News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT500 Thermactor Configurations

Started by nightmist67, March 30, 2018, 04:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Also, why are we acting like the Thermactor crap is some sort of freaking secret decoder ring crap?

It is the single biggest PITA about a California delivered '67. Can't there be an open discussion about getting the stuff reasonably correct without all the drama?

Is there truly embarrassment if it isn't perfect? Or a chance to make a correction? Until recently, nobody even wanted this junk on their car.

It is understandable that the knowledge of how it was done is getting rare, are we worried counterfeiters will use this secret Thermactor knowledge for nefarious purposes? Sheesh.

67_1183

Quote from: 2112 on March 31, 2018, 12:14:00 PM
Also, why are we acting like the Thermactor crap is some sort of freaking secret decoder ring crap?

It is the single biggest PITA about a California delivered '67. Can't there be an open discussion about getting the stuff reasonably correct without all the drama?

Is there truly embarrassment if it isn't perfect? Or a chance to make a correction? Until recently, nobody even wanted this junk on their car.

It is understandable that the knowledge of how it was done is getting rare, are we worried counterfeiters will use this secret Thermactor knowledge for nefarious purposes? Sheesh.

LOL, that is a fact.  I removed 1183's thermactor system in 1976, soon after I bought the car and changed the spark plugs the first time.  Threw all the stuff in a box and fortunately kept the box.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

J_Speegle

Quote from: nightmist67 on March 31, 2018, 09:33:57 AM
If it is any help in determining the emission system configuration specific to my car, it was built at San Jose 1/31/67 (low 900s Shelby serial number range) and it has the original shock towers.  There are holes in the shock tower for the filter canister bracket.

Specifically, I want to know the proper locations and orientations of the gulp valve and filter canister for my car.  I have seen various photos of the gulp valve oriented upright, perpendicular to the hood and parallel to the passenger side fender, and perpendicular to the hood and at an approximate 45 degree angle to the passenger side fender. 

The "angle" of the valve is controlled by the length of the hoses don't believe there is any adjustment just some using hoses other than what was original. The hose that runs from the top of the filter appears to have the biggest impact on the final resting angle and when owners/restores cut them from bulk stock I thing this is where the larger notable variations show up

Quote from: nightmist67 on March 31, 2018, 09:33:57 AMWith respect to the filter canister, I have seen photos of the filter canister attached to the shock tower via its bracket or simply suspended by its hoses.

Your car would have had the small bracket holding your filter to the passenger side shock tower with two small hex head screws and the different lower feed hose. There are at least two versions of the filter canisters and originally the top wing nut was painted with the complete filter. Something many restorers get incorrect

Easy to see these are not finished correctly or restored. They are simply takeoffs

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Couple of pictures from 67-962 as requested

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on March 31, 2018, 12:14:00 PM

Think your missing the point. Owners and builders look to this site for guidance and help and providing incorrect or inaccurate details and information does not serve that purpose. Don't see see many requests here asking for something close or just something to get by. Please don't turn this into something it is not or read into the discussion something that is not there.  ::)

OP has provided some additional information and we can move forward in helping him with their need at this point, willingly and with focus. Here to help

67_1183

I thought the driver's side valve cover was supposed to have the low profile ribbed Autolite cap when on a Thermactor car? Oh, one with Autolite script on it too.

I think it obvious, this car has been molested.

67_1183

Sarcasm aside, 1183's valve cover and oil fill caps match that shown on the pics of #962 with one deviation.  1183's are chrome.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on March 31, 2018, 03:31:40 PM
I thought the driver's side valve cover was supposed to have the low profile ribbed Autolite cap when on a Thermactor car? Oh, one with Autolite script on it too.

I think it obvious, this car has been molested.
Not so obvious because I have seen a number of the thermactor GT500's with the tall painted black caps . Typically if the valve cover cap was black so was the oil fill cap. Just another example of how complicated a subject this is. People for the most part are not trying to keep information from you and others but more like as soon as you come up with a ruling on some these parts a anomaly shows up to challenge the consciences. There are a lot of different facets to the 67 GT500 smog system. The closed emissions short  "cookie cutter" cap is what the system was engineered to get but that may not have happened because of supply problems at the engine plant. There were not many smog engines produced in 67 relatively speaking.  Strangely the oil fill cap should be a closed emission style also for the system to be totally closed off but that is not what I have seen on an unmolested cars. I feel the picture of #962 taken in the summer of 1967 is unmolested.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Well, I did think that I read the closed "cookie cutter" cap was correct for Thermactor cars,

But comment was an attempt at sarcasm.   ::)

Bob Gaines

I thought I would comment that the rounded top intake fill cap in the picture is just on of several different varieties that could have come on a 67 GT500 thermactor car . In the picture of 962 for example the rounded top cap also has 'oil' embossed in the top. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

In the pictures of 962 above, is the canister free floating or was it hard mounted at an angle?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on April 01, 2018, 12:19:09 AM
In the pictures of 962 above, is the canister free floating or was it hard mounted at an angle?
It is not hard mounted at a angle. With that said it could be that it came out of the band clamp because it looks a little different than the ones that are free floating. It is hard to say from the angle .

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on April 01, 2018, 12:19:09 AM
This is part of those twists and turns associated with the subject.  Cars with thermactor with similar (read close to in number) Shelby VIN to this car are from a different order group. Looking at other cars from the same order group that I have pictures and such from have the mount attached to the shock tower which would strongly IMHO suggest that 67-962 also had the shock tower attaching point for the filter canister

The angle that the canister is sitting at in the picture is a bit odd but its interesting that it appears that someone took some electrical tape and tapped the hose to the positive battery cable possibly to keep something from rattling. Of course it appears that this would do little, since the cable itself is flexible, but someone was trying to correct or fix something and not IMHO something done at San Jose nor something seen on any other Shelby I've seen.  Maybe an owner or dealer thing