News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Traction Bars

Started by s_eagle, January 07, 2021, 06:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJinSA

6S296 has a '65 housing
Tom Kubler
6S296

SFM6S087

Quote from: TJinSA on January 12, 2021, 09:33:23 PM
6S296 has a '65 housing

Thanks, Tim. I added that to my list in Reply #8.

Steve

greekz

6S1134 has a '66 housing and is an early February '66 build at SJ.  If this helps your list.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

427hunter

853 has a 66 housing and dog leg (kinked) over-rides.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

S7MS427

FWIW, 6S817 has a '66 type housing and over ride bars.  I haven't had the inner panels out in about seven years so I don't know if I have dog legs there or not.  I'll have to look for pictures.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

SFM6S087

All the above cars added to the list in reply #8.

Steve

TJinSA

Can straight and dog-legged bars be differentiated from under the car?
Tom Kubler
6S296

SFM5S000

Quote from: TJinSA on January 13, 2021, 06:11:45 PM
Can straight and dog-legged bars be differentiated from under the car?

Yes, the "dogleg" can be viewed from the underside. It's approximately below the frame rail dog-legging into the wheel well before it enters the slot/hole into the interior above the forward part of the leaf spring.
Obviously, the straight bar is in the same location, just without the dog leg.

Cheers
~Earl J

98SVT - was 06GT

I'd vote more for T bars sitting on the shelf with newer (kinked) ones being put in front when they came in rather than Ford serial number build order being the reason. For that to be the case cars would have been assembled and stored randomly then drug out and having the Shelby tag put on.
For the housing the Ford numbers could be the indicator between housing dates or even that Ford was using up housings as they dug deeper into their parts pile. Was there a period where regular 66 K Mustangs got 65 housings early in their build cycle?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelby 711

6S711 has a 66 housing with kinked bars .

Plajoie

On 6S521 has dog leg override.  Shaved fine thread bolts on the rear axle.  The bolts on the floor mounted brackets were missing alone with the brackets that were ripped out of the floor.  I purchased new brackets that came with Course threaded bolts.

SFM6S087

Thanks to all who are contributing info here. I'm trying to keep reply #8 updated with new reports of axle housing types. And I'm keeping track of the straight/kinked traction bars being reported, but haven't put together a good list for posting here yet.

Steve

gt350hr

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 13, 2021, 06:35:47 PM
I'd vote more for T bars sitting on the shelf with newer (kinked) ones being put in front when they came in rather than Ford serial number build order being the reason. For that to be the case cars would have been assembled and stored randomly then drug out and having the Shelby tag put on.
For the housing the Ford numbers could be the indicator between housing dates or even that Ford was using up housings as they dug deeper into their parts pile. Was there a period where regular 66 K Mustangs got 65 housings early in their build cycle?

The bars were delivered in "bindles" (pallets with card board sides) , not individual boxes. Straight bars were used up from the initial order placed for '65 production and over the counter "kits". Obviously the "second generation" bars ( probably 1,000-1,500 bars) were at the request of SAI and the "why" would be a great question for Chuck Cantwell.  SAI was TMs biggest customer by far and only OEM . They also made the Monte Carlo bars.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6R07mi

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 13, 2021, 06:35:47 PM

Looking at the photos of LAX GT350 production it appears they used a similar process as San Jose would, a pallet/crate/crib of parts arrives, a HiLo used to unload the truck and it's dropped along side the assembly line, parts are pulled until the pallet/crate/crib is empty and the next shipment is brought in and placed alongside, once the 1st batch is exhausted, they begin pulling parts from batch#2.
This is the most timesaving / economical method in a manual assembly process.
Still widely seen in non-automated production environments even today.
IMHO

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense