News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Checkered Flag : Jim Cowles (acman63)

Started by jesSPR, January 04, 2021, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vernon Estes

Its been a few days and still shocked by Jim's passing.

I remember meeting Jim at his shop before SAAC39. It was like meeting a giant of the hobby.

Jim was encouraging to me from the earliest days in the hobby, always fun to "shoot the shit" with, and I personally feel lucky to have considered him among my friends.

As Mark said above..Jim lives on within the hearts of those who knew him. I'm sure Jim's memory will cross all our minds while enjoying the cars for the rest of our days.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

blackjade

I met Jim at SAAC 22 when I stopped by his tent in the swap meet.

Bought some Boss 9 stuff from him and it started a great friendship.

I eventually bought my Black Jade 9 from him which further bolstered our friendship.

Jim was a character and will be sorely missed.

Godspeed and my sincerest condolences to his family.

Iceman

Very sad news.  Condolences to his family.  :'(

69 237

Very interesting to talk to Jim while he was working on parts - an incredible wealth of knowledge.  Was a great help putting my Dad's car together.  Thanks Jim.  RIP

66S285

Quote from: jesSPR on January 05, 2021, 04:15:09 PM
I was in middle school n the late 80's and learned about Shelby's from my father who owned 67 GT500 #1926 while he was in the navy in '69. I started reading everything I could find on Mustangs and Shelbys. One day my dad took me for a ride and drove past jim's shop. He said "Check that out, there is a Shelby Shop right here in Green Bay!"
I wanted to stop in and he said "Nah, thats someones business, not a museum. Maybe someday you can work there if you are still really into Shelby's."
In 2006 I was in search of a better IT job market and planning to move to MA where some close friends of mine had moved after college. A friend/former coworker, who happened to be working for jim at the time, was moving to OK for an aerospace job. He suggested I talk to Jim. I did one swap meet with him and we hit it off.  Soon after I cancelled my move and set up a desk at Jims... and that was that.

Great story Jes. I hope you can keep it going somehow for the good of the Shelby community.

Rick
66S285

Mr.Guts

I was a teenager looking for some Shelby parts to put on my Mustang when I first contacted Jim. He was patient with me and took the time to answer my questions. A handful of years later I got involved in the running of the Northwoods Region, a group he helped start. Jim was always supportive and there to help if we needed it. It was never "his" club that he was trying to sustain, but Jim had a genuine love and respect for the cars and that's what he wanted to see continue.

Later when I restored my Shelby, Jim was a source for parts. On the rare occasion he wouldn't have something I needed, he would say, "Let me see what I can do". Without fail, Jim would come through with whatever I was looking for.

Thank you Jim for the help over the years. The parts, the support, the stories, and taking the time with a kid to share the passion for Shelby.

Erik

capecodmustang.com

My fondest memory of Jim is when he would call me.

He wouldn't say "hi"....He'd just jump right in....
"What you doing with that 66 Gt 350 project ..?"
"Got a guy that's selling his 68 500.  Interested?"

I saw the 920 area code and knew it was him.

He sold me 67 GT 500 # 225 all apart years ago which I still have. 

I've lost some good friends in the Shelby community over the last year or so.

Bret

mgreene

Bought a set of polished rim Torque Thrusts from him years ago - when they arrived, they were missing the lug nuts. Called him up and with no hesitation he had a full set fedEx'd to me. Customer service at its best!
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

markboss

Bought a few parts over the many years, how old, cause and obit info?
RIP..

V8Dave

Very shocked and saddened to hear of jims passing. I brought many parts from him however never got the chance to meet him. Was always a pleasure to talk to on the phone.
Condolences and prayers to his family. Although he maybe gone from this mortal curve Jim will live on in the hearts of all his friends,family, and cars he help build and supply parts for.
R.I.P Jim God speed.

terlingua11

I met Jim in the early 80's when I was in High School. My younger brother took a liking to Shelby's and my Dad found a local 69 for him to drive back and forth to school in. The family was bitten after that. Over the years we would restore 2 cars with Jim. A 66 and a 67. Our weekends would be my brother and I driving up to see Jim, the cars and nose around to what he was doing. We would be known as "the boy's" from there on out. I think because we were always hanging around.... There was no internet, so if you wanted to see stuff you had to actually go there to see it.

My fondest memory would be how in many of those trips, my brother and I would meander down the hill to the other building ( now Big3 ) and see his blue cobra sitting there. CSX2122. We would hint around that we never got a ride in it....... Jim was always busy answering phone calls and working on the restorations to bother with the 2 kids. As we would head back to Milwaukee we would always comment.... maybe next time he will take us out. Unfortunately it never happened................... so in 2015 when CSX2122 was for sale....... I bought it. Bucket list item checked. We finally got our ride!  8)

Jim will be missed, that was a tough call to take when I heard the news. I second the idea of a SAAC award in his honor-
Jeff
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

stephen_becker

Pretty amazing life. That is what Jim had - He touched a tremendous amount of people and I was blessed to be able to enjoy Jim's friendship since 1977. He was the one of the first four Shelby people that I spoke to when I got into the hobby at the ripe old age of 10 (the others being CS, Tony Branda & Jim Wicks). They all took my call!  :D

We had a lot of fun running around the country, chasing dreams and cars and what-ever else we could find. We stirred up the pot and made alot of people smile in the intern. I will miss him and will think of him often. I spoke with him on the phone the day before he died and he sounded good (better then he had sounded in months) and I know he chose to go the way he wanted to go and I am glad I was able to share those couple of minutes with him to let him know that my family & I were thinking about him and praying for his family.

God bless you Jim - Gone but will not be forgotten

Stephen

mjv458

Had my Shelby over 20 years and Jim was one of the best went searching for parts or information. He will surely be missed by me. May you rest in peace Jim while sitting in a Shelby of course.

dsdresto

Wow!! So sorry to hear about Jim my prayers are with his family. Never got to meet him personally but restored many parts for him & bought many parts from him over the years. He was a great asset to this hobby & truly will be missed.