3OF-11131-A, compared to a later style with the strengthening ribs as Bob described.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:53:36 PM by 430dragpack »

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
Here is the correct cover as Bob describes and part of the paper gasket under the band Jeff describes. This is ‘66 dated, but I can’t make out the month.  I have another original big block, ink stamped starter that is dated Jan. Of ‘66 and it has the earlier cover, so sometime around/after that is the possible changeover for the cover??  Now all he needs to know is when Ford approximately switched to the die stamped housing.  I don’t really want to dig through all my starters to look at dates right now, it is a great arm workout!!  :o
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:02:09 PM by 430dragpack »

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »
  Great pictures.  Now we can get the stamp in the correct location.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 12:13:53 PM »
I have a question;
I measured height of 5 different nose cones.
Why are some taller than their counterparts?
I always kind of though that, auto to a 4 speed car, that rationalization does not appear to be correct>
OR, small flywheel to larger flywheel., which brings in the added strength webs?

BTW, when did the big clutch larger flywheel begin, Bronco ?
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 12:27:59 PM »

BTW, when did the big clutch larger flywheel begin, Bronco ?
John
1965 Galaxies, trucks and probably others. That’s why the small block, large diameter manual trans. flywheel(BOSS 302,etc) originally used the C5TF-A nose cone until about Jan-Feb of 1970 with the C7AF-F starter, then went to the DOTZ-A (NO ribs) nose cone at about the same time they started using the D0AF-C starter, replacing the C7AF-F starter. Small block, Small diameter manuals and about all automatics used the C3OF-A nose cone until 1970 model year when the D0OF-A nose cone started then the D2(ribbed)nose cones.  Confused yet? There is also a D0AF-D nose cone for a large flywheel manual that has the ribs, but haven’t seen enough to determine their usage, the few I’ve seen are dated 1972. 
Top cone in picture is the C5TF-A, large flywheel manual trans, bottom is the C3OF-A. The C3 is about 1/2” longer than the C5TF from mounting flange to the bushing end. The overall thickness of all the nose cones is pretty much the same at ~3.5”.
Second picture is the C5TF-A and D0TZ-A that replaced it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 02:25:25 PM by 430dragpack »

imming1965

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 03:27:50 PM »
Can't make out the date - it's at the end of the bottom line stamping on that version.

jeff i looked at date and it appears to be may 67 date so just a little late for 1376...so my guess its looking like this would be better for an early 68 car and needs all the other changes mentioned in post replies. thanks for info

imming1965

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »
Thanks 430 these are the details and info i was looking for. A+++ and thanks for all the other replies Bob, JD, and others

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 03:35:11 PM »
If you need a C3 nose cone, I have some extras.
Chris