News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Checkered Flag : Jim Cowles (acman63)

Started by jesSPR, January 04, 2021, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT350Lad

I have already posted before but though I would share this. I was totally devastated to hear about Jim. So sad. I knew Jim for about 7 years. He helped me tremendously with the resto of my car and we communicated so often by email I was always so happy to get an (short and concise) email off him.
We spoke on the phone a few times too and he always has the time to help an amateur restorer like me. Helped me with everything from my seatbelt resto to my engine and bolts I was missing for headers. Nothing was too little for Jim.
A great friend and I was missing him in this world.
Rest In Peace mate
6S373
6S1276

LegalRevs

My favorite Jim quote.   "Them parts ain't worth anything till I find someone who will buy them"...LOL.  RIP  Good
Fella. 

PR

RIP, Brother you have always been there for me since my first shelby in the 90's you will be missed

Coralsnake

Jim was one of my original mentors. I watched closely how he operated and what he had accomplished.

His work was appreciated and I always enjoyed visiting him. Our lunches were always educational.

Bob Gaines

Jim was one of my teachers.I met Jim in the early 80's and tried to absorb every tidbit of info he shared with me. It was extremely satisfying and fulfilling when I was able share information back to him when he would call or email me over the years . He had helped me so much with my early education in Shelby's. I feel the same way with my other teachers that are still vertical .  When I first met Jim he was intimidating and I didn't know how to take him because he was seemingly grumpy all the time but realized shortly that was not grumpy but just his mannerism and not intentional.It was easier to talk to him face to face because he would flash a slight smile that would give away that he was not grumpy.  He would give the shirt off his back to help a guy. It was kind of funny because for a long time I would be sure to tell people that I had recommended to call him for parts or advice with a chuckle not to get put off thinking that he was mad at them by the way he talked . I chuckled because I knew the teddy bear softy he was underneath. I really miss that guy.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Jim gave a damn. If the "right" stuff wasn't available, he had it made "right". We did allot of business together and that was the re occurring theme , make it right or don't waste the time.
   RIP my friend.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Clone65

I was just hit with this a couple of days ago...GREAT MAN ...right up there (or above) Shelby himself in my book.
Parts on my car passed through his and Jes's hands.
What a TEAM.
He will be missed.

FH187

Got help several times from Jim over the years!After internet came,he sold me some nice stuff during my second restoration.Very sad news!Condolences to his family and friends!

cowles2138

This is Jim's daughter, Emily. I come to this thread from time to time to read the kind words and stories you all have about my dad. Thank you all for sharing, please continue to keep his memory and legacy alive. Feel free to send stories my way as you think of them!

God's speed

J_Speegle

Welcome Emily.  Glad the comments and memories have helped and touched you as your dad did for many of us.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

Hi Emily, your dad was truly a kind man to me and helped me a lot with my GT350s resto. Always returned my emails and we had a good banter.
Good guy and friend
Trent
6S373
6S1276

66GT350x3

I met Jim in 1978 when I moved to Green Bay.  I worked with Ken Young who introduced me to Jim.  Ken, Jim, myself and often others had lunch together talking Shelby's.  My first Shelby, a green/gold Hertz (6S 1023) had come and gone.  Through the encouragement of Jim and Ken I purchased 6S 1314 and 6S 1545 while in Green Bay.  Jim was also very helpful selling me the parts I needed, or providing me with a lead on something.  This was before the Internet. 

After moving from Green Bay, I still kept in touch with Jim.  Saw him at Road America, at SAAC Conventions, talked on the phone, or through emails.  There were many topics Jim was knowledgeable on in addition to Shelby's and he was a pleasure to talk to, but usually in a hurry.  Jim had energy!   I do miss him!
Mike

shelbyman

I had heard about Jim's passing earlier this year and was very shocked to hear that sad news.  I was lucky enough to know Jim as he worked on my car after I bought it in the late 2000's.  I subsequently spoke with and purchased parts from Jim.  He was always very helpful and friendly to me which I much appreciated.  I was also lucky enough to get to meet Jim and spend some time with him at the MCA convention celebrating the Mustang's 40th Anniversary in Nashville.  I'm sad that Jim isn't with us anymore but my memories of him will live on forever.   RIP Jim

Mr.Guts

The upcoming Northwoods Region Road America event on June 24th-27th will pay tribute to Jim. There will be a remembrance on Saturday and he is featured on the event t-shirt. Bring those Shelbys out!

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Would love to get one of the t shirts and/or posters of this. Can you order online?
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎